Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions
Dave Lewis Forum Pro • Posts: 10,425
Re: Pentax forum will have a stroke!

"spelled" in the USA.
--
Dave Lewis

cd cooker Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Re: Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

I am here all the time, wandering different forums, and chime in from time to time.

You include battery life in most of the DSLR reviews. I am just wondering why you don't include one in here.

Phil Askey wrote:
Where have you been for the last two years?

cd cooker wrote:

Why no battery life in this review?

cd cooker's gear list:cd cooker's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a5100 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
rmarquez Regular Member • Posts: 413
This is what we are saying in the Pentax forum...

The whole image softness issue that Phil has raised is indeed by design, and is not a problem at all. The manual in the K10D explains:

Natural Image Tone - "Images are finished naturally and suitable for retouching".

Bright Image Tone - "Images are finished brightly, with high contrast and sharpness".

The K10D, being targeted to more advanced users, defaults to Natural. Phil tried adjusting the sharpness in the "Natural" setting, but it would not give him the desired results. However, it turns out that changing the setting to "Bright" does give results that he likes. At least that is what he said in the review of the K100 which defaults to "Bright" and gives just about the same exact results. See this post for the see that, and press the back button when you are satisfied.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21334660

It is clear then that Pentax chose to use the Natural image tone so that users can adjust it in their computers to their hearts content, applying whatever level of sharpness they enjoy. So, what you get out of the camera in the default mode is not meant to make you go Wow when you look at it zoomed 100% in a monitor. Other camera makers chose to apply more sharpening to their pictures out of the camera. But again, if you like sharp pictures out of the camera, with no tweaking on your part needed, simply set it to Bright and adjust the contrast and stauration accordingly.

Why Phil insists on ignoring what the manual states regarding the intent of this setting (to say nothing of the SR issue) is beyond me. Personally, I think he was a little rushed to get this review out the door (or he simply has a different Philosophy than Pentax and its community).

Oh, and you probably will be interested in the K10D vs D200 RAW comparison:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21286534

I hope Phil did this on purpose just to have a laugh at them (they
really have been mean and rude to Phil).

ChemDoc

ChemDoc, now who is the mean one exactly?

NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Nikon like to screw Europe too...

Darran wrote:

Well, the camera looks nice. I'll be recommending it to a friend
who wants to get into DSLR photography. However... Nikon seem to
have learnt something from Canon (Or maybe Canon learnt it long ago
from Nikon)...

I see the list prices quoted are 599 USD and 699 EUR and 499 GBP.

Converting the EUR price to USD at present day conversion rates
gives a USD price of 921 USD.

Converting the GBP price to USD at present day conversion rates
gives a USD price of 980 USD.

UK = 980 USD.
EU = 921 USD.
US = 599 USD.

So unless there is a MENTAL sales tax in US states well in excess
of 50%, Nikon have joined Canon in the Great Rip Off Game.

Thanks guys.
--
Darran

Perhapse those prices are higher due to much higher import taxes that are added to the price before it hits the shelves. You dont see on your reciept such as you would with a sales Tax.

http://nickmjr.smugmug.com/
Nick M

drwho9437 Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
If I were a Pentax person it would be the K100D I'd be talking about

Not complaining about the K10D. Only in that the mention of "bargain" in the D40, while the K100D is just the camera the pentax should have made years ago. They both look like really nice cameras for the entry level.

Its a fine review. Nikon's choices are interesting here. I'm all in favor of anything that erodes Canon (my camera company to date AE-1P, A-1, 300D, 400D) market share. Good competition makes for better cameras for me. I hope the they fix the grip next time so that I don't have to trade in all my lenses and switch.

For now, that all the review chips have fallen, I think I'm ok with my selection. Though I wish I knew if it was SR in body that is marginally effective on the Pentax/Sony or if it is IS in general. I respect phill's tests but I wonder how different lens IS is to body IS. I've only had IS in my Panasonic to date and there it seems more helpful than the SR reviews would indicate.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
Re: If I were a Pentax person it would be the K100D I'd be talking about

Pentax itself, will tell you that the SR on the K10D is superior to the SR on the K100D. Phil didn't exactly rave about the SR on the K100D. From the dpreview K100D test;
"Utilizing the K100D's Shake Reduction did improve things, but only slightly."

Carnildo Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Tongue firmly in cheek

ChemDoc wrote:

Some members of the Pentax forum are complaining that the K10D got
a "highly recommended (just)" rating, with a cummulative score of

Now with the D40 getting a "highly reccomended" with a cummulative
score of 51, no "just", there will be some upset people. Guaranteed.

Oh, we all know that Phil is in the pockets of Canon and Nikon. After all, there's no way an impartial reviewer would have given the EOS 1Ds-MkII a "Highly recommended" while at the same time giving the K10D a mere "Highly recommended (just)".

rmarquez Regular Member • Posts: 413
Re: If I were a Pentax person it would be the K100D I'd be talking about

jimr wrote:

Pentax itself, will tell you that the SR on the K10D is superior to
the SR on the K100D. Phil didn't exactly rave about the SR on the
K100D. From the dpreview K100D test;
"Utilizing the K100D's Shake Reduction did improve things, but only
slightly."

Would you complain to Nikon because its software does not run well under Linux? Well, maybe you could. But, the point is, would it be reasonable to expect Nikon's software to run under Linux when it clearly says in the manual (I assume) that the software is meant to run in a different OS?

Well, Pentax manual says:

"The Shake Reduction function may not fully reduce camera shake when
taking close-up shots. In this case, it is recommended that the Shake
Reduction function be turned off and the camera be used with a tripod."

Of course, Phil has the right to test Pentax Shake Reduction system under any parametters he wants. But, do you think it is reasonable for him to expect good results from it when tested outside its intended range?

Bambang W New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Why there is no RAW comparisons?

pls read the review again, before Phil flame you

jeff-c Senior Member • Posts: 2,096
Re: Yes and No

ArtFedorov wrote:

jeff-c wrote:

Yes there is a lag time between turning the command dial and the
display of change in the graphic** mode.

In the classic** mode the display shows the changes immediately.

It's strange that Phil hasn't mentioned it since the lag happens in
"default" mode and Phil tends to review features in the
"right-out-of-the-box" state.

I need to check the user manual but I recall "default" mode is the "graphic" mode as I didn't like it and changed to the classic mode.

jeff-c's gear list:jeff-c's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-P1 +26 more
bibi0012 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,155
Ok, I got it..

Thanks for pointing it out.

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
roogie New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

I went to my local shop and had a hard time deciding between the D40 and the D50, for my uses the D40 is going to be my new camera. Thanks for the review.

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,313
If Larry can love D40, then.....

larrytusaz wrote:

I'm Actually Impressed, Kind Of NEW. I still have a hard time with the lack of hot buttons for The 3 Kings + Drive Mode (as I like to call it) but I am impressed with regards to these things:.....

I never thought I'll hear Larry embracing a D40. If Larry can love a D40, then Jews and Palastian can get along, oil and water can mixed, maybe world peace isn't just a fantasy.
--
FANBOY(i)sm is a NEUROSIS, Get Help!

DigitalPowerShot Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
"who needs 8MP?"

"who needs 8MP?" :-))))) Very objective!

...and the ISO comparison: no word about the superior 350D (wich is discontinued) !!

Phil's reviews are not that objective and honest as they used to be.
Simon is more objective in this respect.

Where is the sentence...?: "the camera is not bad at all, but the competition had a very good 6MP (entry level) camera years ago. Now entry level cameras have 10MP!!!)

DigitalPowerShot's gear list:DigitalPowerShot's gear list
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica M9-P
Phil Askey
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,822
Re: "who needs 8MP?"

I see you've swallowed the megapixel pill whole.

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

...and the ISO comparison: no word about the superior 350D (wich is
discontinued) !!

Where is the sentence...?: "the camera is not bad at all, but the
competition had a very good 6MP (entry level) camera years ago. Now
entry level cameras have 10MP!!!)

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Editor / Owner, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica M10 +11 more
jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
Enjoy Your Canon Forum!

Exactly the reaction I'd expect from a Canon owner.

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

...and the ISO comparison: no word about the superior 350D (wich is
discontinued) !!

Where is the sentence...?: "the camera is not bad at all, but the
competition had a very good 6MP (entry level) camera years ago. Now
entry level cameras have 10MP!!!)

Dave Oddie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138

Phil Askey wrote:

I see you've swallowed the megapixel pill whole.

Maybe he has but I think you should have made a bigger fuss about the lens incompatibility issue to the extent of knocking it down to recommended in its final rating.

You have mentioned more than once Canon tend to deliberately miss out features and I think that even applied to the latest A6xx review posted as well as to the original 300D d-slr review.

Well Nikon are now doing exactly the same thing with their d-slrs.

The D200 is the only camera that is within the realms of the reasonably affordable (though still too expensive for me) that offers full backward lens compatability.

The D80 while it will focus older AF lenses it won't meter with other older lenses so saying as the review does that Nikon suggest (I think) go to the D80 for better compatibility is not strictly true.

The D40 won't focus or meter many older lenses.

There is a clear hierarchy here just as there is with Canon not implementing certain features they could easily do in their entry level d-slr.

I think this is a significant development (if that is the right word) and who is to say if Nikon thinks they can get away with it they won't drop backward AF compatibility with the next generation D80 level camera?

One of the things Nikon play on is that their lens mount is backwards compatible with old lenses but with the D40 they have thrown that out of the window and the possible implications of this are not to be dismissed lightly IMO.

One of the reasons I didn't buy a D80 is the fact I could not get a Tamron adaptall-2 mount off e-bay for my mirror lens and have it meter when attached to the camera and I think the D40 casts a big doubt over Nikon's future commitment to backwards lens compatibility to the extent it is no longer a reason to buy into the system.

Dave

Dave Oddie's gear list:Dave Oddie's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +5 more
DigitalPowerShot Senior Member • Posts: 1,259

Well, you get it when you get it (right?)

DigitalPowerShot's gear list:DigitalPowerShot's gear list
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica M9-P
Wile E Regular Member • Posts: 458
A little bit surprised about the highly recommended...

I was under the impression that this is a camera that cannot autofocus with 75% of Nikon's own lenses and 99,9% of third party lenses. That means you have a cheap camera that only takes a few and expensive lenses (at the currens AF-S line-up). I am not saying anything about the further quality of the cam but the above alone should disqualify it for a highly recommended IMHO.

RW

Erik37 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558

or, about the 400D, "the camera is not bad at all, but the
competition has had useable hand grips and spot metering for many years."

MP's is just one property of many.

Just my two oere
Erik from Sweden

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads