It's foolish NOT to pick up a D80

Started Sep 5, 2006 | Discussions
blik Regular Member • Posts: 431
It's foolish NOT to pick up a D80

The bang for the buck is just too good. With the better viewfinder, and other features handed down from the D200, there's no need to think twice.

Just ordered the body (and extra 2-yr warranty) from Roberts Imaging, which they're sending out today. (I highly recommend this store.) I need to get a photo series underway now, and this will serve perfectly.

Even though they don't have the 18-135 kit lens in stock, I might hold off and wait for the 70-300 VR depending on the reviews. I'll do some scout shooting with the 18-70 kit lens (which is no slouch) from my D70s, and then decide what lenses I need to fix the problems I encounter.

I was considering the Canon side, but I wasn't about to settle for the smallish 400D or wait for something better than the 30D.

I was thinking of also picking up a D50 as my backup since it also uses SD cards.

Au revoir, Simone.
--
Bill K.

Goldeneye Senior Member • Posts: 1,661
Re: It's foolish NOT to pick up a D80

And you're saying this BEFORE you've even tried the camera for yourself?!?

Nick
--
Nikon D50

b33g33
b33g33 Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

I generally tend not to reply to these posts but I'm wondering if you really need the forum to validate your opinion. I mean, its great that you feel so strongly about something but I would rather see some images or a valid question about technique or equipment or something a little more thought provoking.

Also, if you're looking to have a nice debate, you should post this on a Canon forum.

-- hide signature --

b33g33's gear list:b33g33's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
OP blik Regular Member • Posts: 431

I'm basing this judgment on the features offered, and the preliminary reports including Phil's and Ken's. But whatever happens, I'm committed to using this camera. Why aren't you impressed with the specs?

Do you think I'm making a mistake?
--
Bill K.

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Sharing your reasons ...

... for purchasing the D80 is one thing, implying that anybody who decides against the D80 is foolish is another.

Unless you're saying that it'd be foolish of you not to get the D80.

-- hide signature --

Regards, David Chin
(D.7.0. & C.P.4.5.0.0.)

Nikon D80 Links:
http://www.nikond80links.com
http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/nikon_d80_sneak_pictures

Links to all my other sites:
http://www.flickr.com/people/davidchinphoto

bobmax Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380

To me the big deciders are two things:
1) Does it have better Jpeg performance than the D200?
2) Does it have better High ISO Performanc than the D200?

3) And for both of those..... is it "much/noticeably" better or just marjinally so?

I prefer shooting Jpeg due to less workflow and am enjoying the better high ISO performance of my Fuji S3..... I admittedly (and probably my own fault) having trouble w/Jpegs from my D200.... Even using Nikonians and Pierre's settings. Frustrating but have not given up "yet"...

Bob
--
BobNIK

C'mon.... Give Bill a Break!!

He's excited about his purchase... as well he should be. I hardly think he was inferring that anyone who did not buy one is foolish.....

AND.... depending on where you live, buying without trying is sometimes virtually a "requirement" if you want things not found on the shelves in your local stores....

Have a great week to all....

Bob (Yo Bill - enjoy the new Toy... I'm about to do the same thing "I think"....

-- hide signature --

BobNIK

Mark53 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,583
Just curious...

bobmax wrote:
I admittedly (and

probably my own fault) having trouble w/Jpegs from my D200.... Even
using Nikonians and Pierre's settings. Frustrating but have not
given up "yet"...

What kind of issues are you having? Color? Sharpness? I tend to shoot jpeg with my D200 unless it's something "really" important when I'll go to RAW...

Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,408

Bill, enjoy your new camera. I hope it's everything you want it to be and more!

As for me, it'd be foolish to pick up a D80 (unless I just want to see what it's like), since I've got both a D70 and a D200 which are performing just fine for me and I don't need to get another camera.
--
--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more

No, I figured that others with in a similar decision-making process, and I'd relate my conclusion.

If you have the option to wait, or have a bigger budget, your decision might be different.

But, you're right, I too prefer posts that have photos to support a point, show a new technique, or present a problem to be solved. As soon as the body comes in, I'll start shooting and we'll all see what happens.

As far as baiting the Canon folks, I notice that on their forums people are also considering the D80, but if I posted there, I wouldn't intend on trying to make them feel bad about their camera choices.
--
Bill K.

Re: Sharing your reasons ...

Yes, David, I mean to say that for me not getting the D80 would be foolish.

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

If you can get good jpegs out of the D70 as I have, you're ready to tackle just about anything.

With the high iso, for me that would be the main reason to consider the Canon line. But in my work, the lighting is controlled, I work to get the best lighting and rarely accept ambient conditions. It depends what type of photography you do.
--
Bill K.

Hi Mark..... Thanks for asking....

At the expense of taking over this thread... I appreciate your asking and boy... that is a good question (probably not so easily defined.... once placed in a position to do so...... :-). I guess to start with as a "frame of reference" and what I would call "great Jpeg pic's" (realizing that is really a matter of personal taste), Pierre's images simply "blow me away". I'm sure you know which they are - but if not just search for him on the D2/200 Dpreview forum.

So.... if I could get clarity (detail sharpness) and colors/richness of color without blowing things out..... like that, I'd be a really happy camper :-). In short, I'm not. I've tried the Nikonians.org preferred settings (which are what Pierre uses); I've tried some settings recommended by Anthony on the FujiSLR forum, and I've played with almost every setting on the D200 I can... (to the point that at this juncture, I'm probably confused!! :-(.

I have posted some pics on the FujiSLR forum of comparisions I took between my S3 and D200 two days ago... w/a update. They show some of what I'm getting. Also have some on my Pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/dbp

At this point, I'm wondering if it, my glass (shooting w/a 18-200VR) - possibly I need "great glass", or do I have a screwy D200 (or 18-200) or is it just "ME"... (Probably the latter... :-).

Could be that I'm looking for "too much" "directly Out of the Camera" and need better post processing techniques. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to that... ...

Thanks much,

Bob

-- hide signature --

BobNIK

Re: C'mon.... Give Bill a Break!!

Bob, one of the requirements of working up the nerve to adapt to a new camera, is that it truly excites you. David Pogue did a video for the NYTimes Web site where he said that he wasn't excited about the latest crop of DSLRs, and then he went on to talk about some stop-motion software that he was using (?)

How excited can you get about the next laptop you purchase?
--
Bill K.

RonHrl Senior Member • Posts: 2,794
I guess I'll foolishly stay with my D70 (nt)
-- hide signature --
Not nearly as much as "I DO" over a New Cam Body!!! :-)
-- hide signature --

BobNIK

Klaas1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Who cares?

Who cares?
Be happy with your new toy, you didn't even see or feel.

But why do you think we should be interested in your new toys without seeing pics. Without your experiences in cons and pros.

njdevil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
How much is it @ Roberts?

Do they have any non pre-order stock? Thanks!

all_digital Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Call me foolish but I think I will wait for the D90 or what ever number Nikon uses. In the mean time my D70s is a GREAT camera.
http://www.alldigital.fotopic.net
--
Art

Brooks P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
I hope your new camera meets . . .

all your expectations, and then some. No reason to think it won't.

For me I wish it dispalyed the ISO in the viewfinder or at least on the control panel.
--
Brooks

http://www.bmiddleton.smugmug.com

I daresay one profits more by the mistakes one makes off one's own bat than by doing the right thing on somebody's else advice.
— W. Somerset Maugham

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads