Response from Canon about G7
-- hide signature --

My message to Canon pre-sales:

I own a Powershot A95 and love the flip-screen, but am feeling the
product's limitations. I eyed the G6 and it's fast f/2 lens and RAW
support and thought about upgrading--but decided to wait for a faster
model. Lo and behold--the G7 is announced. But it's no G-series
camera. It's an A-series camera with a hot shoe. The lack of the flip
screen, f/2 lens, RAW support, and flip-out LCD are all deal killers.

Why can't Canon understand there's room in the market for a serious
camera that is not a DSLR?

--- The response from Canon:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the G7 camera.
We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to
assist you.

Decisions to include or exclude a particular camera feature are made by
our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of
factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer
feedback are all taken in to consideration. Unfortunately, I am unable
to provide you with an exact reason why particular features were not
included for the G7 camera.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your
Canon products.

Rock Lee Senior Member • Posts: 1,515
Life goes on. Photography goes on. (nt)

nt = no text

-- hide signature --

Pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/robotzer0

Comments are welcomed.

PuzzleGal Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
no Response from Canon about G7

LOL. That's no response at all.

PuzzleGal's gear list:PuzzleGal's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX100 IV
nanequate Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: Response from Canon about G7

Somehow I suspect this response gets said alot.

It sure is obvious the designers went with a whole new plan for the G-series. I just can't believe they even kept the series going with this camera the way it is. It should be the start of a new series instead, maybe a H-series-- or F-series (for Foul-up).
--

Tom O'Neil Senior Member • Posts: 2,230

C-series for "Crippled."

nanequate wrote:

Somehow I suspect this response gets said alot.
It sure is obvious the designers went with a whole new plan for the
G-series. I just can't believe they even kept the series going with
this camera the way it is. It should be the start of a new series
instead, maybe a H-series-- or F-series (for Foul-up).
--

Tom O'Neil Senior Member • Posts: 2,230
My comment

I just sent this to Canon. We'll see if I get the same canned "response."

-- hide signature --

I just wanted to say how incredibly disappointed I am in the announcement of the G7 camera. In many significant ways it is inferior to the G6, which I currently own. In particular, I will not purchase a camera that does not have RAW mode. I'm also baffled by the slower lens and lack of a rotating screen. If you are crippling your Powershots to protect your low-end DSLRs, in my opinion it is a short-sighted and idiotic mistake. I currently own a Canon 1D Mark II, and the G6 is a SUPPLEMENT to the DSLR. I also own a Canon S45, and I was disappointed when the successor S80 came out without RAW mode. In the past eight years I have bought seven Canon cameras to the exclusion of all other brands, but I am dismayed by the crippling of your recent Powershot models and will have no choice but to consider other brands when the time comes to replace the G6.

Please stop doing these stupid things. Thank you.

David Hogan Regular Member • Posts: 312

Yeah, no kidding. I had a G2 and loved it. Bought a G3 and liked the faster processer but didn't like the camera as much overall. I didn't think the 4x lens on the G3 was as sharp as the 3x one on the G2. I bought a G6 and liked it well enough but broke it over the summer. I have always missed the wide angle lens of my film days but never went for the Pro 1 because it just didn't feel good in my hands. Now I'm really glad I didn't wait around for the G7. What a crazy move for Canon to make. After starting in digital with the G2, I'll never be able to own a camera without a swivel screen. They're just way too useful. I ended up buying a Sony DSC R1. I hated to get a non-canon but have to say that I have been very happy with my purchase. There's a few nitpicky things that I would change but I have to say that I'm in love with the image quality that I am getting. If you're a serious photographer, but don't want a DSLR for whatever reason(I don't for a lot of reasons), don't write off the R1 because it's a Sony, it might be the camera for you. If you want, check out some of the pictures I've captured with the R1 on my webpage. It doesn't disappoint.

Canon how could you??? You used to make the best non-DSLRs out there!! There's so much I love about canons, If I was going to get a DSLR or if I was going to get a snapshot camera I would definitely go Canon, but as a "Prosumer" they've really let me down.
--
Dave Hogan
http://www.pbase.com/capnsurly

Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
You email probably won't get a response

Tom O'Neil wrote:

I just sent this to Canon. We'll see if I get the same canned
"response."

Too much name-calling like "idiotic" and "stupid". True, what they've done is idiotic and stupid but I doubt if they'll send back even a non-answer like in the original post. But if you do get a reply, please post it!

I'd like to see all the disappointed G fans send Canon an email similar at least in tone to the original (but in your own words). Then post whether you get a reply or not, and what it is if you get one.

I personally don't care about the G series but it's obvious that Canon screwed the pooch with the G7. I've been hoping for a kick-ass Pro2 but if the G7 is any indication, I guess we can all forget about that. But I'm willing to be wrong!

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
panikspace Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: no Response at all

I swear that's the exact email I got from Toyota whe I complained about side airbags not being an option on one of their vehicles - just substitute "car" for "Camera". It's almost insulting - I think I'd rather get no reply at all than a canned response like this.

Andrew.

Paul Guy Regular Member • Posts: 445
lost hopes

Tom K. wrote:

Canon screwed the pooch with the G7.

yep, not interested in a G serie but I surely won't in the future!

I've been hoping for a
kick-ass Pro2 but if the G7 is any indication, I guess we can all
forget about that.

my guess is they're preparing a competitor to the Sony R1 with an APS-C sensor. That would be a killer complement to a DSLR for those places where mirror sound is too intrusive or even forbidden by the preacher during a wedding...
That would be the Pro-2.

But yes, indeed, Canon is missing a lot of boats these days... first the tasteless 30D (I own one), then the fixed-LCD G7, the A620 (I own one) successor that's not stabilized... all those digicams with 36mm "wideangle" etc...

' I'm french and I'm rude. Surprised? '

Koosla Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
Re: You email probably won't get a response

Tom K. wrote:

I'd like to see all the disappointed G fans send Canon an email
similar at least in tone to the original (but in your own words).
Then post whether you get a reply or not, and what it is if you get
one.

And I intend to do that, sans the name calling of course (despite lack of English skills, I know how to be blunt without being rude). But I haven't found the appropriate e-mail direction to send a message of this nature. Would anybody be so kind as to guide me?

Koosla Senior Member • Posts: 1,105

jpstanley wrote:

RAW being of course not demanded in a PROsumer camera.

[Snip]... technological limitations...[Snip]

RAW of course being quite the novelty.

[Snip]... customer feedback...[Snip]

DPReview forums being of course no relevant sample of the (short of massive) disappointment with the G7's crippled feature set.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads