Help me choose (1 out of 5p) please

Started Oct 6, 2006 | Discussions
nuudles Regular Member • Posts: 252
Help me choose (1 out of 5p) please

Hi there guys, I am very new to photography and even newer to DSLR's (I only got my D50 2 weeks ago and we are having midterms - so not too much time for taking photos:( )

Anyways, I want to make a print of one of the following, can you please help me choose - or if they are all horrible please tell me to rather save my money and time, nothing large - just a 5x7 or maybe a 8x10!

The first one I took on my first day with the camera, I pp'd it a bit in Adobe Lightroom - very nifty program!

The second one I took on one of my study breaks, I like the colors and the sensation of speed - I know I could have panned better, but I think having a bit of motion blur on the car adds something to the photo?!

The third one was taken today - I know it is nothing new, and I know some of the colors are a bit blown (I over pp'd it, the original is not blown), but do you like the feel of the photo (I will obviously not pp the one I am going to print so much)

The fourth one was also taken today - Do you find the pots in the right hand top corner distracting? I can blur them out, I have also thought of cropping them out, but the photo loses some of its feel somehow?!

The last one was also taken today - It could maybe be a bit sharper, or I could straighten it, but my girlfriend(art student) says she likes it this way - a bit of shabby sheek (but she has astigmatism - so maybe not) Maybe it is a bit underexposed too?

Thank you for helping out!

Johannes

den did Regular Member • Posts: 139
????

Why not just print the one/ones you like best-why do we have to pick?

OP nuudles Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: ????

because I ask nicely...

Stephen Best Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Help me choose (1 out of 5p) please

I don't normally comment of images posted here, but the first shot is nice. It needs a little work dodging the subject (bee) though. Get yourself a copy of Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) and learn how to do this. The other images are pretty forgettable I'm afraid. Developing an eye for what works is harder than mastering the camera but it looks like you've made a great start.

morris Forum Pro • Posts: 74,668

to me only the first is worth printing and I'd crop off that bright part on the right and some of the top.

Morris
--

http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/~morris/POD

Mark53 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,583
Well...

morris wrote:

to me only the first is worth printing and I'd crop off that bright
part on the right and some of the top.

The two blurred blossoms under the bright area add some interest, IMO -- I like that shot with its diagonal lines.

1. 2 is kind of cool, the color and blur -- go ahead and print 2!!

garyking Veteran Member • Posts: 4,083
No question - #1 - very nice and frameable. (nt)
-- hide signature --

'I'm not as smart today as I will be tomorrow.'

ccbrowning Regular Member • Posts: 180
  1. 1 is my favourite. It'd be even nicer if it were a bee and not that fly that imitates them. But still very very nice imho.

Thank you guys for your help!!

Yep, taking good photos is harder than I imagined, but I am loving it!!

Go well!

Johannes

howy_2005 Regular Member • Posts: 261

i'm a college student going through midterms and have just recently gotten a d50 and am new in the dslr world too!!!

stinks doesnt it? (the whole being too busy to take great pictures of the fall colors thing...)

Have Fun - - Be Safe

printed

thank you guys!!

I decided to print the first and second photos, they look great (I am not bragging, I am just saying I love the results)

I also printed the last one(for my girlfriend) because prints are so cheap here, it costs me close to $2,25 for a 8x12inch print at a nearby Fuji shop (in Stellenbosch - South Afirca), got them mounted(d.i.y. - easyish) and loving it, the photography bug bit me PROPERLY!

Have a blast!

wijnands Veteran Member • Posts: 7,814
Re: printed

Missed this thread the first time. Was going to say that despite some techincal shortfalls the shot of the mini is nice as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads