Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions
Leonel Eleutrio Regular Member • Posts: 252
Nikon D40 Review is up !!!
canterel Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

disappointed that it doesn't include more particulars on the lens. i'm really interested to know how it differs from the 18-55 lens kitted with the D50. but even nikonusa.com doesn't have it listed yet.

ChemDoc Regular Member • Posts: 177
Pentax forum will have a stroke!

Some members of the Pentax forum are complaining that the K10D got a "highly recommended (just)" rating, with a cummulative score of 52.

Now with the D40 getting a "highly reccomended" with a cummulative score of 51, no "just", there will be some upset people. Guaranteed.

I'm just having some fun. I know that ratings are subjective, and that cummulative scores don't tell the whole story, etc. etc. Just try to say that over in Pentax land.

I hope Phil did this on purpose just to have a laugh at them (they really have been mean and rude to Phil).

ChemDoc

Leto78 Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Pentax forum will have a stroke!

It is going to be a looong discussion.

Phil Askey
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,822

If people think the rating is that "simple" then they're missing the point. If the total score were relevant we'd put it at the bottom of that table.

ChemDoc wrote:

Some members of the Pentax forum are complaining that the K10D got
a "highly recommended (just)" rating, with a cummulative score of

Now with the D40 getting a "highly reccomended" with a cummulative
score of 51, no "just", there will be some upset people. Guaranteed.

I'm just having some fun. I know that ratings are subjective, and
that cummulative scores don't tell the whole story, etc. etc. Just
try to say that over in Pentax land.

I hope Phil did this on purpose just to have a laugh at them (they
really have been mean and rude to Phil).

ChemDoc

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Editor / Owner, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica M10 +11 more
ChemDoc Regular Member • Posts: 177
Agree 100%

But the fur will still fly "over there."

Thanks for your, and your staff's, hard (and often thankless) work.

Happy Holidays,
ChemDoc

PsiBurn Regular Member • Posts: 182

Good review of the D40. I noticed some typos though:

Page 20: the Compared To... start paragraph is the exact same as the Pentax K100D

Page 22: Image at the last paragraph is spelled wrong.

Have a Happy Holidays!
--

Sony P72 (great starter camera), Sony P150 (love the camera, hate the dust), Panasonic FZ-3 (no wonder megazooms are so popular), Canon 30D (ditto for dSLR's)

PsiBurn Regular Member • Posts: 182

You guys must be overwhelmed I imagine. I can't thank you guys enough for the work you guys do. You guys seriously are at the top in your field!
--

Sony P72 (great starter camera), Sony P150 (love the camera, hate the dust), Panasonic FZ-3 (no wonder megazooms are so popular), Canon 30D (ditto for dSLR's)

duchess mcmann Forum Member • Posts: 98

With such a positive story and recommendation, these 40's will fly off the shelves. Hope Nikon has started another production run.

Nice job, phil

Did you mention it comes in two colors?

Blessed Christmas to all

.........O

paulskimcb Contributing Member • Posts: 921

And, to be fair, the D40 gets an 8.5 in image quality, the K10D a 7.5. Personally, I can think of no more significant category than image quality; it was certainly front and center when I decided on my D80.
--
-pjm

I never gave a damn about the meter man until I was the man who had to read the meters.

Tuukka Contributing Member • Posts: 943
Phew! That was quick....

..could be a record for both Nikon and DPReview, since it's been really short period of time since the announcement and the review is up AND the product is allready on the shelves. They made the Christmas sale after all! and to believe that there was some sceptisism that they could pull that of with D80 even...

-T

-- hide signature --

tknterry Senior Member • Posts: 1,711

Hey you Nikon guys and gals:

You really dont have to go out of your way and rip the Pentax SLR forum like this. After all, we are doing a fine job of ripping our forum apart ourselves! OK, just a touch of dark humor there. Im not one of those whining over the K10D results although I have yet to see any compromise in image quality in real world images produced from the K10D. However I and most of the more mature Pentax members did find all the maniacal (and mean) quibbling over Phils K10D review very disheartening. Congrats on another fine camera in the D40
--
---Terry http://photostuff.org

ChemDoc wrote:

Some members of the Pentax forum are complaining that the K10D got
a "highly recommended (just)" rating, with a cummulative score of

Now with the D40 getting a "highly reccomended" with a cummulative
score of 51, no "just", there will be some upset people. Guaranteed.

I'm just having some fun. I know that ratings are subjective, and
that cummulative scores don't tell the whole story, etc. etc. Just
try to say that over in Pentax land.

I hope Phil did this on purpose just to have a laugh at them (they
really have been mean and rude to Phil).

ChemDoc

jbancroft1957 Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Missing image from "Color reproduction" section

Hi Phil

Just a note to let you know the GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart seems to be missing from page 19.

Thanks for a great site.

John

Mike Weber Contributing Member • Posts: 778

I find the D40 vs. D50 comparison results interesting. The set up is the same, ISO, lens, aperture... but the D40 image results are sharper than the D50. I wonder if AF or MF was used.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Cephalotus Veteran Member • Posts: 3,791

So we got about 10 pages of pixel peeping with a 50mm lens, that does not even support the cameras AF system?

I do not critisize the test method (using the same lens than with the other cameras does make sense, of course), but I ask myself how relevant a judgement on image quality could be, that is mainly based on a camera and lens combination almost noone will use with that camera.

dpreview was always mainly about analysis in test labor, but this has been a step further, imho.

I also wonder why the E-400 is missed in that camera size/weight comparison tables? Surely, it is not available everywhere, but wouldn't it be a small but very important information for those, who are looking for a small DSLR?

Cephalotus's gear list:Cephalotus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 II Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1
Cephalotus Veteran Member • Posts: 3,791

paulskimcb wrote:

And, to be fair, the D40 gets an 8.5 in image quality, the K10D a
7.5. Personally, I can think of no more significant category than
image quality; it was certainly front and center when I decided on
my D80.

You bought your DSLR based on a number on this site?

Amazing.

But it clearly seems that numbers and ratings are important to people when making a decission.

Cephalotus's gear list:Cephalotus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 II Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,885

tknterry wrote:

Hey you Nikon guys and gals:
You really dont have to go out of your way and rip the Pentax SLR
forum like this. After all, we are doing a fine job of ripping our
forum apart ourselves! OK, just a touch of dark humor there. Im
not one of those whining over the K10D results although I have yet
to see any compromise in image quality in real world images
produced from the K10D. However I and most of the more mature
Pentax members did find all the maniacal (and mean) quibbling over
Phils K10D review very disheartening. Congrats on another fine
camera in the D40
--
---Terry http://photostuff.org

To me, the K10D looks like a fine camera. It' a shame there are some members of your forum (like in other forums) that seem intent on disrupting with negativity and nastiness towards Pentax and/or Phil.

I had some Pentax gear back in the dark ages, but for various reasons I chose the D70 when I switched to a DSLR. If I were making that decision today, I would have to take a good long look at the K10D vs D80.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

desmondism Regular Member • Posts: 188
got to handle D40; a few questions

Thanks for the (usual) thorough review, Phil.

I got to handle a D40 in a store yesterday, and I noticed that the LCD display lags a little bit when I make adjustments to the shutter speed (in S mode), or the aperture (in A mode), or either (in P mode). I was waiting eagerly for this review to find out if you noticed the same thing. I don't know if the battery status had anything to do with it (the battery at the shop was about half empty). The lag was not huge (almost a second), but noticeable. I thought at the time this was disappointing, having had my D70s for over a year now, and my girlfriend with her D50. Has anyone here with a D40 (or handled one) noticed this?

Another thing: When I removed the battery from the compartment and looked in the battery chamber, I noticed several contacts close to the battery contacts. There were no matching pins on the battery, so I'm speculating this should be for something else. While it may or may not be surprising to some people, I'm thinking Nikon might be planning to release a battery grip for the D40. Of course, I could be wrong. My D70s has no such contacts, neither does the D50. I haven't had the chance to check out the battery compartment of the D80 or D200 (both of which have optional battery grips). Could someone with a D40 on hand check this out and let us know what they think?

The shop manager (I'm based in Chiangmai, Thailand) said that since D40 stocks arrived, people have been asking for and buying the D50 (!) I'm actually feeling compelled to convince my girlfriend to possibly trade in her D50 for the D40, hopefully to get some money back as well (her camera's only a couple on months old). Do you guys think this is reasonable? The D50 has been her first SLR. The only other camera (digital or otherwise) she spent any considerable amount of time with was a Pentax Optio a couple of years back.

Thanks for your input.
Adrian

Beanboy Regular Member • Posts: 347
D50 information incorrect/min shutter for auto ISO

D50 isn't just on/off for auto ISO, you can set min shutter when it kicks in.

Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659

canterel wrote:

disappointed that it doesn't include more particulars on the lens.
i'm really interested to know how it differs from the 18-55 lens
kitted with the D50.

The wave motor was changed. In theory, slightly faster to focus points.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Nikon Field Guide & Nikon Flash Guide
editor, Nikon DSLR Report
author, Complete Guides: D50, D70, D100, D200, D1 series, D2h, D2x, S2 Pro
http://www.bythom.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads