Fun with photography again - D80

Started Sep 14, 2006 | Discussions
Brent DeShazer Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Fun with photography again - D80

If anyone cares, a bit of a story and a few photos....

After being a Canon DSLR shoot for many years, having gone through the D30, 1D and 5D, I got fed up with it all and gave up photography completely for a while. I got tired of spending hours on post-processing (I only shot RAW of course), constantly looking for the next great lens (I owned everything from the 15mm fisheye to the 500mmf4is) or accessory (CF tripods, studio lights, filters, software, etc., etc.) and it just wasn't fun any more. So I sold $18k worth of equipment and told myself I'd just get a point-and-shoot for stuff here and there and not worry about it. (Final straw was the 5D I bought for the resolution but which couldn't focus-track in servo mode worth a dang, and I wasn't about to plunk down $8K for a 1DSII!)

Trouble is, it is VERY difficult to go back to any kind of p-n-s after using a DSLR. Shutter lag, burst, DOF, etc... I couldn't find anything I liked. I thought about a digital rebel, but if I wasn't happy with a 5D...? And of course I'd need lenses again...

Then one of the security guards at work who was a Nikon shooter that I chatted with on occasion asked me if I'd seen the previews on the new D80, so I went out and checked it out online, and liked all the specs, price, kit lens range, etc. and figured I'd give it a shot. It took me four days of convincing myself to go ahead and pick one up at the local Best Buy (got the last one) and a Brand-x (PNY, I think?) 2GB card.

Before I did, though, I made myself a few promises - NO additional photography purchases for at LEAST a year, JPEG shooting only and NO thoughts of turning "pro", selling photos, etc. (I have a good-paying job in IT and a family to support)

After one day, so far, so good 364 to go...

As for the D80 and kit lens, I'm loving it. Ergonomics and controls are a lot easier to use, high-ISO performance is great (LOVING auto-ISO!), and the d@ng AF can actually track my dog running across the yard (no 1D of course but once I got things tweaked after figuring out some of Nikons terminology in the manual and trying a few different combinations, it works!)

Is the kit lens perfect? No, of course not, but it is "good enough". It can produce quite-sharp photos with proper technique and has a good range, and focuses quickly enough for most uses.

So if pixel-peeping, worrying about hot pixels, what other vendors are bringing out, whether the kit lens is sharp, trying to keep up with "The Joneses" (pros and lens collectors), etc. are what you want to spend your time on and that makes you happy, by all means keep at it. Eventually you'll probably burn out like I did and realize that you're not having fun any more. Actually, even when I had my 1D and 5D I'd lurk in the 300/350D forum because in general those were the people still having fun with their hobby.

To wrap up my little essay here, a few photos with the D80 and kit lens, shot in JPEG with sharpening +1, ISO 800, f 5.6 @ 135mm and either 1/80 or 1/125 second (shot manual mode). Reduced for the web. All shots are quite sharp full-sized except for the last one which shows a slight amount of camera shake because it was 1/80 @ 135mm and I was in quite an awkward position when taking it and couldn't brace myself appropriately. A lot of people might not even notice it, but sharpness is one thing I'm still an@l about I couldn't believe these were ISO 800 (I was on auto-ISO with minimum of 100 and max of 800).

FYI, this is the largest of four frogs that have made their home in a small pond ( 1400 gallons) I built next to our front door this summer. It let me get quite close to him, these are all full-frame, no cropping.

Thanks for listening, all comments appreciated. If anyone needs to see the full-size images let me know and I can post them or send them to you.

Have fun,

-- hide signature --
OP Brent DeShazer Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Re: Fun with photography again - D80

Not sure why photos not showing up, they looked fine in the message preview. I haven't posted in months, maybe somethings changed? See if the old add-a-semicolon trick works:

http://www.chimpers.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0051-small.jpg

http://www.chimpers.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0069-small.jpg

http://www.chimpers.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0081-small.jpg

http://www.chimpers.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0097-small.jpg

-- hide signature --
AlbieSky Veteran Member • Posts: 3,338
"Forbidden"..no image (nt)
-- hide signature --

D 8 0, D 7 0, 1 8 - 7 0, 5 0 f 1.4, 1 0 5 mm V R,
S B 6 0 0, 1 8 - 2 0 0 V R, N V, N C, P S E 4

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Economy_rice Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: "Forbidden"..no image (nt)
RIVERFOOT Veteran Member • Posts: 5,285
Re: "Forbidden"..no image (nt)

I saw them all. WOW!!! Well done!
--
CJ N SC
Good times are measured on a watch with no hands.

novetan Senior Member • Posts: 1,578

Are you one of those golfers believing that a set of expensive golf club will buy its score? Ok joke aside, with due respect, are you buying equipment hoping that photography will become a fun thing again?

My history. I was into photography for almost 20 years started off with Nikon FE2. Won quite a few prizes. Then became interested in golf and all of a sudden my interest in photography took a dip. But didn't sell off equipment. Here and there, I still take some nice pictures during occassions. Then bought an idiot Casio EX-Z3 3.2 MP and owned it for almost 5 years. As my intested is still golfing, didn't want to upgrade because the digi cam is starting on an acceleration and I knew the model and technology will keep changing. I still won some prizes with the idiot Casio. Recently just purchase a panasonic FZ50 as I feel its quite "safe" to get a good one now and also my interest is return.

My point is your interest has to be above the hardware, regardless how sophiticated the camera can be. My Casio has served me well with a few prizes because of my interest, of course also I think I'm a good photographer

Cheers

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Nice story, Brent ...

... it's proof that every model of DSLR out there appeals to the consumers in different ways.

Good to hear you've discovered that the D80 suits you nicely. Your story linked at :> http://www.nikond80links.com/nikon-d80-user-impressions/ (#10)

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Regards, David Chin
(D.7.0. & C.P.4.5.0.0.)

Nikon D80 Links:
http://www.nikond80links.com
http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/nikon_d80_sneak_pictures

Links to all my other sites:
http://www.flickr.com/people/davidchinphoto

Wow, hopefully third time is a charm for the photos. Sorry everyone, evidently that web-host disallowed hot-linking so I put the images up on an alternate server for anyone who didn't figure out how to view the originals:

Brent

-- hide signature --
MarvC
MarvC Senior Member • Posts: 1,678

What kit lens did you get?
Very nice photos..:)

Thanks,
MarvC

MarvC's gear list:MarvC's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 70-200 F2.8 DG OS HSM Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4

novetan wrote:

Are you one of those golfers believing that a set of expensive golf
club will buy its score? Ok joke aside, with due respect, are you
buying equipment hoping that photography will become a fun thing
again?

Well, I'm not a golfer, but I get your analogy and that's who I WAS. The point of the story is that I'm now buying just a basic DSLR and a single lens (the kit lens) and I'm not going to take things so seriously. When I was really enjoying photography as a hobby was back when I had my early equipment like the Canon Pro90is point-and-shoot and when I got my first DSLR, the D30 and the poorly-rated 70-300is lens which I had a blast with.

My point is your interest has to be above the hardware, regardless
how sophiticated the camera can be. My Casio has served me well
with a few prizes because of my interest, of course also I think
I'm a good photographer

Cheers

Congratulations on your success and enjoyment. I looked at the FZ50 myself (along with several other super-zoom point-and-shoots like the Canon S3is) but decided it wasn't for me. It sounds like you knew from the beginning what it took me several years and a lot of $$$ to figure out. My post was intended to hopefully steer others towards your path and away from the expensive one that I took Also to let Canon die-hards know that it's ok to go to "the dark side"

Thanks for the reply!

-- hide signature --

I got the 18-135, I didn't realize there were kits with other lenses. This is a very nice range and was one of the factors that made me look at the Nikon in the first place, since most of the Canon d-rebels come with their 18-55 which was too short for what I like to shoot.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --
Images fixed and full-size

I fixed the embedded images (uploaded to a different server) and posted a couple of the full-sized shots as well (linked but not embedded below):

Full-sized, straight out of the camera:

http://www.deshazerstudios.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0069.JPG

http://www.deshazerstudios.com/misc/D80frog/DSC_0097.JPG

-- hide signature --
Tuukka Contributing Member • Posts: 943
Really nice frogs you have there.

Can you take a photo of one leaping? I always wondered if it's possible.
Thanks for sharing.

btw: nice ISO 800 performance on these.

-T

-- hide signature --

lsdec Forum Member • Posts: 53
Fishy story

Nice story but it sure seems far fetched. You sold $18k worth of equipment because you were frustrated with the equipment that happens to be Canon and you are posting on a Nikon forum? hmmm..

I gave up on cars because my Ferrari kept breaking down. But now that I have a Honda now, I'm back driving again.

Kobus66 Contributing Member • Posts: 951
Re: Fishy story

Damn, but people are someties sceptical.

Kobus

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,548
And rude

nothing else

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more

lsdec wrote:

Nice story but it sure seems far fetched. You sold $18k worth of
equipment because you were frustrated with the equipment that
happens to be Canon and you are posting on a Nikon forum? hmmm..

No, I sold the equipment because I was tired of getting caught up in the race to purchase the latest [insert accessory or lense here]. My 5D frustrations were a minor contributing factor, I mentioned them only because I was much more pleased with the D80 AF performance.

I gave up on cars because my Ferrari kept breaking down. But now
that I have a Honda now, I'm back driving again.

You can check my history on the Fred Miranda Buy & Sell forum for yourself, my nick there is "bdeshazer".

-- hide signature --
dirtee1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

lsdec wrote:

I gave up on cars because my Ferrari kept breaking down. But now
that I have a Honda now, I'm back driving again.

Canon is to Nikon what Ferrari is to Honda? Now thats a fishy comparison.

-- hide signature --

'Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.' - A friend

great story

I really appreciate your story. I feel a lot like this sometimes. I still can't seem to bring myself to NOT shoot RAW. I get the guilts everytime I try. I guess it's because I'm not so great a photographer and shooting RAW gives me a chance 'fix' an exposure problem after the fact.

Maybe I'll be brave and switch to JPEG this weekend and just go for it!!

Thanks for you story - those photos are really nice and sharp!
--

kober Contributing Member • Posts: 816
and insulting

to boot
--

Nikon D70, Nikon D70s, Nikkor 18-70DX, Nikkor 50 1.8D, Nikkor 18-200 DX VR, SIGMA 70-300 APO, KENKO 12,20&36, Nikon SB-800, 2 Nikon SB-50DX's

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads