The Friedman Archives

Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
wk4alvn Forum Member • Posts: 99
The Friedman Archives

I just paid and downloaded the ebook for the a100. I think this it the best $20 I have ever spent. I have read 100 pages in the last hour and learned more than in the last 3 weeks of playing.

If you are new to DSLR's this is a must have.

csheldon Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Re: The Friedman Archives

no arguments from me. I love this book! Wish I could afford the full color paper version.

-- hide signature --
wk4alvn OP Forum Member • Posts: 99

Come on you have a color screen don't you. lol

omaha Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

31.25 + free shipping @ amazon.com. is it really worth it?

omaha

omaha's gear list:omaha's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
midwestshutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
Yes

Gary does a terrific job making everything understandable to everyone. Regardless of experience or technical proficiency.

Gary, along with Dave K , are probably two of the most knowledgeable individuals, regarding KM and now Sony photo division, of any I have heard, met or read.

To be honest, I think they have a slight personal bias for Minolta products, but no more so than anyone else would, for anything that they have learned so well.

One can spend far more, to learn far less, than one can with anything from either of these two gentlemen.

Just what those two have already shared\published, in online forums, that is available for all to read, totally free of cost, is enough to justify purchasing a book or three.

Google their names
Google their forum nics
and read read read

See for yourself just how much these two actually know . . . and willingly share. . . for absolutely nothing.

If they have finally put together something, for which they feel is worth charging a fee, then I, for one, would tend to think it probably is too.

-- hide signature --

Dave Patterson
---------------------
Midwestshutterbug.com
----------------------------------
'When the light and composition are strong, nobody
notices things like resolution or pincushion distortion'
Gary Friedman

AllanMarcus Contributing Member • Posts: 645

Depends if you like having a printed copy. For me, the e-book version was good enough.

Either way, the book is the best money you will spend on photography, especially if you are starting out.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Allan Marcus
Sony Alpha A-100
Olympus C-750
Mac OS X

David Kilpatrick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,436
Re: Yes

Gary's book is not connected with my publications although we have promoted it and I advised Gary on aspects when he was working out how to do this - but only publishing aspects. Some of the material has also been used in Image/Photoworld, our UK magazine, and I have indeed commissioned Gary (back in 2002) to fly to Germany and cover photokina for me. May seem odd to commission someone from California to cover a Euro show when we are just over the way in Britain, but there are very few photo writers like Gary. I know a lot of them

Best thing is that Gary does not feel compelled to write book authorspeak or technical writerspeak - he writes just exactly as if he was getting this stuff over verbally to you. If you know it all already, his style is not condescending, it's amusing; if you don't know it, then he gets it over much better than most others do in double the wordcount.

David

Anesh Pather Contributing Member • Posts: 804
GMGGGF Junior Member • Posts: 28

I just bought the A100 and this eBook for my wife for Christmas. I think it will be a surprise. She has been complaining that all her friends had the Nikon D50/70/80 or the Canon XTi. I told her the Sony A100 was nice camera, after of course already buying it, and I could not believe the dirty look I got. I think the comment was along the lines of "if it is that good, then why do none of my friends have it". Uugh, like that is the all important factor. I felt like we were back in grade school and everyone had to have a ‘Members Only’ jacket just to be cool and be damned the functional and practical.

Well, and sorry for the digression, I am planning on arming myself with the article from PopPhoto.com about the A100 being the Editor's pick for Camera of the Year AND this eBook.

I just downloaded it today and in the first chapter learned some great things. She never took the time to learn the F717 we currently have completely so I hope this eBook will give her that little push.

Anyway I hope she is happy with the camera and the eBook. If not then I just acquired a mighty fine camera and a great book.

-G

wk4alvn OP Forum Member • Posts: 99

Its a great book. I do not have time or enjoy just sitting down and reading a book. Last night I read 155 pages of it. I could not stop. It was like oh that is how that works, What will I learn next? Great Job

Eskasi Regular Member • Posts: 242

It is the best guide out there for A100 owners hands down.....Sony should PAY him and bundle this book with their cameras....well worth EVERY penny.

This book gave me the springboard I needed to jump into DSLR use.

For the man whose wife compares the camera to what her friends use, I suggest also asking her to view this forum......besides... just using this DSLR for the first time will make her surprised.....even basic point and shoot photos look so much better than tiny P & S cameras. She should also be warned about comparing cameras with Nikon or Canon users....we all seem to have a cult following to the brands that we own.....

Let her try it out...then go try shooting with the others without a Image Stabilized lens in mid/low light....she will quickly learn that her new toy is better....at least for those new to DSLR .....

LeonBrazil Forum Member • Posts: 70

wk4alvn wrote:

Its a great book. I do not have time or enjoy just sitting down and
reading a book. Last night I read 155 pages of it. I could not
stop. It was like oh that is how that works, What will I learn
next? Great Job

LOL, I did exactly the same once I got this book. I was up until 2am reading, every page turn revealed more interesting info specifically about this cameras behaviour and functionality. It is really good. Some great tips on the default setups for metering and button setups. It is a real insight into the areas of power consumption and getting most out of your batteries.

Now on Page 256, looking forward to getting home again this evening to finish this book off!!

Well worth the 20 bucks!

midwestshutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
Apologies

I did not inted to imply that Gary Friedman and David Kilpatrick were co-workers, or associated in any joint ventures, whatsoever.

My Intent was simply to state that of all Minoltans I have read, these two share freely, more than most, and that which they share, tends to be more valuable.

-- hide signature --

Dave Patterson
---------------------
Midwestshutterbug.com
----------------------------------
'When the light and composition are strong, nobody
notices things like resolution or pincushion distortion'
Gary Friedman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads