F30/F31fd: High ISO Comparison

Started Dec 15, 2006 | Discussions
HotWired Contributing Member • Posts: 622
F30/F31fd: High ISO Comparison

Thanks to Pacman99 for posting some F31fd pics (I hope you don't mind).

I tried to match the lighting condition for the F30. I know it is not a perfect match comparison but it is the best I can do for the moment.

Here is the resized F31fd original:

Here is the matched resized F30:

Here is F31fd at 1x1:

Here is F30 at 1x1:

What prompted me to do this is right of the bat is when I saw that F31fd ISO 3200 shot, I saw those blotches of purple/green/red low light noise that I typically see with other cams. I don't think I've seen this with the F30 even at the worst case sceneario. It could also be just a bad lighting/angle. Could it be that this is the case since the F31fd uses the same processing as s6000fd?

Like I said, this may not be an ideal comparison so anyone who has the F31fd please post some high ISO shots so that we can compare.

Mike920 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,529
Re: F30/F31fd: High ISO Comparison

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwww!

From these last two pics, seems the F30 has far better resolution. WTF done do Fuji?

Mike

OP HotWired Contributing Member • Posts: 622

ooops! I forgot to mention that both are shot at ISO 3200 FYI.

pacman99 New Member • Posts: 10

I'm going to be playing around w/ the camera more tomorrow. I'll try and post some pics. Any specific settings I should use to make the high ISO shots? Any type of specific background/lighting condition?

Johnny in L.A. Contributing Member • Posts: 658

I sure hope something is wrong with this comparison.

Johnny in L.A.'s gear list:Johnny in L.A.'s gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256

I'm not saying the processing doesn't look different. But I get blue blotches on my F30 like that if the room has orange enough lighting to make the auto WB go very blue. I also think the F31 shot appears to have some camera shake in it which is why the details look more blurred.

If you want to compare noise, you really have to use the same lighting and same subject and force the cameras manually to the same white balance.

Bart
--
http://www.pbase.com/zumbari

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +10 more

Hey pacman, you're not a boxer, are you?

Yeah if you could take some more high ISO shots (1600 and 3200) and post it. Do some in a brightly lit area and some on dark too. It would be nice if someone can really compare them side by side.

Here is another shot from F30 in an extremely dark room with the tv as the only light source (tv is on the left side):

And here's one in almost complete darkness (no input blue screen of death type of light):

Both shots are handheld, AF assist light on.

pacman99 wrote:

I'm going to be playing around w/ the camera more tomorrow. I'll
try and post some pics. Any specific settings I should use to make
the high ISO shots? Any type of specific background/lighting
condition?

That's a very good point Bart. Like I said it could very well be a lighting issue. It would be nice if dpreview or dcresource would test this camera out so we can see a more accurate comparison.

@pacman - what kind of light where you using and where was it oriented?

Bart Hickman wrote:

I'm not saying the processing doesn't look different. But I get
blue blotches on my F30 like that if the room has orange enough
lighting to make the auto WB go very blue. I also think the F31
shot appears to have some camera shake in it which is why the
details look more blurred.

If you want to compare noise, you really have to use the same
lighting and same subject and force the cameras manually to the
same white balance.

Bart
--
http://www.pbase.com/zumbari

dimly lit incandescent. It was really dark outside (an hour or so after sunset). It was probably the lighting. I'm going to try and get some better shots today under better lighting conditions.

More F31fd High ISO Shots (36 pics, dialup beware)

Now I couldn't find a human subject at the time I was shooting these pics so I had to use some stuffed animals lying around I don't have the f30 so I can't compare but I tried to get as many lighting situations I could at this time (afternoon), indoor and outdoor.
All shots EV-1/3, Manual Mode, Auto flash etc, auto whitebalance

Indoor:

ISO-3200

ISO-1600

ISO-800

ISO-400

ISO-3200 (flash went off for some reason)

ISO-1600 (flash went off again)

ISO-800 (flash)

ISO-400 (flash)

ISO-3200

ISO-1600

ISO-800

ISO-400 (i think flash went off, don't remember)

ISO-3200

ISO-1600

ISO-800

ISO-400

Outdoor: Keep in mind it was windy outside and I was freezing so there might be some camera shake & the subjects may have been moving a bit too due to wind.

ISO-3200:

ISO-1600:

ISO-800:

ISO-400:

ISO-3200:

ISO-1600:

ISO-800:

ISO-400:

Some misc shots of my backyard without the bunnies
ISO-3200:

ISO-1600:

ISO-800:

ISO-400:

Pics of trees, u can see some purple fringing but I expected worse:
ISO-3200:

ISO-1600:

ISO-800:

ISO-400:

Grass:
ISO-3200:

ISO-1600:

ISO-800:

ISO-400:

That's about it. You can get the original sized pics at:
http://www.admochempack.com/f31/highiso/original/

Re: More F31fd High ISO Shots (36 pics, dialup beware)

Thanks for posting these, pacman99! The 3200 ISO actually looks quite good!

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more

Although I guess a 100% crop would be the best way to analyze it. Do you think you could post some 100% crop sections of a couple of the ISO 3200 photos?

Thanks pacman, I'll take a look at it. I would like to add that there is nothing wrong with the F31fd 1x1 image, I am just comparing the two to see if there has been any changes made by Fuji, mainly the processing side.

It could be the lighting or whatever but those purple blotches I speak of are normal in low light noise and in fact typical of all DCs. The F series for some reason have what I call the 'Fuji effect' where instead of the typical purple blotches what we get is the watercolor smearing effect instead. Is the watercolor smearing better than purple blotches? Well that is open for debate.

If we do find some processing difference, it doesn't mean that it is better or worst. It all depends on how well it prints in comparison and how well it handles post processing. Looking at the samples (yours and others) it looks like the F31fd takes as great photos as the F30.

Perhaps some will join us in looking at these samples closer. I'm still very interested on the full blown advantage that FD makes as I think it would be ideal for my use. It would be nice to see an actual review by dpreview or dcresource, but till then, here we are.

Sure. Not sure what areas to focus on since I'm new to digital photography but here goes. You guys can still check out the originals (full sized) at http://www.admochempack.com/f31/highiso/original/
These are all taken from ISO-3200 pics:

Hal Fisher Senior Member • Posts: 2,005
Please post crops of outdoor bush leaf with differrent iso

The outdoor shots should be good for cropping and posting how well their leafs look with each iso. I find they are easy to see when they go from good to flat. About a good 2' area should do. Thanks.

I am wondering if I should trade the f30 for a f31 just to get auto 800 because I don't use 1600 or 3200 anyway.

Hal

I was quite disappointed with fd since it only works in full auto mode and doesn't always detect faces. It might just be because I was trying to take pictures in the dark yesterday but my sister's face was detected maybe once in 10 shots. Indoor situations are better though.

I think i'll need to post process some of these pics, such as the ones w/ purple fringing, but other than that, i'm pretty impressed.

I hate the flash on this too. It's too bright...unless there's a setting I don't know of that lets me tone it down a bit

I would take a bright flash anytime. In fact I am really amazed with iFlash. I have/had other P&S and this is were they lack IMO. Either the flash is too weak resulting in dark faces or when too close it blows up really badly giving unnatural look. With Fujis, the outcome is almost always perfect.

Looking at you samples it looks like it is about the same as the F30 (nice crisp shots BTW). However, it seems with the first one (ISO 3200) I detect a bit of difference like it is less watercolory but more blotches. But it is very subtle and it could be suggestive.

Those samples against the window where the flash fired came out really good. No PF and hardly any glare. I wonder why the flash fired by itself? FD on perhaps? Or it could have been on AUTO.

One test about FD if you dont mind. In a well lit place like outdoors, can you point and shoot (literally) like just point and click without composing yourself (heck, don't even look at the LCD lol) and see how they come out. Of course you need some faces or two lol.

pacman99 wrote:

I was quite disappointed with fd since it only works in full auto
mode and doesn't always detect faces. It might just be because I
was trying to take pictures in the dark yesterday but my sister's
face was detected maybe once in 10 shots. Indoor situations are
better though.
I think i'll need to post process some of these pics, such as the
ones w/ purple fringing, but other than that, i'm pretty impressed.
I hate the flash on this too. It's too bright...unless there's a
setting I don't know of that lets me tone it down a bit

it's raining outside so i'll try that tomorrow

I find that some areas of the picture are well lit by the flash and other areas are extremely dark but it seems you do have a point. A bright flash is better than one that barely fires.

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
invalid test (completely) ...

Different lighting, different light levels, no EXIF ...

Exactly what could be determined from this test? The answer is nothing.

Sorry to be so blunt ... but pixel peeping demands a high degree of variable control, and you've controlled none of them.

The test is in fact worse than no test, because it is misleading.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
Re: invalid test (completely) ...

Hi Kim, were you replying to my post or pacman's?

If it is pacman's, he has provided a link to the original files which has the complete EXIF (It is somewhere at the bottom of his posts).

If it is my post that you are refering to, then yes I agree that it is not an equal comparison (besides it is not a test). What I have pointed out and trying to verify is the amount of blotchiness that I see on the F31fd sample. Something that I don't (or haven't) see with the F30. Again it could be (and very well be) just a lighting issue as Bart Hickman has stated he has seen before with his F30.

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Different lighting, different light levels, no EXIF ...

Exactly what could be determined from this test? The answer is
nothing.

Sorry to be so blunt ... but pixel peeping demands a high degree of
variable control, and you've controlled none of them.

The test is in fact worse than no test, because it is misleading.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads