k10D Dust removal not so amazing...

Started Dec 30, 2006 | Discussions
iMacfan Regular Member • Posts: 143
k10D Dust removal not so amazing...

Hi all.

It's happened. Dust on the sensor of my camera. One big piece, and it shows up near the bottom of every picture. Firstly I thought that it was my new Sigma macro lens (which does annoyingly have a bit of dust on one of the elements), but it shows up with the kit lens as well.

But here's the problem - the sensor cleaner has not helped one bit, and as I have it set to work on startup, it has had a fair few chances. And what's worse is that I can't find my puffer, so it will be a while before I can clear it.

Aaargh!

David.

pic_ist Senior Member • Posts: 1,375
Re: k10D Dust removal not so amazing...

The in-camera sensor cleaning is prob. only good for general dust particles. As soon as your dealing with anything semi-sticky its time to get out the bigger guns (ex. blower).

Good luck..
--
mike
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/mrgphoto/

OP iMacfan Regular Member • Posts: 143

Yippee!

Thanks for the reply - I found the blower (a tiny and very cheap one which took twenty minutes to un-collapse), and with one puff it was gone, probably to return at some inopportune time.

You have no idea how pathetically euphoric I am having done that...

David.

Isaac Gorton Regular Member • Posts: 190

I've got mine set up to do the dust shake thing every time it turns on. No dust yet, knock on wood. Only long-term use will prove actual effectiveness.
--
My gallery: http://www.mudhiker.com

James Mess Contributing Member • Posts: 579

I've got dust on mine and no amount of blowing will budge it. I'll have to give it a wet clean when I get home in a couple of days.

Pete Dee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,759

Go and buy one of the big "Hurricane" bulbs, they are great.

Pete Dee

-- hide signature --

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

• Vince Lombardi

Pete Dee's gear list:Pete Dee's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Kent10D
Kent10D Regular Member • Posts: 306
On Startup or Only As Needed?

This brings up a question.

I haven't bothered setting my K10D so that it "shakes" every time the power is turned on. I opted not to do that simply because when I'm out for a day of shooting -- 4 or 5 hours at a stretch -- I have the camer in my hand and am constantly turning it on and off as necessary. Seemed like an awful of of shaking for the poor thing to have to do.

Anyway, after a couple of lens changes I did get dust on the sensor, but one zap with Dust Removal function was all it took to remove it. I was quitte impressed.

So question: do you have the Dust Removal function set to happen every time you power up, or only when it's needed?

-- hide signature --

~ Kent ~

Online Gallery: http://home.netyou.jp/uu/kent/

Kent10D's gear list:Kent10D's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +15 more
XavierP56 Contributing Member • Posts: 929
Re: On Startup or Only As Needed?

I took the extented warranty and would not tolerate a dust in my pictures since my $200 compact doesn't have any !

So it is always ON for me at startup. It shakes for 1 second.
If it breaks during the warranty, Pentax will fix it...

Read the interview of Pentax chief engineer about shake and knocking the sensor : he says it is safe to setup.

If it wasn't safe, you would not have the option to do it !

Enable it ! Disable it only if you need very faster power-on times.

mmayer Regular Member • Posts: 496

On mine, I have chosen not to perform the dust removal shake. In fact, I have had the camera for almost 2 months now, and I only activated the dust removal shaker once, just to make sure it "shakes". I only have one lens right now, and it since I have never removed it since the camera was purchased, I feel no need to "shake" the sensor. Maybe it's because I'm an ME, but, if you shake anything enough times, something is going to change or break...............of coarse...........also as a ME, I would have designed the camera to withstand this for the expected life of the camera.

Good points but since your zoom kit is NOT DA* (sealed), each time you move the zoom, you create some air pressure within your camera and you can bring dust into it.

I had e Digital Rebel with a sigma 18-200 lens. Never removed the lens and I got dust over time. To me, the dust came when I use the zoom.

Would be the same with the K10D + Zoom kit, no ?

Don Allison Veteran Member • Posts: 6,163

I haven't read any of the previous posts, but for the record the dust removal system on the K10D is a joke. I had a big booger on the sensor and I used the DR system several times. Nothing. I then got out the big air blower and all was corrected. However, I didn't buy the camera for DR, or I would have sent it back. Cheers. Don A.
--

'Nothing could-be-finah-than-to-be-in-Carolina-in-the-morninnnnnn...'

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,575

If the DR was 100% effective, Pentax wouldn't be making a K10 Sensor Cleaning Kit as an accessory...

I personnally shake the sensor a couple of times on lense change only in the hope to "prevent" new dust from settling and sticking too much. When always on, it adds another sec to the startup cycle long enough to miss a quick shot when in the field.

If the dust on my UV Filter is any indication, dust can be pretty sticky some times... and no reasonnable amount of shake (even supersonic) or even air blow take some of those away... I guess that's also why they invented lense cleaning paper...

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,373
Famous last words...

XavierP56 wrote:

If it wasn't safe, you would not have the option to do it !

But seriously, I doubt it will hurt the camera, but slamming the sensor against a hard stop doesn't sound quite as elegant as the Oly ultrasonic cleaner.

-- hide signature --

Verbage is not a word, but a mangling of verbiage - differing in both print and meaning. It replaces more cumbersome words such as copy and text.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

Don Allison wrote:

I haven't read any of the previous posts, but for the record the
dust removal system on the K10D is a joke. I had a big booger on
the sensor and I used the DR system several times. Nothing. I then
got out the big air blower and all was corrected. However, I didn't
buy the camera for DR, or I would have sent it back.

Those buggers at Olympus have the only working system nailed down tight in patents. Unless someone comes up with a working alternative I think your attitude is the only sensible one to have if you use anything not licensed by Olympus

-- hide signature --
 John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

Right, that's why it is always on, as a prevention.
Shaking at each startup reduces the chances of a dust to stick on the sensor.

Pentax cleaning kit seems unavailable yet, do you where I can buy one ?
In Europe, I can't find it yet.

When does Olympus patent expire ?

Nobody came with a ultrasonic devices that you could mount on the camera ? (like a lens, but wth an ultrasonic instead of the lens !!)

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

XavierP56 wrote:

When does Olympus patent expire ?

Dunno, but the first camera to use it (the E-1) has only been around for a few years so I guess you wouldn't want to hold your breath while you're waiting...

Nobody came with a ultrasonic devices that you could mount on the
camera ? (like a lens, but wth an ultrasonic instead of the lens !!)

Not sure what that would achieve... but who knows?

-- hide signature --
 John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
SFT007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874

I havent had a problem with dust yet. I never have it shake - somtimes I turn it on as a precaution if Im changing lenses outside and its windy or something. No problems thus far.

That said, I thought Canon Xti also used ultrasonic vibrations like the Oly system. But I read that the Xti's dust reduction feature is useless whereas Oly's really works well.

-- hide signature --

Sinan

SFT007's gear list:SFT007's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Kent10D
Kent10D Regular Member • Posts: 306

Hey!

Nobody came with a ultrasonic devices that you could mount on the
camera ? (like a lens, but wth an ultrasonic instead of the lens !!)

Cool idea! Quick, patent it!

I see that everone has different ideas on whether to use the sensor shaker thing all the time or not. And I guess that's the way it should be. Just for the record, I assumed there would be dust it wouldn't budge, so I did buy the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaner kit (at Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama), just in case. But I do hate poking around inside the camera with potentially dangerous implements. Ah well, goes with the territory I guess.

-- hide signature --

~ Kent ~

Online Gallery: http://home.netyou.jp/uu/kent/

Kent10D's gear list:Kent10D's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +15 more
JoMo1 Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Curious.....

Don, what big air blower do you have as I may get one......thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads