The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Started Sep 18, 2006 | Discussions
donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
The Dell Lottery-I lost!

After weeks of reading posts regarding the Dell 2007WFP Wide Screen monitor I bit the bullet and made my purchase. It arrived today and when I was fitting the base I noticed that the back of the monitor, under the mount, was marked 2007WFPb, which started me wondering.

Bringing up the service Menu I found that it is fitted with a Samsung S-PVA panel, LTM201M1 and not the S-IPS panel I expected.

Although the monitor shows a picture that looks pretty good out of the box and I don’t really have a problem with angles in my normal sitting position, I’m a bit disappointed that all the reading and research didn’t help me get a monitor with a S-IPS panel.

In all my reading I didn't come across anyone who bought the 2007WFP and found it to have a panel other than S-IPS. Did I miss something? Am I the first to report a S-PVA panel in a Dell 2007WFP monitor?

The Dell 2007FP (normal 4x3) monitor was another thing altogether and was listed on a couple of sites as having two types of panel. Most of the posts referred to it when discussing panel types and the “Dell Lottery”. At the time I felt sure that the wide screen 2007WFP was sometimes being confused with the 2007FP when panel swaps were discussed. Now I know better!

I can’t see how I can send the monitor back. It has no pixel or backlight leakage problems, looks pretty good really, and Dell doesn’t specify panel types in their specs.
Guess I’m stuck with it!
Regards, Don.

-- hide signature --

--
donhon

Just Shoot Me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Just how do you get to the service menu?? I can't find that on the main menu screen.

 Just Shoot Me's gear list:Just Shoot Me's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
AK_2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

I thought from my research that all 2007's were NON S-IPS.

The earlier more expensive 2005 I thought had some S-IPS.

Regards,
Kev

OP donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Just how do you get to the service menu?? I can't find that on the
main menu screen

G'day Edward, I got the information from earlier posts, here it is.
I tried both, the first one worked for me.

To enter the service menu

Turn the monitor off, hold down the menu button and the + button at the same time, and while you're holding them down, turn the monitor back on. The monitor will take a second longer to come on. Once on, wait a second and then press the - button and the service menu will pop up.

There should be a line on top saying LPL LM.... for LG S-IPS or SMS LTM... for Samsung S-PVA.

Alternate access to the service menu:

1) Hold menu and '+' buttons (3rd and 5th buttons from left) while powering on the unit.
2) Press menu button (5th button from left) and select "Factory Reset"
3) Select "Factory" at the bottom of the menu.

Hope you have a winning ticket!

Regards, Don.
--
donhon

Just Shoot Me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Mine says LPL WSXGA LM201W01. So I guess I got the good screen. I have no problems with it at all. I did a search for that number and all I came up with are forum sites like this that were discussing it but no clear cut amswer at what panel my number relates to. One post was about that number being the older panels but I don't see any blurry text.

 Just Shoot Me's gear list:Just Shoot Me's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
OP donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

AK_2 wrote:

I thought from my research that all 2007's were NON S-IPS.

The earlier more expensive 2005 I thought had some S-IPS.

Regards,
Kev

Hi Kev.

This site shows the 2007WFP as having a S-IPS panel. At least one other user has reported having a S-IPS panel. Remember there's a difference between 2007FP (4x3) and the 2007WFP.

http://aryarya.net/wassyoi/lcdmemo.html

Regards, Don.
--
donhon

OP donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Mine says LPL WSXGA LM201W01. So I guess I got the good screen. I
have no problems with it at all. I did a search for that number and
all I came up with are forum sites like this that were discussing
it but no clear cut amswer at what panel my number relates to. One
post was about that number being the older panels but I don't see
any blurry text.

G'day Edward.
Congratulations! You won your lottery!

I'm not too unhappy with my screen. It looks sharp and it calibrated OK with my MonacoXR. I'd like to have won the S-IPS but this screen probably has greater capabilities for colour work than I have. It'll have some use over the next few days so we'll see what happens.

Regards, Don.
--
donhon

tominrom Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Thats exactly the same as mine. Thanks for letting me know how to access it.

OP donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

tominrom wrote:

Thats exactly the same as mine. Thanks for letting me know how to
access it.

G'day tominrom. Do you mean that your screen is S-PVA or S-IPS?
Regards, Don.
--
donhon

tominrom Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

We posted at almost the same time. I have the LPL WSXGA LM201W01.

kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,373
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Awwww, that's a bummer. Well PVA is still a very good technology for photo editing, though various people claim S-IPS is better. Still, I know how you must feel. This panel lottery business is really lame.

If you do want to get rid of your Dell you can certainly try calling and being very insistant (can I talk to your supervisor and so on and so forth). If you don't get satisfaction just try 10 hours later on a different shift. It won't cost you anything to try.

Otherwise, just start enjoying your new monitor!

Oh, and do the rest of the world a favor and post your discovery to:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1745344&enterthread=y

That is a very uptodate buyers guide and it'll keep others from rediscovering the wheel as it were...
--
Ken W
Rebel XT, Fuji F30, and a whole lot of 35mm and 4x5 sitting in the closet...

 kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

I just recieved this monitor from Dell last Thursday. I have no idea which LCD technology it uses.

One thing I note is that when at viewing angle extremes, black areas take on a reddish/brownish color.
Al

 noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Mike G. Senior Member • Posts: 1,276
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

Thanks for the information about the service menu. I just check and my 2007 wfp is ISP. It was purchasesd from Costco and shippied by Dell about 6 weeks ago. Hope you can get Dell to exchange yours.

Mike G.

PictureLake Regular Member • Posts: 217
Don't try this on other models!

donhon wrote:

Edward Chatlos wrote:

Just how do you get to the service menu?? I can't find that on the
main menu screen

G'day Edward, I got the information from earlier posts, here it is.
I tried both, the first one worked for me.

To enter the service menu
Turn the monitor off, hold down the menu button and the + button at
the same time, and while you're holding them down, turn the monitor
back on. The monitor will take a second longer to come on. Once on,
wait a second and then press the - button and the service menu will
pop up.

Some stupid people, like yours truly, might actually try this on other Dell models.

Not recommended. I can tell you that on my wife's 1905FP (I think that's the right model #), this causes the display to go into a test mode in which it cycles full screen colors (white, black, red, green, blue, yellow, etc).

I've yet to figure out how to get it out of this test mode! Nothing seems to work.

Amazing how stupid some people can be!

Ken

 PictureLake's gear list:PictureLake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Just Shoot Me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: Don't try this on other models!

Have you tried that same button combo to stop it. There must be a way to get it out of that test mode. If all else fails call Dell Tech Support. If it's still in warranty they will help you for no charge.

 Just Shoot Me's gear list:Just Shoot Me's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
PictureLake Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Don't try this on other models!

Thanks, Edward. I did finally figure it out after about 15 minutes!

Turns out the secret combo is power off, press "menu" and "-" at the same time, hear a click. That's it.

Ha! That'll teach me.

Ken

 PictureLake's gear list:PictureLake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
OP donhon Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: The Dell Lottery-I lost!

kenw wrote:

Awwww, that's a bummer. Well PVA is still a very good technology
for photo editing, though various people claim S-IPS is better.
Still, I know how you must feel. This panel lottery business is
really lame.

If you do want to get rid of your Dell you can certainly try
calling and being very insistant (can I talk to your supervisor and
so on and so forth). If you don't get satisfaction just try 10
hours later on a different shift. It won't cost you anything to
try.

Otherwise, just start enjoying your new monitor!

Oh, and do the rest of the world a favor and post your discovery to:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1745344&enterthread=y

That is a very uptodate buyers guide and it'll keep others from
rediscovering the wheel as it were...
--
Ken W

Hi kenw.

I just looked at that site for the very first time and it already lists both S-IPS and S-PVA panels for the 2007WFP. If I'd seen it before I certainly wouldn't have ordered the Dell.

You're right though, the monitor looks OK, has no pixel problem and photos come up really well. Over the next week or so I'll check out how closely my prints match the monitor image. If I have to do some profiling that'll keep me too busy to worry about panel types!

I'll take your advice and use and enjoy it. After all, it's only a monitor! Sob, Sob.
Regards, Don.
--
donhon

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
I checked on recently ordered

Last night I checked my new 2007wfp using the service menu. It is an S-IPS.

I ordered from Dell 9/11, it shipped from Patrick, NV on 9/12.

Al

 noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,821
Re: I checked on recently ordered

I recently ran into a thread--don't reall where--in which the participants were lamenting Dell's practice of using whatever LCD panel happended to be available/cheaper on the day the monitors are built. If this is true, then obtaining one with the screen you realy want is indeed a crapshoot.

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
Re: I checked on recently ordered

I think some folks get overly hung up on the technology of the LCD at expense of the results - fueled by technical papers on which technology is better. I've heard report that the 2007 is a fine monitor regardless of LCD type. Also Dell specs the monitor performance (contrast ratio, viewing angle) not how the performance is achieved.

When I unpacked and set up mine last week I was curious what kind it was, but also I didn't want to know as I thought it would influence my perception of what I was seeing.

I did notice that at off angle viewing dark areas of the screen looked red, not black. I had a suspcision that I had the 'inferior' LCD type. But I didn't care as I was happy with the monitor overall (especially at the sub $400 price)

But then I learned from this thread how to check what kind of LCD, I did and was actually quite surprised to find it was the SIPS.
Al

 noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads