30D Firmware Update

Started Nov 2, 2006 | Discussions
4-8-4-Northern Regular Member • Posts: 359
30D Firmware Update

Canon's firmware update 1) fixes a bug which mis-reports the number of continuous shots which can be taken and 2) adds a 'semi-gloss paper' option for direct printing.

Contrast this with Nikon's firmware update for the D200, etc. here: ( http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100301nikonfirmware.asp ). What a difference!!!

Why does Canon add something pathetic like a new direct printing option (who uses direct print anyway?), while Nikon throws everything but the kitchen sink into their firmware updates?

spider Contributing Member • Posts: 512
So what?

4-8-4-Northern wrote:

Canon's firmware update 1) fixes a bug which mis-reports the number
of continuous shots which can be taken and 2) adds a 'semi-gloss
paper' option for direct printing.

Contrast this with Nikon's firmware update for the D200, etc. here:
( http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100301nikonfirmware.asp ).
What a difference!!!

Why does Canon add something pathetic like a new direct printing
option (who uses direct print anyway?), while Nikon throws
everything but the kitchen sink into their firmware updates?

armand kailich Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: 30D Firmware Update

Seems like Nikon missed out a lot of things in the first place

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 30D
Canon 17-85 IS USM
Canon 50mm 1.8 MkII
Tamron AF28-300 F/3.5-6.3 XR Di
All pictures displayed are © by armand.kailich
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/ArmandKailich/

SelrahCharleS Senior Member • Posts: 2,701
Because direct print is important

Soon they will start replacing other buttons with "Direct Transfer", "Direct Wireless Transfer", "Direct Burn"... and other such buttons:)
--

Technical Info: Roseart U.S.A. Gold #2 pencil, Pentel High Polymer eraser, Academie sketch pad drawing paper. Drawn clumsily under relatively poor light.

http://www.geocities.com/wild_tiger_1

http://flickr.com/photos/selrahcharles/

bamnehagen Regular Member • Posts: 116

4-8-4-Northern wrote:
[..]

Why does Canon add something pathetic like a new direct printing
option (who uses direct print anyway?), while Nikon throws
everything but the kitchen sink into their firmware updates?

Because Nikon needs it and Canon don't?

-- hide signature --

It is not that my right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing - it's just not very interested

JimH Forum Pro • Posts: 12,911
Some good stuff in the new Nikon firmware.

Just reading through the updated items makes me wish that Canon would add some of those features to my old 20D. But Canon never offers increased utility or features in firmware updates for old cameras.

Darn, I really wish they would

Here are some of the things in the Nikon update that I'd like to see added to my 20D - along with the base features that are required to support them, of course!

A Save/load settings item has been added to the setup menu.

Max. sensitivity and Min. shutter speed options have been added to the ISO auto menu.

A Recent settings item has been added to the setup menu.

Latitude and longitude GPS data now displays up to 3 digits* for each segment.
3-digit display may not be possible with some GPS devices.

A compass bearing is displayed in the GPS data, if used with a GPS device is equipped with digital compass.

Autofocus subject acquisition and tracking performance has been improved.

What do you think, any chance?

Nahhhhh!

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

Lenny L Senior Member • Posts: 1,794

Some time back Canon added wireless transmitter support for the 20D when it released ver 2.0 of the firmware. I assume this is still present in 30D. Since it costs about as much as another camera, I was never very interested in getting one.

Not sure about image authentication on xxD Canon bodies. Haven't needed it, so never looked into it. But for the D200, optional (read : additional cost) software is required.

So as far as I know, both manufacturers will upgrade the firmware to add support for new accessories that they make. And they will fix problems if they determine it is serious enough. I can't comment on the D2X/D2Hs updates. Those look like very useful updates. But they are also Nikon's top of the line cameras.

Lenny L's gear list:Lenny L's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Lenny L Senior Member • Posts: 1,794
Re: Some good stuff in the new Nikon firmware.

JimH wrote:

Just reading through the updated items makes me wish that Canon
would add some of those features to my old 20D. But Canon never
offers increased utility or features in firmware updates for old
cameras.

Darn, I really wish they would

I can understand why they don't ( cough lens hood cough ) but I wish there is some sort of compromise. If they can spin off a company (for legal liability, but still to maintain control over the firmware source code and proprietary information) that would offer firmware upgrades with improved features for a fee, I might pay if the feature / price is right.

You can copy protect firmware by having it signed and have it meant for a unique camera body serial number only.

But I guess the margins on hardware is higher for them.

Lenny L's gear list:Lenny L's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
mdg Regular Member • Posts: 355
maybe there was less missing from the Canon firmware n/t

n/t = no text

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,214
I suggest you buy a Nikon (nt)
-- hide signature --

When I ask which Canon lenses are best,
people tell me to 'go to L.'

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
30DWinchy Forum Member • Posts: 66
Hidden Updates

Do you really think they'll admit fault to you and competitors?
Who knows what else they tweak, improved, fixed or added.
They don't have to disclose everything you know.
I for one, welcome the update.

-- hide signature --

//inchy

GothtinPowers Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: Some good stuff in the new Nikon firmware.

That's the key there, many people would probably pay for upgrades, and I'm sure most Canon users would rather have that option rather than no option.

MachuRoberts Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
two ways of looking at it...

1) canon got it right the first time....so all they can do is add trival stuff now

2) nikon has a lot to make up for...missed alot the first time...

hence Canon took their time when releasing cameras...and latley Nikon is just shooting them out.
--
-Machu

Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze foregiv me.

The Beauty of IR

MachuRoberts's gear list:MachuRoberts's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Jola013
Jola013 Senior Member • Posts: 1,847
Not Much Added To D200 Firmware ...

Only :
1) Wireless Support
2) Image authentication

It is to the D2X that a lot of features were added, and that is to bring those cameras closer to the D2Xs specification.

It is a Nikon policy to provide a major firmware upgrade to the old model (D70, D2X) when they do a facelift model (D70s, D2Xs).

Note that they do not have facelift revisions for all cameras. There may or may not ever be a D200s. But if they do bring one out the D200 will probably get a decent firmware upgrade.

You can argue that those features mentioned at the top should have been in there in the first place, but that the firmware was not ready at the D200 launch.

Jola013
Jola013 Senior Member • Posts: 1,847
Also, I Have Upgraded my 30D ...

It seems to work fine, but I have not really had time to check it out for undocumented enhancements.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: So what?

so what?

there is a lot of functionality that canon coul dhave added at various is so what. have to give nikon credit for always updating firmware to maximize whatever their hardware can do instead of like canon who always turns off features and cripples hardware. and i say this as a long time canon user, so don't go on about how i should get back to my nikons.

Steven Veteran Member • Posts: 4,421
Go back to Nikon

If you what lots of noise Nikon is the way to go.
--
Steve

Steven's gear list:Steven's gear list
Nikon D7100
OP 4-8-4-Northern Regular Member • Posts: 359
This is My Point Also

bronxbombers wrote:

so what?
there is a lot of functionality that canon coul dhave added at
various is so what. have to give nikon credit for always updating
firmware to maximize whatever their hardware can do instead of like
canon who always turns off features and cripples hardware. and i
say this as a long time canon user, so don't go on about how i
should get back to my nikons.

Canon would never even THINK of adding this kind of funcionality through a firmware update. And yes, they're much more likely to dumb down and cripple cameras than any other manufacturer. I'm also a longtime Canon user, and I find it very frustrating.

Alex Avery New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Hidden Updates

You'd think that if they tweaked, added, fixed and so on then they'd make a song and dance about it, wouldn't you?

I mean... the whole idea is to show people what a performance increase/stability increase or whatever else they can get by installing this firmware update. If they don't list half the changes or improvements then they're selling themselves short.

30DWinchy Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Go back to Nikon

Steven wrote:

If you what lots of noise Nikon is the way to go.
--
Steve

ROFLMAO...

-- hide signature --

//inchy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads