Dynamic Range K10 [img]

Started Nov 20, 2006 | Discussions
.Sam.
.Sam. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,199
Dynamic Range K10 [img]

I wanted to shoot a very high contrast image to test the dynamic range;

K10D+Tamron 28-75 (Shot RAW) @F/6.7 @75mm @1/350s ISO100

Again this image is right out of camera plus a bit of sharpening (Detail as it's called in Lightroom). The shadows of the carts would have been completely black in DS in this image highlights are not clipped, and yet you can see great detail in shadow areas (under her left eye). I think I'm beginning to believe the Pentax's techno mombo jombo about the dynamic range

Another note; I've been shooting RAW+JPG, and the JPG out of camera looks exactly like this one. Their JPG engine inside the K10 is very good.

Finally; we are gonna need GREAT lenses. So much detail is captured, and if the lens is not up to the task, we will notice it This little K10 is gonna be much more expensive than I had hoped 21, 31, 43, 77, 60-250... oh boy.

-- hide signature --
 .Sam.'s gear list:.Sam.'s gear list
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
*isteve Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
To hell with the DR

what a great picture!

-- hide signature --

Steve
Measurebating makes you short sighted.
http://www.pbase.com/steve_jacob

Dolan Halbrook
Dolan Halbrook Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Re: Dynamic Range K10 [img]

I shot this image as a DR test -- not sure how it will show up on people's screens but there really are NO burnt highlights in the RAW file:

Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
SFT007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874

That lemon looks pretty blown to me (which is normal for such a shot IMO).

Dolan Halbrook wrote:

I shot this image as a DR test -- not sure how it will show up on
people's screens but there really are NO burnt highlights in the
RAW file:

-- hide signature --

Sinan

SFT007's gear list:SFT007's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
wll Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Sam,

With the test I've done I also noticed the DR was very much improved compared to the Ds. I also noticed the images seem to "POP".

Color is very well controlled yet bright and realistic. As much as I love the DS this camera is light years ahead, not only image quality but the way it handles and it's focusing speed, of course the SR is fantastic.

It was nice seeing you and LaRee at Del Mar.

wll

RoscoT Senior Member • Posts: 2,943
Re: To hell with the DR

*isteve wrote:

what a great picture!

My sentiments also. Great shot Sam.
--
Rosco
Terminal Stage LBA
http://www.pbase.com/roscot

RoscoT's gear list:RoscoT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
AstroShooter Contributing Member • Posts: 504

Excellent pic. Do you think that the Tamron is good enought for the K10D?

Regars,

-- hide signature --

Javier.

azigman Senior Member • Posts: 2,009

The problem I am going to have is in considering my DS to be my "back-up" camera for weddings. Black Tux - White gown, always a challenge.

Looks like the K10 is up the challenge. I just better not drop it.

Your image is very impressive in terms of Dynamic Range and I am excited to see this is from the jpg. My plan is to shoot DNG + jpg. If the jpg works, I move on. When I blow the exposure, fall back on the DNG. Try not to blow the exposure.

Be well,

AZ
--

'There is an art, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw
yourself at the ground and miss.'Douglas Adams'

Its a start: http://www.pbase.com/frumsimchasphoto

.Sam.
OP .Sam. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,199
@100 percent

I hope this also helps. Something the original image failed to show was the texture of her shirt. It's white, but it's not blown out in FULL sun You can also see some of the shadows detail here.

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
.Sam.
thanks guys ;-) (n/t)
-- hide signature --
Mousehill Veteran Member • Posts: 7,563

Sam,

You're pulling our leg here...... you take great photos with every camera I bet!!

Yet, it's a beauty in terms of exposure indeed!

Mike
--
--

http://www.culinair.com

Mousehill's gear list:Mousehill's gear list
Pentax K-1
.Sam.

It was great meeting you two as well. I think we should have a Pentax meeting for all of the southern California users

-- hide signature --
Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812
Technical details please

What metering mode have you both used? Was any exposure compensation applied?

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
RoscoT Senior Member • Posts: 2,943
do you mind a question?

What size SD card are you using, and how many RAW+Jpeg shots are you getting per card?

Thanks
--
Rosco
Terminal Stage LBA
http://www.pbase.com/roscot

RoscoT's gear list:RoscoT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
dlkitch Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Technical details please

This is a great shot, not only technically showing the DR capability, but your photography abiltiies too! Execellent photo...cheers.......Don.

Ivan Glisin
Ivan Glisin Contributing Member • Posts: 726
Right!!! :-) [nt]

*isteve wrote:

what a great picture!

.Sam.

Edvinas wrote:

What metering mode have you both used? Was any exposure
compensation applied?

K10D+Tamron 28-75 (Shot RAW) @F/6.7 @75mm @1/350s ISO100

Pattern metering, center spot AF, no EV

I was either in GREEN mode (after all it's my second day) or the Av mode. I was experimenting to see how camera operates in different modes.

My experience is that the DS tends to underexpose to preserve detail. The K10's exposure so far has been spot on.

-- hide signature --
.Sam.
thanks you (n/t)
-- hide signature --
.Sam.
Re: do you mind a question?

I have several 1G cards. It show 47 available when shooting DNG+JPG. ( jpg)

As I said the JPG files are amazingly small, and almost identical in detail with the RAW files (I guess that shows not much noise is captured).

-- hide signature --
Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812

.Sam. wrote:

My experience is that the DS tends to underexpose to preserve
detail. The K10's exposure so far has been spot on.

This was most interesting for me. Seems that K10D exposure metering system works really well.

Very nice shot, BTW

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads