Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Started Nov 21, 2006 | Discussions
eandhreid New Member • Posts: 12
Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Yet another Panasonic FZXX owner upgrading to the K10D as soon as it finds its way to Canada (why do Canadians get a 2YR warranty whereas Americans only get 1YR?).

Yet another prospective K10D owner wondering about lens options.

The only DA14 pictures I could find that have been posted in this forum primarily concentrate on indoor pictures. I understand the allure of 14mm for tight spaces, but surely someone has taken advantage of this fine lens for more natural uses? There are 143 images at pbase.com but very few landscapes. Any examples people could share?

I can pick up the DA16-45 for US$350 or the DA14 for US$400ish.

The type of images I'm interested in taking can be seen at:

http://members.shaw.ca/c.dev/

Images taken with Pentax MZ-7 and Panasonic FZ20.

Thank you for any help.

Eric

manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,390
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Keep trying to look under 14mm in this forum. Here is a link to a poster who appears to have started with the 16-45 and recently acquired a 14mm. He has some of the best 14mm Landscapes I've seen.

http://www.andymcinroy.com/

Others have posted recently their 14mm outdoor landscapes. Keep looking, there there.

martym Regular Member • Posts: 464
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

eandhreid wrote:

Yet another Panasonic FZXX owner upgrading to the K10D as soon as
it finds its way to Canada (why do Canadians get a 2YR warranty
whereas Americans only get 1YR?).

Yet another prospective K10D owner wondering about lens options.
The only DA14 pictures I could find that have been posted in this
forum primarily concentrate on indoor pictures. I understand the
allure of 14mm for tight spaces, but surely someone has taken
advantage of this fine lens for more natural uses? There are 143
images at pbase.com but very few landscapes. Any examples people
could share?

I can pick up the DA16-45 for US$350 or the DA14 for US$400ish.

The type of images I'm interested in taking can be seen at:

http://members.shaw.ca/c.dev/

Images taken with Pentax MZ-7 and Panasonic FZ20.

Thank you for any help.

Eric

Hi

The DA14 will work very well for landscapes but in the US it's more than $200 more.
Marty

OP eandhreid New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

manual_focus wrote:

Keep trying to look under 14mm in this forum. Here is a link to a
poster who appears to have started with the 16-45 and recently
acquired a 14mm. He has some of the best 14mm Landscapes I've seen.

http://www.andymcinroy.com/

Others have posted recently their 14mm outdoor landscapes. Keep
looking, there there.

So patient and calming. Thank you for the pointer to Andy's site. His work is gorgeous.

Eric

Stan_k Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

eandhreid wrote:

Yet another Panasonic FZXX owner upgrading to the K10D as soon as
it finds its way to Canada (why do Canadians get a 2YR warranty
whereas Americans only get 1YR?).

Yet another prospective K10D owner wondering about lens options.
The only DA14 pictures I could find that have been posted in this
forum primarily concentrate on indoor pictures. I understand the
allure of 14mm for tight spaces, but surely someone has taken
advantage of this fine lens for more natural uses? There are 143
images at pbase.com but very few landscapes. Any examples people
could share?

.

here is some DA 14mm 2.8 shots.

OP eandhreid New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

martym wrote:

eandhreid wrote:

I can pick up the DA16-45 for US$350 or the DA14 for US$400ish.

The DA14 will work very well for landscapes but in the US it's more
than $200 more.

I'm not familiar with the company, but chumbo.com receives good reviews. For those in the US who don't want to pay US$600, they have it for sale (out of stock right now but a deal's worth waiting for!) at US$369.99.

Eric

OP eandhreid New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Stan_k wrote:

here is some DA 14mm 2.8 shots.

Oh, wow! Those are super, Stan. That's the sort of crispness I'm hoping to coax out of the K10D. Thank you for sharing.

Eric

Stan_k Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

eandhreid wrote:

Stan_k wrote:

here is some DA 14mm 2.8 shots.

Oh, wow! Those are super, Stan. That's the sort of crispness I'm
hoping to coax out of the K10D. Thank you for sharing.

Eric

Thanx
Those was shot with DS ( RAW),so i think K10D will do even better.

St.

Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

-- hide signature --

Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
distudio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,914
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

"Surf Rescue" is a great example of the use of the 14's exceptional DOF, great shot Lance.

-- hide signature --

Rob

 distudio's gear list:distudio's gear list
Sony RX100 II Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax 645Z Nikon D750
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

distudio wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

"Surf Rescue" is a great example of the use of the 14's exceptional
DOF, great shot Lance.

Thank you for your nice comment, Rob and coming from you it means alot.

-- hide signature --

Rob

-- hide signature --

Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Absolutely beautiful shots, Stan.
--
Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Stan_k Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Lance B wrote:

Absolutely beautiful shots, Stan.
--
Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

Thank you Lance

Yours shots are very nice too.

Stan

OP eandhreid New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

Those are beautiful, Lance. I especially like the way the colors pop in number 1 and the contrast between the vibrant blue and the impending storm in number 3.

Now I just have to move to Sydney.

Eric

frank
frank Veteran Member • Posts: 6,961
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

I knew I'd see this one again, Lance This is the major reason that I got mine

-- hide signature --

Frank
GMT+8hours

 frank's gear list:frank's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
frank
frank Veteran Member • Posts: 6,961
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

I just did a two hours city walk several days ago w/ my Ds and the DA14/2.8 lens. It's a great city walkabout lens I'd say:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20956867

I'm sure you'd love it too.

Cheers,
--
Frank
GMT+8hours

 frank's gear list:frank's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,885
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

Hi,

Went to chumbo.com... and the KA16-45 is listed @ $809.99!!! I'm interested in why you have the rather low price of 389.00?

Thanks,

Nic

eandhreid wrote:

martym wrote:

eandhreid wrote:

I can pick up the DA16-45 for US$350 or the DA14 for US$400ish.

The DA14 will work very well for landscapes but in the US it's more
than $200 more.

I'm not familiar with the company, but chumbo.com receives good
reviews. For those in the US who don't want to pay US$600, they
have it for sale (out of stock right now but a deal's worth waiting
for!) at US$369.99.

Eric

jeffkrol Veteran Member • Posts: 6,225
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape

eandhreid wrote:

iwhy do Canadians get a 2YR warranty
whereas Americans only get 1YR?.

Think it's a law of some sort..........
--
360 minutes from the prime meridian. (-5375min, 3.55sec) 1093' above sea level.

'The exposure meter is calibrated to some clearly defined standards and the user needs to adjust his working method and his subject matter to these values. It does not help to suppose all kinds of assumptions that do not exist.'
Erwin Puts

Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

eandhreid wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

Those are beautiful, Lance. I especially like the way the colors
pop in number 1 and the contrast between the vibrant blue and the
impending storm in number 3.

Thank you very much, Eric. Much appreciated.

Now I just have to move to Sydney.

Please do! Love to see you here.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358
Re: Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape (5 x img)

frank wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Here are some of my DA14 shots:

I knew I'd see this one again, Lance

It's a personal favourite as you may have guessed.

This is the major reason that I got mine

All my fault.

-- hide signature --

Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads