D40 and Macintosh operating system

Started Dec 14, 2006 | Discussions
duchess mcmann Forum Member • Posts: 98
D40 and Macintosh operating system

Again, I am asking for help. Does anyone with a D40 download to iphoto on a Mac.

I do NOT want to use the Nikon CD to put another photo managing software on my mac.

If i download pics directly to iphoto, is there any setting on the D40 that I must use?

Thanks again...and you all have been great!

.............O

sdevan45 Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: D40 and Macintosh operating system

I'd recommend not downloading from the camera, but rather from a usb card reader. That way, you won't risk of running down the camera battery on long downloads. There is a program on your Mac called Image Capture. Under file/preferences you can set the application you want to open when you download.

If you want to download directly from your camera, it shouldn't matter if you're using a D40.
--

When you meet a dog that talks, express amazement before criticizing its grammar.

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Maybe like this, and link to Nikon D40 PDF manual ...

... if you download the PDF manual (instructions at http://nikond40.dpnotes.com/where-to-download-the-nikon-d40-user-manual/ ) and jump to page 55 in Adobe Acrobat Reader, you see this:

Hope this helps.

alainfisher Junior Member • Posts: 29

If you plug in the D40 does OSX display it as a drive called "Nikon D40"? If so then iPhoto should be able to download photos from the camera. If not you'll probably have to wait for an update from Apple

Alain

adrew Junior Member • Posts: 41

I have a D50 and a Mac with the newest version of iPhoto. When you connect the camera to the computer iPhoto launches automatically and prompts you to transfer the images. Super easy. You can disable it if you prefer to handle the transfers manually.

My Mac is kind of old and only has low-speed USB so transferring a full 1 GB card takes awhile. Has anybody found a Firewire card reader that does Secure Digital?

linear Contributing Member • Posts: 572

Addonics has a Firewire card reader that does SD which claims to be Mac compatible.

Lacie also had one which looked suspiciously similar.

adrew Junior Member • Posts: 41

Awesome, thanks. Looks like it's been discontinued but I found a bunch of places selling the Addonics one on Froogle.

OP duchess mcmann Forum Member • Posts: 98

Thanks, everyone. i went ahead and tried it. I hooked the USB cable to D40 and my mac, turned on the camera....i already had launched iphoto. I clicked "import" and violla....pics rapidly transferred to iphoto. What a great computer and wonderful D40 (both black and silver).

A blessed holiday to all on Jesus' birthday.

............O

cr697 Regular Member • Posts: 342

If you take jpg, that's finie. If the RAW photos are the same as D80, there is an update on Apple's site you need:

If you have an Intel Mac http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/digitalcamerarawsupportupdate101universal.html

If you have a PowerPC Mac http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/digitalcamerarawsupportupdate101ppc.html

Download, install, and try importing a RAW file
--
Christopher

aj_taylor Contributing Member • Posts: 964

duchess mcmann wrote:

Again, I am asking for help. Does anyone with a D40 download to
iphoto on a Mac.
I do NOT want to use the Nikon CD to put another photo managing
software on my mac.
If i download pics directly to iphoto, is there any setting on the
D40 that I must use?

Should just work, provided you get the RAW update as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

You might want to check out the dpreview Mac forum - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1017

John McMillin Contributing Member • Posts: 660

I just tried the mac download and the computer told me it wasn't necessary. I have 10.4.8, updated frequently.

John McMillin's gear list:John McMillin's gear list
Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads