DSC H5..Cannot half press

Started Dec 4, 2006 | Discussions
Suyash New Member • Posts: 9
DSC H5..Cannot half press

I got a DSC H5 1 month ago. I realized that i wasnt able to half press the click button. When I half pressed the button, the camera didnt lock the image. I have noticed that in all the other cameras, when I half press the button, the camera focuses the image and locks the focus. This didnt happen in mine.

I went to the store and got it replaced. Initailly the camera was able to lock the image. But now, the camera is again not able to lock the image when i half press the button.

Can someone please let me know if this is a (known)problem with the camera or is it some setting which i need to fix. I have tried setting the camera to default mode by initialized the setting, but it didnt help.

Steven W. Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 3,684
Re: DSC H5..Cannot half press

In the camera's setup menu, check the AF (auto focus)
setting and make sure it's set to "monitor" and not "continuous."
That's all I can think of.

Steve

Also make sure you're not in manual focus mode (push
the focus button in front of the shutter button to cycle
through the options).

Steve

OP Suyash New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks Steve,

I have put the setting in Continuous Focus mode..also the the camera is not in manual mode..its in automatic. It still made no difference. Do you know if there is a known problem with H5?

Suyash wrote:

I have put the setting in Continuous Focus mode..also the the
camera is not in manual mode..its in automatic. It still made no
difference. Do you know if there is a known problem with H5?

Hi Suyash,

I'm not aware of anyone else having a problem like this,
and I follow a lot of the posts here, especailly those about
the H5. Are you shooting with adequate light? In any
mode other than manual focus, when you half press the
shutter the green focus light will blink and then turn on
continously. Also, the bracket (multi-point, flexible spot, etc.)
will turn green. This indicates that the camera has achieved
focus. The picture itself won't lock; that is to say, if something
is moving, it will continue to move. However, the focus distance
will be set. The only other thing I can think of that would cause
focus problems, would be inadequate light.

It's weird that you would get two cameras with the same
exact problem. Keep looking for an answer before deciding
that it's defective.

Steve

Suyash wrote:

also the the
camera is not in manual mode..its in automatic

Just so we're clear, I wasn't referring to manual mode on the
selector dial ( (M)anaul, (A)perture priority, (S)hutter priority, etc).
There is a button in front of the shutter labled "Focus." Did you
try pressing that to be sure you're not in manual focus mode?

Steve

Suyash wrote:

Sorry for so many posts, but I keep seeing things. You said
you "have put the setting in Continuous Focus mode." Wrong!
Set it to MONITOR focus mode. In continuous mode it will
continue to change focus until you press the shutter.

Steve

Thanks Steve...I will look forward to more answers.

OTD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,701
Suyash,

Would you please post the setting in menu mode for AF mode, the type of focus the camera is set at in the shooting mode, and the setting on the mode dial.

Don't change anything yet

I have not been able to repeat your problem.
--
Marion Warling

Re: Suyash,

Thanks Marion,

I have tried all possible permutation and combination...but no luck yet. Do let me know if you find out the solution for it.

Legoman New Member • Posts: 21
Re: H5 AF

Suyash,

It's not likely you would get 2 H5's with the same problem. This isn't a known H5 issue so perhaps you can try these settings.

Look at Pg 38 of the manual. Press the FOCUS button just behind the shutter release and set it to Center AF.

Next see Pg 56 and set the AF Mode to Single (S AF). I find this minimizes the zoom lens hunting and searching before locking. A quick tap or half press of the shutter button is all you need to bring the image into focus. You can then zoom in or out to compose/frame.

Single AF seems to work quicker than Continuous or Monitor even for birds in flight. It may extend battery life. You may want to change it to Monitor AF later on, but try this for now.

Also, try this in good light (sunny/daytime) on a subject with decent contrast edges, at a decent shutter speed like 1/125. Does it still have a problem?

Finally, please read Alan's essential guide at http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
paying particular attention to Chapters 1 and 14
--
D70, H5

AAK Forum Pro • Posts: 16,272
You've got it backwards

You don't want it in Continuous Autofocus. You want to take it OUT of continuous Autofocus. Continuous Autofocus never locks, it keeps refocusing all the time you take the picture, and even when you're done. That's designed strictly to make sure you don't lose focus on a very fast moving subject like a racecar or a fast athlete.

There is no known problem with H5 not focusing. Now that you've had it on two cameras, you know that you simply have a setting wrong.

BTW, the picture does not freeze. The only thing that happens is that the blinking green dot on the LCD or EVF stops blinking and (if you have the sounds turned on) a little bell goes off.

If you're expecting the picture itself to freeze (as your message actually said), you're waiting for something that is not going to happen.

The only indication of focus is the green dot.

Please read my White Paper. If you check Chapter 14, it has a whole list of settings for your H5 that should ensure that it works properly.

Http: www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper

Hope this helps. I believe there is nothing actually wrong with your camera.

Suyash wrote:

Thanks Steve,

-- hide signature --

=~ AAK - http://www.aakatz.com
=~ Author of The White Paper
=~ http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper

Chrisc2 New Member • Posts: 23
Re: You've got it backwards

Hi,

I bought a H5 approx 1 month ago and have been using it (successfully) since in anticipation of getting some amazing photographs while in the Maldives in January.

I think the camera now has the same problem mentioned above. The "half press" function does now not work. The green light and beep does not appear when half pressing the shutter and the camera is set in Centre Focus.

While viewing previously taken images it was possible to switch to take picture mode by half pressing the shutter at this time. This does now not work which makes me think that there is a problem

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

albert163 Junior Member • Posts: 45

wow, looks as if sony is having a lot of smillilar problems with this, i was having the same problem and decided to send mines in for a repair. i hope that your can get better without having to wait amost a month with out your camera. i have like a week. and i hate it! cant wait to get her back

woodson Forum Member • Posts: 75

Have you initialized the camera. This is the third step on troubleshooting on page 93.
Menu
Setup 1

It's not all that clear, but iit seems this will reset all settings to factory default. If it's a settings problems I think this would fix it.
Give it a try and let us know.
Woody

Vidi New Member • Posts: 9

I had the same problem. As I went to the shop they were testing all the things mentioned before but nothing happens. So I am waiting now nearly

five weeks for it. Last week they offered me another little Digicam for the rest of waiting time.

In an other German forum I found persons with the same disfunction. I mail with someone who can see by a special login what happens with his camera. It´s a special thing of the shutter unit which doesn´t work and Sony have problems to get it. Ellen
--
my english is not very good - sorry

ricky jung Regular Member • Posts: 363

good luck guys, I do believe sony does have a half press switch problem with the pre focusing...something to do with a switch block, for my H2 went in twice so far and I hope it's finally fixed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74101301@N00/show/

woodson Forum Member • Posts: 75

While chatting with Sony support batteries were mentioned. This got me wondering if the battery might be part of the problem. Sony battery is rated at 2500 mh. I bought four duracell 2650 nimh batteries for $10 us dollars. If you have not given this a try, it might help.

If you use the Sony charger try another. If not go back to the Sony. Make sure the battery is fully charged. It took me something like 6 hours to charge Sony's batteries with Sony's charger.
--
Woody
'If you don't have a camera, you don't have a picture.'
Supporting the right to keep and bear cameras.
http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper

I was very frustrated because the 2nd H5 also had the same problem. So now I got a third one. This one is functioning fine....at least for now.

I see that many people are facing the same problem and apparently it is a recurring problem. It is a very sad thing that a brand like Sony has such problematic equipments.

If anyone has more info on this please post it....just in case this one starts to give the same problem again.

SUITES_JSB Contributing Member • Posts: 649

I agree with you. This only means a very poor quality control on the cameras once they are assembled. Those facts may jeopardize the good reputation of any brand.
JSB
--
------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to comment, critique and or
PP any image I post unless otherwise noted.
--
H5
ITALY

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads