First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Started Nov 22, 2006 | Discussions
boosh71 Regular Member • Posts: 361
First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Well I have a piece of dust on the sensor, so I decided to use the dust removal feature. You can actually feel the sensor hitting a hard stop as it trys to shake the dust off. Unfortunately, the spec of dust remains. Maybe this just happens to be a stubborn piece and the DR will shake off any future dust.

Anyone else found any dust on their K10D?

-- hide signature --

-Brent

Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165
Not much hope for me....

because my problem is rarely dust. It's soot. Sticky, greasy, soot. A lot of people cook on open wood fires and the diesel trucks belch soot. I think I'll keep my supply of pec pads and solvent handy.

Anthony Cheh Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Hi Brent:

Try opening the shutter and raising the mirror with the "sensor cleaning/mirror up function" (found under the setup menu) and blowing the dust away with a squeeze type blower. I use a decent sized ear syringe (a rocket blower will work as well, but avoid canned "air" as this can deposit propellant on surfaces and tends to be very cold too). Do this while keeping the lens mount pointed down.

I found two very small dust specks on my new K10D CCD. They were removed immediately in this manner. I'd say out of all the DSLRs I've owned over the years, about half had some kind of dust on the sensor, brand new out of the box (two had really large and noticeable dust bunnies).

If that doesn't do the trick, you might have to use something that makes contact with the sensor surface and is designed for the purpose. These include wet cleaning solutions, such as Pec Pads with Eclipse, and dry solutions like Spec Grabber (the tip is a type of polymer that is a little sticky, but leaves no residue because no adhesive is used).

Do NOT use materials designed for cleaning lenses or more homebrewed approaches such as tape : )

If it's any comfort, you're not likely to see any small dust specks that do show up when a lens is stopped all the way down and pointed at a uniformly lit surface, when you actually take pictures at more normal apertures.

Hope this helps and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Tony

OP boosh71 Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try. I wonder where I could buy that Pentax sensor cleaning tool that was mentioned in the second paragraph of this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20633820

I couldn't find it on their website.

-- hide signature --

-Brent

ao1657 Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

boosh71 wrote:

I wonder where I could
buy that Pentax sensor cleaning tool that was mentioned in the
second paragraph of this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20633820

I couldn't find it on their website.

The cleaning kit is not found on Pentax sites yet, but I posted the info on this thread. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20973314
The article says it is released on Nov. 30th in Japan.

Susumu

ao1657 Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Thanks for the report.

Anthony Cheh wrote:

I'd say out of all the DSLRs
I've owned over the years, about half had some kind of dust on the
sensor, brand new out of the box (two had really large and
noticeable dust bunnies).

It's said brandnew DSLRs tend to create dusts from inside of the body for the first few months after the users start to use out of the box.

Susumu

Anthony Cheh Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

ao1657 wrote:

It's said brandnew DSLRs tend to create dusts from inside of the
body for the first few months after the users start to use out of
the box.

Susumu

Yes, people worry abut dust entering the mirror box when they change lenses, but forget (or don't know) that all of the moving mechanical parts near the sensor (e.g., shutter blades, mirror mechanism, auto diaphgram actuator) also create small particles as they "break in".

Tony

yakand Junior Member • Posts: 40
Dust Removal on K10D is one of the major features printed on the box

Anthony Cheh wrote:

ao1657 wrote:

It's said brandnew DSLRs tend to create dusts from inside of the
body for the first few months after the users start to use out of
the box.

Susumu

Yes, people worry abut dust entering the mirror box when they
change lenses, but forget (or don't know) that all of the moving
mechanical parts near the sensor (e.g., shutter blades, mirror
mechanism, auto diaphgram actuator) also create small particles as
they "break in".

Tony

That’s absolutely right. Dust does enter into the chamber, but K10D has Dust Removal system (coating and shaking), which should remove dust from the sensor/low pass filter and hold it on the adhesive tape on the bottom of the chamber. I have an Olympus E-1 and change lenses regularly while taking pictures. And never had dust in my images. My purchase of K10D is on hold now.

 yakand's gear list:yakand's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
justin23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: Dust Removal on K10D is one of the major features printed on the box

None of the dust removal systems are that good. I keep hearing from people on here about how good their olympus dust removal system is... Yet seen more evidence of it not working.

In reality they have been lucky not to get a big bit of dust on their sensor.

I've known several people who couldn't get dust off their sensor and they had an olympus with the dust removal.

I certainly would not base buying a camera on the dust removal system, thats for sure.

I had my DL2 for 3 months before i noticed dust. Several people on here have had dust within days. Some have not had dust for a year.

I've seen many tests done and it appears the dust removal system help keep minor dust pecs off, but if you get a bad spec none of them remove them (Sony or Olympus, haven't seen a pentax or canon test yet).

 justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
hizzoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,279
Enough Acronyms

boosh71 wrote:
Maybe this just happens to be a stubborn

piece and the DR will shake off any future dust.

Will the DR affect the DR? Maybe you could post an example so we could all CR the DR affect on the DR. Those of us with a high IQ could also comment on the IQ. Or the DR. Just to, you know, confuse the heck out of the newbies.

radix Contributing Member • Posts: 629
actually...

it works on the Oly's.
take a look at this (mouse over on the pic):

http://manfred-paul.de/Experimente/sensor.htm

it's from this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=19439193

and this is the comparison with A100:
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=468

maybe this is because the implementation of the dust removal mechanism is different.

cheers
radix

justin23 wrote:

None of the dust removal systems are that good. I keep hearing from
people on here about how good their olympus dust removal system
is... Yet seen more evidence of it not working.

In reality they have been lucky not to get a big bit of dust on
their sensor.
I've known several people who couldn't get dust off their sensor
and they had an olympus with the dust removal.

I certainly would not base buying a camera on the dust removal
system, thats for sure.

I had my DL2 for 3 months before i noticed dust. Several people on
here have had dust within days. Some have not had dust for a year.

I've seen many tests done and it appears the dust removal system
help keep minor dust pecs off, but if you get a bad spec none of
them remove them (Sony or Olympus, haven't seen a pentax or canon
test yet).

Zoltan2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
Hmm

Doesn't the dustbuster activate upon each and every startup? You have to tell the camera to do so?

-- hide signature --

pbase Supporter

Anthony Cheh Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Olympus SSW is different..

Olympus uses ultrasonic vibrations on a cover plate. Sony and Pentax use the same "motors" that drive the image stabilization, so their "shaking" movements are much lower in frequency but much larger in amplitude than Olympus' system.

Olympus' system has apparently been used on medical and scientific equipment for some time before incoporation into the E-1 (and subsequent) cameras.

None of the systems can guarantee freedom from dust, particularly when moisture or even humidity increases the adhesion of contaminants. People who work in dust or pollen filled environments will likely have to do wet cleaning at some point, particularly if ambient humidity levels are high. Pentax's sensor cleaner, using a relatively large polyurethane material that is naturally sticky, but non-adhesive, could also work quite well.

In my own (limited and very unscientific) experience, the Olympus system seemed to work well; there was never any visible sensor dust in my well-used E-1, even after many lens changes. But that's hardly a meaningful database to draw conclusions from.

It's too early to tell how well the Pentax system works, but the flourine coating they use is similar in principle to coatings used on some B + W and Heliopan filters, and some eyeglasses.

In any event, an active dust removal system is certainly better than none at all.

TOny

ngap Senior Member • Posts: 1,860
Re: Hmm

Zoltan2 wrote:

Doesn't the dustbuster activate upon each and every startup? You
have to tell the camera to do so?

Apparently by default no but it can be set on in the options. This is not based on personal use yet but from what others have said.

OP boosh71 Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: Enough Acronyms

hizzoner wrote:
boosh71 wrote:
Maybe this just happens to be a stubborn

piece and the DR will shake off any future dust.

Will the DR affect the DR? Maybe you could post an example so we
could all CR the DR affect on the DR. Those of us with a high IQ
could also comment on the IQ. Or the DR. Just to, you know, confuse
the heck out of the newbies.

I used "DR" once, and it is pretty easy to figure out what it is by reading my post. Also, DR is what Pentax calls the dust removal system.

-- hide signature --

-Brent

OP boosh71 Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: Hmm

Zoltan2 wrote:

Doesn't the dustbuster activate upon each and every startup? You
have to tell the camera to do so?

From the factory it is set to off. You can turn it on so that it shakes the sensor at start up, or you can activate it manually.

-- hide signature --

-Brent

OP boosh71 Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: First attempt at dust removal with K10D

Well guys I see two specs of dust, after trying the Dust Removal feature on my K10D, they are still there. I used a rocket blower which removed one of them. I cannot get rid of the other, maybe the shop will take care of it for me since I just bought it. It looks as if The Dust Removal is not very effective. Oh well, still a great cameras.
--
-Brent

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads