Who here would NOT purchase the 400D, and Why?

Started Sep 22, 2006 | Discussions
tomiboi Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Re: Who here would NOT purchase the 400D, and Why?

snapware wrote:

Who here would NOT purchase the 400D, and Why?

my money will go to better glass. till then I don't want to hear about upgrading the body.
best regards
tom

Canoneyesed Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: NEVER buy anything that is not tested long enough!

Cihangir Gzey wrote:

... My philosophy:Never buy something newly released. There will always
be a bug to upset you. Because that thing is human made and ALL
human beings do mistake by nature. Only GOD is perfect!

If GOD is perfect, and GOD created you, then why aren't you perfect?

Sorry I'm in a philosophical mood. To keep it on topic, as far as the 400D is concerned, I'm leaning towards getting one but waiting a bit more to save up for a nice lens to go with it. It will be my 1st DSLR.

jensen
jensen Regular Member • Posts: 221
No, because 300D still gives me great pictures.. (nt)
-- hide signature --
 jensen's gear list:jensen's gear list
Leica M9 +1 more
zeta44 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Would wait for Pentax K10D + 16-50 2.8ED

I just enquired about the price of Canon 18-55 2.8IS.
The price I got just doused cold water on me.
Also no Nikon D80 for me - it's a full 400$ Canuck dollars over the 400D, nut !

zeta44 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Would wait for Pentax K10D + 16-50 2.8ED

Sorry 17-55 IS.

Anthony de Vries Veteran Member • Posts: 3,789
Re: I Would not

Sosua wrote:

But mainly - your camera has no effect on the actual quality of
your photos - The 300D even, is better than 90% of users could
extract anyway...

That's just nonsense. 6MP or 10MP makes a such difference to the image quality. And image quality contributes A LOT to the overal quality of the pictures.

Things like better and faster AF will also do a lot for getting better quality of shallow-DoF shots.

If the camera didn't matter... then why are you yourself waiting for a replacement of the 30D????

Vito Corleone Forum Member • Posts: 89

I still like my 1 year old Canon 350D. Probably will get the next or next next model. Canon 500D after 450D?

-- hide signature --
HappySnappy Senior Member • Posts: 2,530
Re: Oh really...Re: Raw and Pentax K10D

stratuss wrote:

Re: Forgetting the above for a minute...
Why do you use RAW, HappySnappy?

For the extra shadow gradients / dynamic range, more control over colour, selective sharpening, exposure correction.

-- hide signature --

Sure I've got a photographic memory...... just needs developing!

spider Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: NEVER buy anything that is not tested long enough!

Because He gave us the freedom to choose.

Canoneyesed wrote:

If GOD is perfect, and GOD created you, then why aren't you perfect?

spider Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: I agree

Me too. Maybe.

stratuss wrote:

Glass investment is what's keeping me from
switching and trying others.

Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994
I was going to wait.......until Phils review...BUT

I took the leap after viewing some of the awesome images, along with the AF - couldn't resist.

I wasn't sure I'd like the LCD without the monochrome LCD on the top. I LOVE the LCD - it's really awesome and don't miss it on the top.

I'm very happy with the IQ, love the feel, and everything about this camera. I'm soooooo glad I got it.

Maria
--

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
ellover009 Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Almost got XTI

I almost got the xti, I went to the store, things that put me off are, the sensor that shut off lcd, lcd should only turn on for menus and picture preview, second screen is gone. It's small and screams look at me I'm plastic and has a cheap feel, Only uses CF, if you bend the pins you screwed.

I also looked at the D80 as an alternative, it's the dimentions of a D50 wich I think is still too small including the grip (I have long fingers), The viewfinder was amazing, it's same size as D200. I would love if canon rolled out with a 18-200IS lens I feel there is no in between, I find nikon offers a more affortable starting range, then when you need distance and speed canon kicks in.

What won me over with the D80 was the viewfinder (huge) otherwise I would have gotten an XTI, still doing research on wich to get because the body is only partial of the initial investements, you gotta go with the company that offers accessories according to your needs lenses, flashes ect. Hopefully canon offer soon a 40D (30D was a 20D with a bigger lcd) or at least OFFER and intro level consumer camera that doesen't feel like it will fall appart, canon needs to fill in the gap. make the 40D higher end offer some new things and then offer a different model to fill in the gap. Honestly to me anything smaller than a 20D, D70 feels a little on the small side for me. I am leaning towards a D80 or the 40D (if it comes out soon).

ellover009's gear list:ellover009's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Pentax K-1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6
Rowbear Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
No, because 350D still gives me great pictures.. (nt)
-- hide signature --
 Rowbear's gear list:Rowbear's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +7 more
El Rondo Regular Member • Posts: 129
Nope... waiting for a paradigm shift.

I know I'm dreaming but...

I had this very same conversation with friends over lunch. The only true performance enhancement we saw was the RAW burst (but I can live with JPEG when I need speed).

I'm waiting for MAJOR changes such as:

In-body IS
Live LCD preview
An even more sensitive sensor
Full-motion video
Swivel-and-tilt LCD

Continuous full-res shooting (shoot 10 seconds @ 30fps and choose the best frame).

Most of these don't exist yet in an SLR, but We've seen these in one form or another in prototypes / other types of cameras, etc.

What I'm saying is that digital technologies strive at first to match their analog counterparts. We can safely say that we've reached that part now with SLRs. What follows is usually the real revolution. Technology goes beyond the scope of what was possible with traditional means. Just look at Desktop publishing, digital audio (midi, sampling, post-production), movie special effects. Digital technology imitates traditional analog technology at first so that its users don't feel disoriented. Once the technology is widely accepted, then the manufacturers start pushing the envelope. Cameras 10 years from now won't have anything to do with the tools we know now.

Sure the 400D has some nifty features. Fut I can frankly say that I won't ever say "this 350D shot would have been better if shot with a 400D". It just provides added convenience. At least for my kind of picture-taking.

Just my 2 cents.

Phil

-- hide signature --

http://patenteux.com
Check out my desktop wallpaper and time-lapse galleries!

david_g Senior Member • Posts: 1,527
waiting waiting

There's a lifetime of lessons left in my 350D... but for me, something more robust w/accurate AF and weatherproofing (rain is not my friend) is really needed. Hoping Canon comes out with something soon. The xti apparently has better AF, but comes across overall as representing small improvements using old technology.

Thinking there are major tech advances (digic 3) w/ much greater dyanamic range. eye controlled focus and why not...maybe ISO in viewfinder just around the corner...and will hold breath for these.

I hadn't heared of the new Pentax release until this thread...the specs sound quite impressive. Hope it puts some pressure on Canon.
--

-- hide signature --

My Japan Gallery http://www.pbase.com/japanese__wanderings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Kircher Veteran Member • Posts: 3,451
To small and will wait for a 30D replacement (nt)
-- hide signature --

Rob Kircher
My Stuff: http://www.pbase.com/rkircher

JKGrantham Regular Member • Posts: 273

I have a 350XT. When I purchased I was just starting into digital photography. My thoughts were get a less expensive camera and get better lens. If I want to upgrade later then I wouldn't feel put out by my camera cost. In buying anything digital you can expect to be outdated rather quicky. Who out there bought a plasma screen TV a couple of years ago. What has its retail price done? So it will be with cameras. Do you want to spend the cash to go through each upgrade or wait a generation or two. Maybe even move up a grade. My thoughts are skip a little and maybe upgrade next round. Maybe 40D?

PlainBoy
PlainBoy Contributing Member • Posts: 825
There are 30D features I want, will wait to see if 40D is released though. [nt]
-- hide signature --
 PlainBoy's gear list:PlainBoy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +6 more
trojkat Forum Member • Posts: 68

In fact I started my adventure with DSLR's in May. The main reason for me to not buy 350D was the very poor quality of the kit lens. Moreover I felt that Canon's selection of reasonably priced kit'like lenses is quite poor. It seems that Canon doesnt's have very clear idea what to do with EF-S lenses, probably they don't want to kill they FF sales, so they do not invest too much in the croped segment. Other reason was Nikon's superb flash system, of course it depends on the style of shooting, but I use my flash in wireless mode quite often.

The same applies to 400D. In short, there are better choices.

Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200

I love the way people pontificate about the 350/400D, especially when they do not own one. The kit lens is not very poor quality. Stopped down, in the right hands, it can produce very good results. I have several albums full of A4 size prints to prove it.

Admittedly the 400D shines when used with L grade lenses, but that probably applies to any dSLR with a 10MP sensor.

Where did you glean that Canon doesn't have a very clear idea what to do with EF-S lenses? How do you explain the release of the expensive 17-55 F2.8 IS?

As for better other brand choices, no doubt you can speak without authority about those as well.

trojkat wrote:

In fact I started my adventure with DSLR's in May. The main reason
for me to not buy 350D was the very poor quality of the kit lens.
Moreover I felt that Canon's selection of reasonably priced
kit'like lenses is quite poor. It seems that Canon doesnt's have
very clear idea what to do with EF-S lenses, probably they don't
want to kill they FF sales, so they do not invest too much in the
croped segment. Other reason was Nikon's superb flash system, of
course it depends on the style of shooting, but I use my flash in
wireless mode quite often.

The same applies to 400D. In short, there are better choices.

-- hide signature --

Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads