K100d vs canon 400d

Started Sep 16, 2006 | Discussions
laudany Regular Member • Posts: 313
K100d vs canon 400d

Hi,

My actual budget beeing around 1,000 CAN$ I actually have two intersting choices :

K100D with 2 lenses (18-55 kit and 50-200 kit)

Rebel XTi (400D) with 18-55 kit lens

I'm wondering if the K100 is my best bet. What are the specs in terms of FPS, power on speed, AF speed, etc... These are my main concerns.

Thanks

Laurent B

dakotapix Senior Member • Posts: 1,013
Re: K100d vs canon 400d

You can look up specs but the Pentax kit lens is better than the Canon kit and the 50-200 is best in class. Plus you get SR in the Pentax.

scooter9999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Image stabilisation = no contest

Had ot on my Panasonic FZ10 - it is a wonder

Scooter

scooter9999's gear list:scooter9999's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Douglas Film Veteran Member • Posts: 5,687

I would go Pentax you get more for your money from Pentax lenses, not to mention in camera SR.
Douglas Film

Dave Lewis Forum Pro • Posts: 10,425

I can only compare the Rebel XT with the Pentax DL. The focus consistency with the Pentax is always better.It isn't as fast but it is more consistently accurate. The shadow noise with the Pentax at ISO 200 is much cleaner than the Rebel XT at 200. Both are the same size and weight and the kit lenses are fairly close. AA batteries seem to be more attractive to most folks, thought the Canon battery is very good. Price is better for the DL if you can find some of them left at the under $500 prices.

I would only buy the Pentax if I were making the choice give my experience with several Canon DSLR's and Pentax DSLR's

laudany wrote:

Hi,

My actual budget beeing around 1,000 CAN$ I actually have two
intersting choices :

I'm wondering if the K100 is my best bet. What are the specs in
terms of FPS, power on speed, AF speed, etc... These are my main
concerns.

Thanks

Laurent B

-- hide signature --

Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis Forum Pro • Posts: 10,425

I simply like the performance and ease of use of the Pentax more than the Canon. Image quality is fairly equal, though the Pentax is a little cleaner and a little livelier right from the camera, both set to neutral.
--
Dave Lewis

jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

Laurent, any chance you can go and try either camera out before buying. I found the handgrip to be better on the Ds and the viewfinder to be better when I made my decision. If you check the C@non forum you will see a gent I think his name is Sarge something and he has been reporting on the XTI since he was one of the first to get it. Some of the pics look pretty good.

The pics in this forum look great as well with the added feature of SR. My choice in C@non would be more of the 30D instead as I like the feel better. (But that is just my opinion)

Irek J Senior Member • Posts: 2,762

If you are obsessed with speed and fency specs then go for Canon. If you're into photography then I might recommend Pentax. Think about all this glass that is waiting for you!
--
Irek J.
London
Canada

OP laudany Regular Member • Posts: 313
Thanks for the replies

I think it's easy to fall into the specs but I really need a good all around camera that will work in different situation and that I will grow with.

There is also one more option :

K10D body only will probably go for around 1000 CAN$.

It's probalby 500$ over my budget. But will it be really worth it in my situation ? I'm not a pro, and I really want versatility, value, quality.

Is the K100D still a good buy today ?

Laurent

wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,280
Re: Thanks for the replies

The K100D is still a good buy today - although it may not be compatible with future SDD lenses - however, realistically, most people only need less than 7 lenses - and I feel that I have enough good ones even with my DS.

Quality and value you'll find plenty in both the K10D and the K100D. Versatility, most likely the K10D has more - do you need them?

For myself, I first found the K10D very attractive, but later on realized, after some thinking, that I really need a weather sealed K100D with an orientation sensor, a pentaprism, and a dust buster - most other K10D features I can imagine I may want sometimes, but not absolute needs (e.g. extra bracketing options)

So, just like any comparison shopping, you just need to compare the specs of both cams and then make your choice depending on how much you want to spend.

Cheers

laudany wrote:

I think it's easy to fall into the specs but I really need a good
all around camera that will work in different situation and that I
will grow with.

There is also one more option :

K10D body only will probably go for around 1000 CAN$.
It's probalby 500$ over my budget. But will it be really worth it
in my situation ? I'm not a pro, and I really want versatility,
value, quality.

Is the K100D still a good buy today ?

Laurent

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +13 more
justin23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: Thanks for the replies

The fact you just said value, means Pentax.

If you really think you need more than 3 fps then maybe not the pentax, but you'll end up paying more for lenses etc, although the 400D is only 3 fps also.

Every dSLR is a good camera, just which one best suits you is more of a personal decision. Try them out if you can.

I think everyone on here though agrees Pentax is the best value dSLR maker right now.

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,219
My thoughts

I used Pentax film SLR cameras for some 25 years. In April 2004 I bought a Canon 300D because the Pentax *istD was simply too expensive. I bought a 2nd 300D. I feel the Canon 300D is good enough for me.

The Canon 400D has some gimmicks like a 10MP sensor and Dust Reduction. Dust is not such a problem I have experienced in the last two years. A 6MP sensor is more than enough.

The Pentax K100D has nearly the same specifications as the Canon 300D, roughly speaking. The SR of the Pentax k100D is an asset at a very low price indeed. Canon has SR in its lenses and call it IS.

If you want IS/SR the Canon 400D + a Canon 17-85mm wil cost some 1300 euros, whereas a Pentax K100D + a Sigma 17-70mm will cost about 850 euros.

The Canon combination does not give value for money and is overpriced or an amateur weekend photographer. I sold one body and am trying to sell a few lenses. I will buy a Pentax K100D and a Sigma 17-70mm.

laudany wrote:

Hi,

My actual budget beeing around 1,000 CAN$ I actually have two
intersting choices :

I'm wondering if the K100 is my best bet. What are the specs in
terms of FPS, power on speed, AF speed, etc... These are my main
concerns.

Thanks

Laurent B

Hythloday's gear list:Hythloday's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
OP laudany Regular Member • Posts: 313
Re: My thoughts

So would you recommend looking at another lens than the 2 kit lenses included in the deal ?

(18-55 and 50-200)

I'm not that familiar with Pentax kit lenses but I understand that they provide better quality that Canon or Nikon kits. This combination would be perfect for me.

chains1240 Senior Member • Posts: 1,478

I tried using a friends Rebel XT over the weekend just to see how I liked it. It felt too small at the camera store and it still feels too small. I do not have large hands but I think I have long fingers. The camera was very cramped in my opinion. The Pentax felt very good in my hands, the Nikon D50 even better. But I feel the Pentax is a much better value than the Nikon. Onboard Image Stabalization, 2.5" LCD and comes with the Raw software.

Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,219

In April 2004 I bought a Canon DR with the kitlens (18-55mm). The kitlens is very limited in its range, so I bought a Sigma 18-125mm. The Sigma 18-125mm has a very nice range indeed, but like the kitlens it is not so fast. So A couple of months later I bought a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX. It is a fast lens but it is also limited in its range. So In March this year I bought the Sigma 17-70mm which I like very much: nice range and not too slow.

Now I plan to sell the Sigma 18-50mm and the Sigma 18-125mm. The Sigma 17-70mm is slightly wider (just 1 mm) but I like that. I don't miss the range 70-125mm.

I don't like changing lenses. The reason for that is that the sensor of your camera will be exposed to catching sensor dust.

laudany wrote:

So would you recommend looking at another lens than the 2 kit
lenses included in the deal ?

(18-55 and 50-200)

I'm not that familiar with Pentax kit lenses but I understand that
they provide better quality that Canon or Nikon kits. This
combination would be perfect for me.

Hythloday's gear list:Hythloday's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Daisuke Jigen Forum Member • Posts: 70

Do u know if exists any real life photo comparison btw this two models ??

What about D50 and K100d comparison ??

Ty.

dsowner Senior Member • Posts: 1,516

50-200mm lens is worth £160 alone here in UK. And you will have SR with K100d, I would prefer SR rather than 10mpix.
--
Fero, London
My blog: http://feronovak.blogspot.com/index.html

Phototk Regular Member • Posts: 136
-- hide signature --

phototk

I have the new Canon XTi and it is great, If the image quality of the Pentax K10D proves to be similar that would be a good choice.

jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

Phototk wrote:

Just about every camera is great for image quality, just need good glass. There are people in this forum that have D50, 10d and 350d that take fabulous pictures so this is a moot point.

Plus if the Xti was as good a my Ds at ISO 1600 then I might be impressed with it : ) (A little humour as I am sure it is)

Ben Rubinstein Forum Member • Posts: 65

Hythloday wrote:

The Canon 400D has some gimmicks like a 10MP sensor and Dust
Reduction.

Brand loyalty is one thing, saying that 10 megapixels compared to 6 is only a 'gimmick' is rather OTT. The OP may only have that sum now but when you buy a camera you buy into a system. What happens when the OP has a birthday and can buy a 2nd hand 17-40L lens for some $400 and the difference in megapixels will become painfully apparent?

There are reasons for going for the pentax but we should not be blind to the difference in resolution to the point of rediculing it.

-- hide signature --

Buy the best first time round, it's far cheaper and better for your sanity in the long run....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads