SLR camera Armor - how water resistant?

Started Sep 11, 2006 | Discussions
wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,729
SLR camera Armor - how water resistant?

From LetsGoDigital website:

SLR Camera Armor : Made will be launching two lines of Products at Photokina this year. The first, Camera Armor, is a line of elastomeric cases for digital SLR cameras that keep cameras fully protected and instantly ready for action, with access to all features of the digital camera right out of the case. Also included under the Camera Armor umbrella are the Palm Strap and Ergonomic Shoulder Strap products. Both are engineered from stainless steel and neoprene to provide comfort and security for digital photographers who travel to wild places and want to protect their investment wherever they go. Made uses rugged, tear and abrasion resistant silicon compounds to provide durable protection with distinctive styling.

Anyone got any more info on the product?

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
CharlieDIY
CharlieDIY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Re: SLR camera Armor - how water resistant?

wolfie wrote:

SLR Camera Armor : Made will be launching two lines of Products at
Photokina this year. The first, Camera Armor, is a line of
elastomeric cases for digital SLR cameras that keep cameras fully
protected and instantly ready for action, with access to all
features of the digital camera right out of the case. Also included
under the Camera Armor umbrella are the Palm Strap and Ergonomic
Shoulder Strap products. Both are engineered from stainless steel
and neoprene to provide comfort and security for digital
photographers who travel to wild places and want to protect their
investment wherever they go. Made uses rugged, tear and abrasion
resistant silicon compounds to provide durable protection with
distinctive styling.

Never heard of the company, or the products and that company name is one of the stupidest I've ever seen, especially when it comes time to do any kind of digital search.

Good luck in your search.
--
Charlie Self
http://www.charlieselfonline.com

Jack knox Contributing Member • Posts: 875

wolfie wrote:

A closer look at the pctures seems to indicate no water resistance whatsoever. The product stand out as rather rudimentary with a certain roughness in the finish. Could be made from cheap, regenerated plastic?

Could be useful in tough environments like constuction sites?

A Google-search on the product and the company led to nothing.

BluezChild New Member • Posts: 8

Have a look here...

http://www.camerarmor.com/media_video.html
--
cheers

BrunoS Contributing Member • Posts: 928

Maybe it willl be useful to all those photojornalists in Iraq...

it seems to be as water resistant as your camera.

BrunoS's gear list:BrunoS's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +1 more
Fred Klaiss Senior Member • Posts: 1,919

Nowhere in the Camera Armor advertising or specifications do it claim to be water reistant. Appears to offer shock and ding protection.

tootal2 Regular Member • Posts: 132

The pentax k10D is water resistant. You can use it in the rain if you wanted to. It also keeps dust out of the camera.

-- hide signature --
cameraarmorguy New Member • Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

I am the development guy who is resposible for the product line and I thought I'd jump in.

The comment about Camera Armor being about as water resistant as your camera is dead on. We don't seal the memory card and battery ports, because we figured access was more important.

We could seal these, or "weatherize" them with removable covers that had gaskets that pressed closed. Would that be interesting, or would you consider it a waste of time?

Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated as we are a young company (7 months old) and we need all the advice we can get.

Thanks!

Erik Pettersson New Member • Posts: 1

I could see a market for water/dust resistant camera armor. I think there are several people including me who are concerned about moist and light showers and who would appreciate a product similar to that of camera armor but that had tight seals yet fairly accessible for main operations such as CF and battery compartment.

erik

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,181
I've seen it

When in Hong Kong I saw it for Nikons. Looked nice I thought. It's made of silicon rubber, which of course has a unique feel and look. Very "sticky" to hold, which is a good thing - should be non-slip. Wouldn't add any water protection. I'd consider getting it for hiking, rock scrambling, etc. - should protect against normal bumps and hits that would otherwise scratch and dent the body. The camera looked nice with the armor on.

If they had carried it for my Canon I would have brought it - really not that much money, even if it isn't perfect.

Dilbert Contributing Member • Posts: 516
There is a definite market

Especially if the price is right. Something that would allow you to take the camera out in the rain without worry of water damage.
--
http://dilbert.smugmug.com

Canon 30d

Ken

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400
Re: There is a definite market

We carry the Nikon D80 Body Armor at our store . . . have had them since before Christmas!

All I have to say is this . . .

We haven't sold a single one of them.

-- hide signature --

J. M. Daniels
Denver, Colorado
Panasonic FZ10, FZ50 & Fuji S602Z owner & operator

Remember . . . always keep the box and everything that came in it!

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,274
The Canon ones are on Amazon. (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
TonyNC Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: There is a definite market

Ditto on the "haven't sold a single one."

That being said, as an outdoor/landscape/waterfall shooter, I'd love to have a similiar product IF it gave me full protection - not submersible, simple weather resistant. Seal up the card slot, but make it easier to remove the case when time to change batteries and cards and you might have a winner.

Greenville Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
There is no Photokina this year

wolfie wrote:

SLR Camera Armor : Made will be launching two lines of Products at
Photokina this year.

Unless this is old and is from last year then the story is strange. My understanding is that Photokina happens every other year, the next one will be in 2008.

The first, Camera Armor, is a line of

elastomeric cases for digital SLR cameras that keep cameras fully
protected and instantly ready for action, with access to all
features of the digital camera right out of the case. Also included
under the Camera Armor umbrella are the Palm Strap and Ergonomic
Shoulder Strap products. Both are engineered from stainless steel
and neoprene to provide comfort and security for digital
photographers who travel to wild places and want to protect their
investment wherever they go. Made uses rugged, tear and abrasion
resistant silicon compounds to provide durable protection with
distinctive styling.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Re: weather proof camera armor

Re: water resistant version of Camera Armor. We are spending a fair amount of development time on this one right now. Like with the earlier version, the battery grip provides a big challenge for us, because some people use them, some don't, and the form factor changes pretty dramatically when they are attached.

Do you guys think we would need to make the camera+grip rain-proof (cringe--big expensive tool) or do you think we could get by with rainwear for the camera alone? Also, do you think we need a weather proof offering for the lens, and if so, what size lenses? (I think we have a plan for the small and medium size guys, but how big do we need to go?)

Any input you can give would be a huge help! (And by all means, if there is anything we can do to make the current version better, fire away in the forum or via email.)

Re: D80 sales I would be happy to help out with this if I can in any way. Just email me at graeme@madeproduct.com

Re: Photokina?

Er, I think this one is from last October. I am a fairly biased Camera Armor user, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but for impact protection, sans battery grip, the Camera Armor is pretty good. The newer models, esp. the Sony Alpha and D40 are designed to fit a battery grip, the rest aren't.

The ToughStrap, which is listed in the letsgodigital post, is a camera strap that has three strands of stainless wire embedded in the nylon webbing. Makes it good to have on your DSLR in Italy, or if you just want a bomber strap. It isn't perfect either--the attachment rings are all metal, so you have a metal on metal connection to the camera. Some folks don't like this much, but it is as strong as we could make it.

http://www.cameraarmor.com has more information, particularly in the FAQ

Miss Sophie Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Does it actually work at all?

Putting more plastic onto a dslr certainly makes it look even more intimidating, but from what I can see there is no evidence of any improvement in shock resistance. There are standards for measuring shock resistance, such as the MIL Standard (MIL-STD 810F). Concrete evidence of improvement over "naked" cameras and lenses might help persuade the market that these are not just more toys for posers.
Sophie.

cameraarmorguy wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am the development guy who is resposible for the product line and
I thought I'd jump in.

Steven Major Regular Member • Posts: 412
Re: weather proof camera armor

I would use it with my 5D and grip (the grip is almost never off) if it was water resistent. Learning the sales figures for 5Ds and 5D grips would help your sales potential...good luck

Re: Drop testing with Camera Armor

Thanks Sophie,

You raise an agonizing question for me. In fact we have done a bit of drop testing, although we aren't ready to do a formal release on the data because we don't have decent methodoligy worked out. The issue about drop testing to a standard like the UPS 1M drop onto concrete isn't really with the body--with the newer cameras, when we drop them (in camera armor, of course) all we do is activate the sensor cleaning function of the camera. The challenge is with the lens. The type of lens we use affects the way they fall, and how they impact. So that is what we are trying to standardize.

Bottom line is that I will try and get you some decent data, and I'll post it here when I get it. (I may have to get someone else to do the testing though--dropping cameras intentionally is worse than smashing your finger with a hammer, repeatedly)

In the meantime, I can say that all of the bodies we have dropped so far as still perfectly functional, but we haven't dropped that many. (Can't say that all the lenses are still perfect, I have one Nikon 70-300mm that sticks a bit as a result of the abuse) I have personally banged Canon and Nikon cameras (in camera armor) on steel tables hundreds of times. They all still work.

I realiize that is about as scientific as split pea soup, though, so take it for what it is worth--one guy's personal experience. By far the best advice on this is still pretty trite: better off not dropping your camera...it is emotionally unnerving for me every time I do it, and I can't recommend anything good about it, except the feeling of relief I get when I flip the switch and the dmaned thing comes to life again.

Thanks for the input, and the chance to respond.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads