It's foolish NOT to pick up a D80

Started Sep 5, 2006 | Discussions
Vladik Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Re: It's foolish NOT to pick up a D80

Just received mine and I love it. The viewfinder is gigantic in comparison to my D50's. Charging the battery as we speak and can't wait to start shooting away.

Vlad
--

AWT Contributing Member • Posts: 848
I want a D50s

Keep that amazing 6MP sensor, but with a nice big viewfinder, gridlines, flash commander and MLU. Please Nikon?

Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,389
Re: Hi Mark..... Thanks for asking....

I don't know if my comments will help you or frustrate you. I find that my jpegs taken with my D200 are usually close enough that I don't need to do any post processing except for cropping and possibly resizing. They're far more usable than my D70's jpegs.
--
--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +5 more
RomanJohnston
RomanJohnston Forum Pro • Posts: 18,865
Guess we have a diffrent definition of foolish...

Foolish to me is buying a camera that is sight unseen....before even real tests (not previews) are done.

As a matter of fact, I wolnt buy any camera any more till I have seen the things that go wrong voiced here in this forum (despite the fact that they often get OVER stated here to the point of nasium)

I did what you did with my D70 back in 2004, and it has had 2 visits to nikon wonderland for issues.

Buying later dosnt guarantee a defect free product...but it enhances the odds in your favor....and you know what to look for as common problem areas.

Just my .02

Roman
--

Photography in short...is about the love of the beauty of your subject. Without that....all the technology in the world will not help you get a good picture.

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Vladik Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Re: Guess we have a diffrent definition of foolish...

I guess you will learn a lesson from us foolish people who like to experiment!

-- hide signature --

Kobus66 Contributing Member • Posts: 951
Re: Who cares?

Klaas1 wrote:

Who cares?
Be happy with your new toy, you didn't even see or feel.
But why do you think we should be interested in your new toys
without seeing pics. Without your experiences in cons and pros.

You are a hard man, not wrong just hard. Why do you comment on these threads if they irritate you ?.

If these type of "meaningless" posts are against the rules, yes lets ban them. But if not, ignore them.

You must see the speculative and other nonsense going on in "my" canon forum.

Don't take me wrong, but why ?

Laat dit goed gaan.
Kobus

ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,747

I dont think you can go wrong with the D80. The feature set is impressive and the samples seem very promising.

I want it badly myself, but will probably wait for the reviews. Partly since i dont have the money for it atm

shades_uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
Then I'm a fool. (NT)
-- hide signature --
b33g33
b33g33 Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Btw, please accept my apologies if my reply seemed a little flippant/combative. I was operating on about 4 hrs of sleep after having to work the entire 3-day weekend to cover for inept project management and not in the best mood.

And its sometimes good to hear other people's opinions.

-- hide signature --

b33g33's gear list:b33g33's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
OP blik Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re: Guess we have a diffrent definition of foolish...

Hmmmm.

Now we both seem to be able to produce decent pix from a D70, then Nikon produced the D50 which seems to be a winner, then the D200, another winner, now they have to come with something that will stand up against the fierce competition in the circa $1k DSLR market. Do you think this is the time for Nikon to bring out an over-hyped clunker?

I have to start taking shots this weekend with a 10 MP DSLR, and this is what I chose.

What guarantee do you have buying any particular model of any particular brand, except that you try to choose the company that seems to have the best consistency in their product and service?
--
Bill K.

Re: How much is it @ Roberts? $949.97

This is not pre-order. They're shipping it today for $949.97 and $50 for the extended 2-yr warranty.

And when you order, mention that you read about it on dpreview.com.
--
Bill K.

ISO display and control is great

It's displayed in the upper left corner of the top control panel. Minimum is 100 compared to the D70's 200.

And, with Auto ISO, you have the option of setting the maximum iso as well as the minimum shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

When the history of DSLRs is written...

...the D70 will have its place, but squinty viewfinder just make an upgrade even more appealing.

If you plan on spending many hours working with the thing, you want the latest and greatest ergonomics possible. And that is really what I meant to say with this post.
--
Bill K.

No problem

The D80 will eventually be known as a great camera, surpassing all expectations.
--
Bill K.

That settles it; everyone should buy the D80

You show good taste in camera selection.

It shouldn't be very long before this forum is flooded with praise for this camera.
--
Bill K.

You need more than 6 MP to sell stock photos

Another reason to upgrade.
--
Bill K.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads