Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Started Jan 14, 2007 | Discussions
OP jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Thank you for understanding a simple statement that provides information that SOME might find interesting/helpful. I was beginning to think that I needed permission to post simple factual information.

Kananga wrote:

Come on Guy, it's just a comment regarding a Nikon D40 on a Nikon
D40 forum. I am sure that posts regarding Nikon D40s which dont
specifically help anyone in particular are not against forum rules
and can be discussed to a certain extent. Not only that but the
comment is helpful as I am sure there are plenty of D50 owners out
there who wish they had a brighter viewfinder and this will help
them decide to upgrade to the D40.
--
http://www.pbase.com/kananga

gmosc Veteran Member • Posts: 5,950

If I owned a D40 I would be testing my butt off with each and every lens I had in lots of situations. But That is the difference between me and the OP.
I personally think that this post is a kind of a lie.

The lie is- the viewfinder is bright but not bright enough to manual focus. Manual focus is the BIGGEST reason for a bright VF.

Actualy I think the OP HAS tried to manual focus and has found the limitaions but won't tell us because there are limits and if the OP posts his/hers true findings it will sound like a negative post and the OP is trying to be positive. Being positive all of the time is a dis-service to people trying to make a decision here.

Sorry for sounding rude, but my true opinion is that the OP is not helping anyone. And either the OP is lazy or trying to cover up a limitaion of the cam. I want more detail than the OP is willing to give. But By bieng rude I've closed the door for The OP to do any serious tests. Oh well, other people will do them. No loss.

Guy Moscoso

Guy, I am disappointed in your incorrect assumptions based upon absolutely nothing. I will not respond anymore to your accusations that are totally baseless, useless, uncalled for, and in a way, quite a sad commentery.

Guy, I'd suggest your not reading any of my posts in the future to avoid raising your blood pressure.

gmosc wrote:

If I owned a D40 I would be testing my butt off with each and every
lens I had in lots of situations. But That is the difference
between me and the OP.
I personally think that this post is a kind of a lie.
The lie is- the viewfinder is bright but not bright enough to
manual focus. Manual focus is the BIGGEST reason for a bright VF.
Actualy I think the OP HAS tried to manual focus and has found the
limitaions but won't tell us because there are limits and if the OP
posts his/hers true findings it will sound like a negative post and
the OP is trying to be positive. Being positive all of the time is
a dis-service to people trying to make a decision here.

Sorry for sounding rude, but my true opinion is that the OP is not
helping anyone. And either the OP is lazy or trying to cover up a
limitaion of the cam. I want more detail than the OP is willing to
give. But By bieng rude I've closed the door for The OP to do any
serious tests. Oh well, other people will do them. No loss.

Guy Moscoso

lucky pierre Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: Viewfinder, not lcd

Both cameras have viewfinders with only a 95% field of view, which makes it harder to compose shots without having to crop the edges later. I thiink that all Nikon DSLRs should offer a 100% field of view, and I don't get all that excited over bigger/brighter discussions.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 7,379

Hi jimr, I appreciate your simple, short comment on the difference between the viewfinder and LCD of the D40 and D50. Viewfinder brightness is important to me for no other reason than I prefer a bright viewfinder. I've handled the D40 and think it's a nice little package. What I don't understand is another persons need to post multi-paragraph diatribes criticizing the reason for a particular post. Just my opinion.

Regards, Paul
--
Lili's Dad

http://www.pbase.com/lilis_papa

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more

Thank you! I was truly shocked and disappointed that a simple observation could bring forth such uncalled for venom and an 'entitlement' to mind reading assumptions. Thank you for understanding.

Paul Pasco wrote:

Hi jimr, I appreciate your simple, short comment on the difference
between the viewfinder and LCD of the D40 and D50. Viewfinder
brightness is important to me for no other reason than I prefer a
bright viewfinder. I've handled the D40 and think it's a nice
little package. What I don't understand is another persons need to
post multi-paragraph diatribes criticizing the reason for a
particular post. Just my opinion.

Regards, Paul
--
Lili's Dad

http://www.pbase.com/lilis_papa

Brad Waldera Veteran Member • Posts: 5,697
Re: Viewfinder, not lcd

Ha ha ha. It was early in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet. Sorry for the goof.
--

A Father Best Teaches His Children By Who He Is and By What He Does.- From a picture frame I bought.

http://allmeans.smugmug.com/

Brad Waldera Veteran Member • Posts: 5,697

Wasn't there a post in a thread here somewhere with a person stating their viewfinder got brighter when their camera was turned on? Maybe that was a D80 though?
--

A Father Best Teaches His Children By Who He Is and By What He Does.- From a picture frame I bought.

Hmmm.....Good question. I have not noticed that. Anyone?

Brad Waldera wrote:

Wasn't there a post in a thread here somewhere with a person
stating their viewfinder got brighter when their camera was turned
on? Maybe that was a D80 though?
--
A Father Best Teaches His Children By Who He Is and By What He
Does.- From a picture frame I bought.

Stujoe Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856

I know in the D50, the viewfinder is rather dim until you put a battery in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Stujoe -
http://www.flickr.com/people/stujoe/

Nikon D50 (Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter)
Panasonic FZ7

I have both on hand now....so I can compare anything that you wish now. I'll be sending the D50 away on Monday...and I'll be home for another hour or so this morning ...so please ask any questions now if you want comparisons. By the way, the comparison made was with both cameras turned on.

Stujoe wrote:

I know in the D50, the viewfinder is rather dim until you put a
battery in the camera.

Brighter to do what?

What can you do with that brigher VF. That's my point. I will continue to read your posts in the hope that you post something useful.

Guy Moscoso

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,952

Kananga wrote:

"Upgrade" from a D50 to a D40?

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

lucky pierre Contributing Member • Posts: 649

D50/D40 Still only a 95% field of view. And GO PATRIOTS!

Brad,

The VF brightrness issue you talk about has to do with the fact that aperture can be closed on the lens when there is no power. That naturally gives less light and makes the VF darker. Some people notice that in a store when there wasn't a charged battery in the camera.

When you look through a modern SLR the apertere is as open as it can go. Even though you've set F22 the aperture is still as open as possible until the split second after you press the shutter. In that split second the aperture closes to f22 (for example) then the shutter opens and closes, then the aperture returns to the most open aperture possible with that lens.

Since you, Brad have a D70, too, you can try to use the button to preview the DOF to see the darkening effect. If you have any aperture less than the biggest hole, then you will notice a darker viewfinder. That is the same effect people have noticed in stores with D70, D50 (and maybe D40) without a battery in it.

Sorry for more than one paragraph (for anyone with a 15 second attention span.)

Guy Moscoso

On that subject, here is the dpreview comment in the D40 test:

" It would not therefore be fair to describe the D40 as a 'dumbed down' D50, far from it, the range of improvements and new features out-weigh those which have been removed or reduce, which would most likely not be missed by the average D40 owner."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What is more important for person A than B varies.

Patco wrote:

Kananga wrote:

"Upgrade" from a D50 to a D40?

Stujoe Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856

I figured you had them turned on. Nothing that I need compared because I won't be looking for a new dSLR for quite a while but thanks for the offer. I really think the D40 is a great camera. I just can't afford it for what I want to do.

-- hide signature --

Stujoe -
http://www.flickr.com/people/stujoe/

Nikon D50 (Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter)
Panasonic FZ7

Kananga Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Brighter to do what?

I don't think it's more about what you can and can't do with a brighter, better viewfinder but that you can do things better. A brighter viewfinder is going to be more helpful for low light compositions, not to mention better at providing image detail. Althought that really is just stating the obvious. A friend of mine has a D50 and it is just so much more pleasing to shoot through the D40 viewfinder. And when you take into account the cheaper cost and other added features you can see why so many people are upgrading their D50s for this little gem!
--

D80 and D200 are the same 95% as are the Canon 20D, Canon 30D, Canon Rebel Xti (400) etc.

Patriots! I agree. I hope!

lucky pierre wrote:

D50/D40 Still only a 95% field of view. And GO PATRIOTS!

Kananga Forum Member • Posts: 74

Upgrade" from a D50 to a D40?

Upgrade to a better viewfinder, better noise control, SDHC compatability, much better LCD, colour histograms etc etc

Unless you already have non AI-S lenses which you can't focus manually (aided no doubt fir the D40 by it;s bigger brighter viewfinder), are incapable of taking a picture with less than 5 auto focus areas or need to change your white balance settings every 5 minutes then the D40 would appear to be an upgrade in every other sense of the word.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads