H-5 Half-press focus problems

Started Jan 1, 2007 | Discussions
Lindymagoo Contributing Member • Posts: 591
H-5 Half-press focus problems

It seems there have been a number of complaints about this half-press, focus issue lately. The problem started with my camera yesterday, and I have reviewed threads from the last month or so, and several others have reported this as well.

Before I contact Sony, I would like to get an idea from STF members who have experienced this problem, whether it has resolved on its' own, or did it have to be repaired. It appears that to date, there have been reports by at least 4 members with this problem. While this is hardly an epidemic, it appears that those who have reported the problem, have had their camera for 1-3 months. I am wondering if this is a bad batch of cameras, or a general issue with the H-5 camera.

I appreciate any help on this before I contact Sony. Thanks in advance.

If you respond please list: 1) how long you have owned the camera.

2) did the half-press focus issue resolve on its' own, or did it require a repair?

-- hide signature --

Linda T.
An official, H-Series Duck Club Member!
H-1 and H-5
Can't we all just get along?

KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,729
Re: H-5 Half-press focus problems

I have had it about six weeks and it just started happening in the last week or two...
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfgirl/

• Karen

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
ricky jung Regular Member • Posts: 363

rots of ruck... my H2 went in for the same problem twice and hope it's done with after they worked or replaced the switch block....ask for a UPS label so you don't have to waste $12 bucks on shipping charges which I paid the 1st time around.

AAK Forum Pro • Posts: 16,272
Linda

I've had mine for seven months, approximately 14000 images. No problem with shutter (knock on wood!).

So it does not appear to be generic.

-- hide signature --

=~ AAK - http://www.aakatz.com
=~ Author of The White Paper
=~ http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper

tyampel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,809
Ditto here. Got mine before Alan got his. /nt
-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel

Duck Club member

OP Lindymagoo Contributing Member • Posts: 591
Re: Ditto here. Got mine before Alan got his. /nt

I am glad the older H5's are working flawlessly. It was AAK, and many others here who convinced me to step up to the H5 from the H1. It seems most of the problem units are newer....1-3 months old from what I can tell here. I will continue to monitor this. I can't afford to be without my camera this week, so I will follow this thread for a few more days before I call Sony to discuss the repair.

Thanks for the updates everyone!

-- hide signature --

Linda T.
H-1 and H-5

tyampel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,809
Where was yours made. Mine was made in Japan.

Typically the first few months Sony (as well as other makers) manufacter the cameras in Japan. After the initial kinks are ironed out, the production is moved to China.

I bought a second H1 right before it was discontinued and it was made in China. My first H1 was, of course, made in Japan.

Now I am not saying that cameras made in China are generally inferior, just want to see if there is a pattern here.

-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel

Duck Club member

nelraheb Senior Member • Posts: 1,769
Re: Where was yours made. Mine was made in Japan.

One member reported that his H5 bought from Dell during the sales has this problem. Now mine is also bought from Dell during the same time and has no problems so far (Knock on wood). Mine is made in Japan, I wonder where was his manufactured ?
BTW Does any body have an H5 that's manufactured outside of Japan
--
Nagy
Feel free to critique, pp my pics, post ideas,..etc.
I'm here to learn

Re: Where was yours made. Mine was made in Japan.

I checked; Mine was made in Japan; S/N 36346**

Thanks for thinking of that, though Todd.
--
Linda T.
H-1 and H-5

Barry Shiffrin Forum Member • Posts: 96

I just got my H5 on Friday and this morning my switch broke so that the half-press no longer works. I've tried all the resets and suggestions that I found here in the various posts, but nothing has helped.

I called the store where I bought it (B&H) and they agreed to exchange it since it was so new. Since I needed the camera right away, they suggested that I could buy a new one and they would refund my money on the first one once they got it. They agreed to pay the return shipping and also give me free shipping on the second camera. I was very impressed with their service.

Mine was made in Japan and had serial number 3572*

I hope the new one doesn't have this same problem.
--
Barry

Barry Shiffrin's gear list:Barry Shiffrin's gear list
Sony a6000
ANIMAL54 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi everyone im a newbie here and just purchased a new H5 got it home and started to play with it and come to find out it had this same problem with the half press focus , ended up being a bad cam went back to the store and picked up another one and all is well. Im not sure where the first one was made but the one I have now was made in Japan.

Wow.....thanks for updating this post. It is disturbing that those with "brand new" H5's are having the same problem. I appreciate the folks contributing to this thread. I hope Sony will be interested in this information, as well. We will see. Thanks again!
--
Linda T.
H-1 and H-5

BlackforestRunner Forum Member • Posts: 53

Hi @ all:

I have the H5 since about 3 weeks. I have taken about 2000 pictures until today and have no problem at all with the cam. No half-press -problems ( knock on wood). My device is made in Japan for EU only and has the SN: 4620470.

Just for everyones information.

Good Luck with you cam !

Mike

BlackforestRunner's gear list:BlackforestRunner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Pentax K-50
richg99 Contributing Member • Posts: 578

I have owned my H5 since Nov 21. I've taken a thousand or more pix since then with no problem so far. Made in Japan serial 3629xxx richg99
--
richg99

kathy1976 New Member • Posts: 1

I too have the half press focus problem with my H5. I have had my H5 since the end of September and have used it heavily. The problem started occuring around early November. Mine was made in Japan. I purchased my camera direct from sony so I guess I'll have to send it back to them for repair. I dread doing this which is in part why I have not sent it back yet. The other part of my reason is separation anxiety! I don't know if I can manage without it that long!!

UPDATE Re: H-5 Half-press focus problems

I called Sony customer service, and got a very nice lady who tried to help me with my half-press focus issue. I told her I had tried all the obvious things, like new batteries, memory card, and a camera reset, with no luck. I informed her that we may have a latent design defect or a bad batch of H-5's, but she did not seem too interested in knowing that. She told me I would have to send the camera to Laredo TX for a repair of the shutter button.

I asked about Sony picking up the tab for shipping the camera, and she informed me that since it is not a recall issue, she could not authorize that. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she was kind enough to put me through to a guy named "George", who was even nicer than the first lady. He had no problems with sending me a shipping label on Sony's dime so I can get the H-5 repaired.

The e-mail link for printing out the shipping label came today. The H5 is packed up and ready for its' journey to Texas. We will see how long this process takes...I will keep you updated. So far, I am pleased with Sony's response.

Thanks again to everyone who reported their half-press focus issues here. It was helpful to know that I am not the only person experiencing this problem.

-- hide signature --

Linda T.
H-1 and H-5

KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,729
Re: UPDATE Re: H-5 Half-press focus problems

We'll have to see who gets their back first...though I have a head start, I had to ship all the way to the other coast for service! Clearly they don't like to pay shipping for warranty repairs, but they will if you make enough noise...
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfgirl/

• Karen

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads