HyperProgram & Auto ISO

Started Dec 30, 2006 | Discussions
mutleybird Senior Member • Posts: 1,095
HyperProgram & Auto ISO

I get the sense from posts on other forums that all K10D cameras have the same Auto ISO bug as mine:

I have a problem when using the "Auto ISO" setting along with
HyperProgram mode. First, for example, I choose a range of 100-800 -
Secondly, I start turning the front wheel to set shutter speed. The
lens for this example is the 18-55 kit lens. By pressing the "OK"
button, it shows the "Auto ISO" is selecting "800".

If I move the shutter speed slower, when the aperture reaches its widest opening, the auto ISO decides to begin to lower the ISO setting to compensate for the slower shutter speeds. This continues as I choose slower and slower shutter speeds until finally ISO 100 is reached. (You can check along the way by pressing the OK button to see where ISO is at.

That is all fine, of course. Now is when the problem arises.

If I now decide to go the OTHER way with the front dial controlling

shutter speeds, and go back to the next faster speed, THE CAMERA WILL NOT DO THIS. The shutter speed remains the same. The Auto ISO should kick in (as it does in Tv mode), and begin to raise the ISO to allow
faster shutter speeds. The Auto ISO just stays at ISO 100, and won't
move back up.

Using the shutter speed dial in Tv mode DOES work with Auto ISO up or
down, and it is supposed to work in HyperProgram as well. Auto ISO
ONLY goes down in HyperProgram, never back up.

Its easy to test on your own K10D.

Has anyone discussed this specific occurance with a Pentax tech, and gotten any sort of respose whatsoever? (Or it it something they don't acknowledge at all to anyone.)

Please if you're one of those that says its "nothing" to ANYTHING brought up about the K10D, there's no need to post, as in practice this bug screws up any intuitiveness you are counting on.

SFT007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874
Re: HyperProgram & Auto ISO

Yes, mine acts the same, Ive noticed it for a while - its never stopped me from taking a photograph but it is the same - in P mode if I change the aperture it works fine both ways but when I change the shutter it goes down and never goes back up. I wonder if this was done on purpose for some reason or is it actually a glitch?

-- hide signature --

Sinan

SFT007's gear list:SFT007's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
lak Contributing Member • Posts: 998

I can confirm the bug. I have to press the green button or turn the aperture dial to set it back on track.

mutleybird wrote:

(Or it it something they
don't acknowledge at all to anyone.)
Please if you're one of those that says its "nothing" to ANYTHING
brought up about the K10D, there's no need to post, a

Hey, is this necessary? This is the first time I see this bug being posted. I do not get any impression that people would say "nothing to anything" for a real bug.

OP mutleybird Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Hi Sirnan,

There's no way it would have been done on purpose, because in Tv mode (which you are effectively in by turning the shutter speed dial in HyperProgram) Auto ISO works as expected.

Pentax wouldn't do something that would screw up predictability the photographer is counting on.

I'm glad you responded to this because I truly expected this post to sink down with no responses at all.

This seems to be one of those things that Pentax has decided to ignore completely, yet easily fixed in the upcoming firmware update.

Larry

SFT007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874

Yes you are right actually - it does work in Tv mode so it must be a glitch and indeed it works fine when I mess with aperture but not with the shutter. This is why I thought maybe there was a reason or something which I cant figure out, but I do think its just a bug actually. Hopefully Pentax know about it to fix it

mutleybird wrote:

Hi Sirnan,

There's no way it would have been done on purpose, because in Tv
mode (which you are effectively in by turning the shutter speed
dial in HyperProgram) Auto ISO works as expected.

Pentax wouldn't do something that would screw up predictability the
photographer is counting on.

I'm glad you responded to this because I truly expected this post
to sink down with no responses at all.

This seems to be one of those things that Pentax has decided to
ignore completely, yet easily fixed in the upcoming firmware update.

Larry

-- hide signature --

Sinan

SFT007's gear list:SFT007's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more

I can confirm the bug. I have to press the green button or turn the
aperture dial to set it back on track.

I do not get any impression that people would say "nothing to anything" for a real bug.

I'm glad you can confirm this.

My other comment obviously wasn't directed at you. I've posted this two other times, and got no response at all. Also, I frustratingly sent the same info to Pentax Imaging here in the USA, also to Pentax cutomer service over in the UK, and emailed it to Ned Bunnell and got NO response from anyone. I know a firmware update is being developed. I wanted to at least be sure this was being included. It wouldn't be acceptable for it to just be fixed in the NEXT model.

Larry

Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812
Yes, can confirm that

Reported this week ago but it just dissapeared in that Phil test and soft jpeg madness.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21338309

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
yursturly Regular Member • Posts: 230
RE: Green Button

The fault is exactly as you describe on mine, too. I have a 222 series.

lak is also correct about the green button, but it appears to introduce another fault, too. This is difficult to describe, for me:

When turning the front shutter dial in the "other direction" (which shows the ISO locked at the 100 setting), pressing the green button defaults the ISO to the HIGHEST ALLOWED SETTING - 800, in your post.

HOWEVER, turning the shutter 1 click more adjusts the ISO to the "correct" setting for the shot, and it appears the ISO is re-adjusted properly each time shutter dial is further turned, without pressing the green button again.

So, it seems there are two problems. First the failure of ISO to adjust with turning the shutter dial "back" (to faster speeds), and second with the green button jumping to the highest allowed ISO when pushed under these circumstances.
Did I get that correctly?
--
You cannot fake sincerity

There's got to be a way to get Pentax to admit this. (nt)

I just don't know how.

yursturly Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: There's got to be a way to get Pentax to admit this. (nt)

I know I'm dumn, but probably naive, too. At any rate, I bet sending an email to customer service would eventually get to the engineers -
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/contact_customer_service

I need to work with this a little more. I want to actually shoot some shots with the hypermode in a "flawed" setting. I have a feeling that when the shutter is depressed, it will reset the ISO as the shot is taken. I may play with that some later today.

Thanks for bring this to the attention of forum members. I, for one, am glad to know this and will make the appropriate adjustments!
--
You cannot fake sincerity

networker Regular Member • Posts: 182
Yes - the same with *istD

The K10D AUTO-ISO Hyp-P acts like the 3 year old *istD which has this "problem". Seems Pentax fixed only the no AUTO-ISO with EV bug.

networker

networker's gear list:networker's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II +23 more
m3
m3 Contributing Member • Posts: 945
Customer Care Contact - laugh

Click on the link provided:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/contact_customer_service
And scroll down to:
"Important note for our international customers"
Then read:
"If you live in a country not included in the Country box below..."
Guess what, we're all included, the "country box" (sic) is empty!

Happy New Year.
--
m.
http://www.pbase.com/m3photo

m3's gear list:m3's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
bladerunneruk Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

mutleybird wrote:

If I move the shutter speed slower, when the aperture reaches its
widest opening, the auto ISO decides to begin to lower the ISO
setting to compensate for the slower shutter speeds. This continues
as I choose slower and slower shutter speeds until finally ISO 100
is reached. (You can check along the way by pressing the OK button
to see where ISO is at.

That is all fine, of course. Now is when the problem arises.

If I now decide to go the OTHER way with the front dial controlling
shutter speeds, and go back to the next faster speed, THE CAMERA
WILL NOT DO THIS. The shutter speed remains the same. The Auto ISO
should kick in (as it does in Tv mode), and begin to raise the ISO

to allow faster shutter speeds. The Auto ISO just stays at ISO 100, and won't move back up.

I see some thing like this happening too, however with some qualifications.
Testing in a room lit only by a desk anglepoise light with tungsten bulb :-

1) at some pt in the process looking at the top LCD the arrow besides the shutter speed is blinking. not sure of the relevance.

2) Secondly if you move the direction the lens is pointing in to a differently lit area the aperture can reduce e.g. f4 to f8 and sometimes the ISO can increase.

Also it seems to me that when this happens you are close to or have reached the limits of the metering since sometimes f4 on the LCD starts blinking.
not a fully scientific test I know, but a bit more data.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads