D60 - not rumor!!!

Started Dec 31, 2001 | Discussions
OP Peter Gregg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,753
Re: D60 - not rumor!!!

POSTER: Most of my client work (except for families) has been done on the D30 since October. As a result, my Christmas portrait season carried well in to December for new sessions. The final week also produced some pigmented ink (jet - Epson 5500) prints for clients. I have posted several images in Pro Competition - all D30. here's another....

SITE OWNER: Sweet simple picture of brother and sister. Slightly overposed, but nice. Clothing/costumes are cute and handled well. When photographing siblings, my "thing" that I learned is always to have the heights of the sisters and brothers according to ages.

Thus, the older sister would be the taller person in the picture, instead of her yournger brother. Lighting is very simple and does the job.

Glad you're enjoying your D30. I love mine, too. Yes, digital was fantastic for Christmas giving. Certainly, it shortened delivery time!
I'm interested in the Epson 5500, myself. That'll probably be my next purchase.

POSTER: The 5500 is nice! I went with the 2000P as it is smaller and I find the prints look better IMO. If you want to move the printer around get a 2000P, the 5500 is just too heavy to be portable.

I have heard rumors that in February we will be getting our socks knocked off with the new technology in inkjets. Some of the hints that I have heard is 7 or 8 colors(suppose to be looking at a two black system, standard and a grey), also have heard that they are looking at a new print head technology. I cannot wait. Mike

POSTER: My 5500 will just be paid for by then, and it will become an antique??? It is a heavy duty production level machine that delivers prints quite quickly. I thought the 5500 was the printer used in the Epson Gemini system slated for deliveries commencing in January?

POSTER: Yes, 2 - 5500's are used. Seeing that it takes months(years if you are Kodak) to get sytems out like the Gemini if there are new printers then we should see them in the Gemini in a year or two after they hit the market. What I have been told is that the Gemini is leased so you would be able to upgrade as time goes on. I know what you mean about getting it paid off as it becomes an antique. Half my studio is that way, I should open a museum next door dedicated to photography, maybe then I would have a use for all the extra out of date equipment.

SITE OWNER: All the new things will be shown at the PMA show in Orlando in February. I'll be introducing the D60 there for Canon. If you can still find a D30, now is the time to snap one up. I love it!

POSTER: XXXXXX, please tell us about the new D60, if you can. Why won't you be using the new 1D from Canon. Thanks, Ernst

POSTER: D60??? Could this mean that I can dust off the Canon gear for a good digital??? I was not happy with the 1D, I understand why they went this route but it was a step back from where I am now. I will have to look into this one? PMA is where the announcement is to be made for the improvements to the inkjets as well as the new S1(2) or whatever it will be. This is looking like one of the better PMA's for the photographer, and I will be sitting in freezing weather a few thousand miles away. Oh well, I will be getting the updates from PMA E-mailed to me, I will read them in the hot tub so it seems like I am there.

SITE OWNER: It's not for me to make any announcements about the new camera. I just know that now is the time to pick up what's remaining out there of the D30's. It's been GREAT for me. When I get the details on the D60, I'll pass them on to you. Canon's 1D has features that are not what I necessarily need for me. It's perfect for photojournalism, sports, etc.

This PMA show will be the best EVER! XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and I will be demonstrating the new D60 camera there.

So much progress in the industry now, it's unbelievable! I'm thrilled to be around to see everything developing as quickly as it is. Those who are standing on the sidelines hoping that this is just a "phase" had better wake up to reality. This IS the future of image creation!

Remember, however, that digital does NOT rely only on digital cameras. I'm still believing that my Hasselblads are NOT out of style. One can create images still on film and then scan them into your computers for digital retouching.

POSTER: Is this something like letting the cat out of the bag.... It had been rumored earlier this year that Canon was working on two professional cameras. One is now available with lots of improvements and a few problems. This is the first I've heard about the D60 - I'll be anxiously awaiting the details. I was about ready to consider the DCS 760 that a lot of photographers in my area are snapping up.
End of thread.

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5

Okay, thats the thread. There is more in personal conversations, but to keep what I posted above board the above is public so there is no added thoughts by me. The guy is top of the line and would be exactly the type of guy Canon would get to demonstrate the D60. It would similar to hiring Phil Askey but better. This guy is a genious when it comes to photography. I hope this was helpful to those of you who are wanting serious information.

Now to add my own thoughts and questions. If Canon is demonstrating a D30 replacement in Feb, would this be the same thing or be counted as an announcement? If so, it would start the calander towards some kind of release date much like happened for the D30. It too was announced at PMA. That to me ends the speculation for the time part of it. Now for speculating on the camera specs part, I guess that will go on until Feb in Orlando. Unless they announce something sooner!!!! I sincerly hope this was helpful to some of you guys here. I know and read the rumors myself, but this is not rumor, it is a step forward in the unwrapping of the next camera.

Pete

Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5
freestyle Contributing Member • Posts: 691

lhsmith wrote:
Peter Gregg wrote:
One of the pro's I learn from and take classes and lessons from was

hired to demonstrate THE REPLACEMENT FOR THE D30 at the February
show.

Could somebody post the where-and-when of "the february show" ?

Thanks,
Larry

I'm pretty sure this is the official website,

http://www.pmai.org/

I think it was at the FEB 200 show that the D30 was announced..So it is likely in my opinion that a new model will be annouced at this 2002 show.

Gregg

Robby Villabona Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Yeah, but...

Not necessarily -- Canon has apparently been using the convention of higher numbers for newer model consumer digital cameras (e.g. s10, s20, s30, s40). It's probably the right thing to do given how quickly digital technology advances. If they counted down they'd soon run out of numbers.

boarderphreak wrote:

Well, call me skeptical... But if Canon improved upon the D30, I
don't think they'd call it a D60. The better the camera, the LOWER
the number I would think, just like the film-based cameras.

Unless this is an internal name or temporary one... It could imply
a 6MP sensor...

Who knows.

For those who asked, the PMA show is in Orlando in Feb of 2002. It will start on the 24th and go on for 4 days.

Also keep in mind, if an announcement were made in Feb, the real delivery would not really start until much later in the year. The D30 didn't start delivering until Sept I think. Those that can wait fine, in the mean time, the D30 is no slouch of a camera. I make salable prints from it and it is amazing still to me.

Pete

Michael Martin Senior Member • Posts: 1,440
EOS 1D vs. D60

Peter Gregg wrote:

For those who asked, the PMA show is in Orlando in Feb of 2002. It
will start on the 24th and go on for 4 days.

Also keep in mind, if an announcement were made in Feb, the real
delivery would not really start until much later in the year. The
D30 didn't start delivering until Sept I think. Those that can wait
fine, in the mean time, the D30 is no slouch of a camera. I make
salable prints from it and it is amazing still to me.

Pete

Is my 2 week old EOS 1D going to be obsolete now?

RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,838
Re: EOS 1D vs. D60

Michael Martin wrote:

Peter Gregg wrote:

Pete

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,838
Re: EOS 1D vs. D60

RichW wrote:

Michael Martin wrote:

Peter Gregg wrote:

Pete

That old 4MP camera? Of course!!!!

Rich

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Larry H. Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 6,270

Hey Peter,

I'm always looking to add quality websites to my favorites.
Don't suppose you'd care to list a few of yours ??

Larry

david hickey Senior Member • Posts: 1,045
Cool Rumor!

Thanks for sharing the rumor. Sounds like some of the rumors I hear about new cars. I have sources and have sometimes already seen the cars in person but I am embargoed from saying ANYTHING to anyone and I respect that as does Phil on this site about cameras. Sorry that some became rude with you Peter.

I decided to pass on the D30 and wait until this year to invest in a digital SLR. I am an avid hobbyist. If I were a working pro I would have a D30, at least. Last year I bought a Pro90 to play with and travel light with. I like it very much but it has it's drawbacks that drive me nuts. Once you have a 17-35 mm Canon L lens in your hand you can't really be satisfied with the feel of the electronic zoom on a G1, G2 or Pro90. Looking through an electronic viewfinder sucks when compared through looking out and f2.8 lens. Taking pictures in low light is a guess at best with the Pro90.

Here is hoping that the D60 is equivalent to my EOS A2. That camera has been fantastic for me for many years now. An A2 digital SLR equal would last me a long time. Price it under $3,000 and I'm all over it. I just want a body to attach my great Canon glass to that also has multiple focusing points, decent metering system, good flash capabilities, and most importantly, good image quality.

A D30 with some minor improvements is what many of us are waiting for. Of course I would be all over a D30 tomorrow at $1,000 and live with it's minor shortcomings.

BMarkey Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

Here is where I read it:
http://www.zuga.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6076

Here is what it said:

MONTE ZUCKER

Happy New Year!

You don't have to defend your position. I'm just showing you how you can preserve that detail and still adjust the picture to any degree of contrast you wish. I think it's better to have some body onto which the face is attached.

Come to Vegas. It's a two-week party. The convention is FREE if you register in my class there. It's like a "family" show. The whole class parties together thruout the convention.

By the way, I'm getting one of TWO D60's next month. Only two will be in the country by then. Robert Farber is getting the other one. We will be using them, so that we can have samples for PMA in Orlando in February.

I'll be introducing the camera to the public at the WPPI show in Vegas. Quite a thrill!

MikeA wrote:
The following is a verbatim copy of Mr. MacLean's message, to which
you haven't yet replied. Surely, since it's a public declaration,
there must be some public place in which it was declared...

Larry H. Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 6,270
Sounds true, ...another quote:

lhsmith wrote:

Hey Peter,

Larry

Never mind, ...found it.

Here's another quote from the site owner/host:

"By the way, I'm getting one of TWO D60's next month. Only two will be in the country by then. (An associate) is getting the other one. We will be using them, so that we can have samples for PMA in Orlando in February.

I'll be introducing the camera to the public at the WPPI show in Vegas. Quite a thrill!"

Does this mean that the camera will NOT be "introduced to the public" at Orlando(PMA)? Is the Vegas show later or earlier than Orlando?

I'm also left wondering about this remark, by the host:

"I just know that now is the time to pick up what's remaining out there of the D30's."

Why rush out to snap-up D30's, if a new (and presumably improved) "replacement" is coming?

Does this say something about the host's opinion of the replacement? Or about it's price?

Larry

Pepe Senior Member • Posts: 1,775

Lee Rothman wrote:

I agree with ya Frans. I am gonna wait for the 10mp full frame baby
in R&D as we speak, which will likely be announced about this time
next year. At least from what the dealer/rep said it "should" also
have the 1D's AF and AE exposure chip on board as well. No word as
to whether or not it will have the magnesium body, but frankly that
would NOT be a deal breaker for me. The auto focus WOULD. I am
content to get my complete L lens collection under control by
Spring, and then wait to save up enough to be ready for this
awesome camera this time next year.

I agree with you. I am skipping that as well. I probably will get the 2003 PMA announced camera but not this year's. I am very happy with my D30 and will be investing in L lenses first before I jump to the next digital slr body. By then, I hope that I have mastered the basics of photography.

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,456
Pepe, you hit the nail on the head...

The important thing is that your investment in lenses, especially L lenses, will far out weigh the cost of the body, and will be an investment in a system that will serve you for the life of your D30, D60, D5000 and beyond.

One thing is sure, Canon will continue to bring out new digital SLRs to suppliment the range.

The one constant is the lens system.

It's going to be an exciting future, can't wait!

Chris.

Pepe wrote:

Lee Rothman wrote:

I agree with ya Frans. I am gonna wait for the 10mp full frame baby
in R&D as we speak, which will likely be announced about this time
next year. At least from what the dealer/rep said it "should" also
have the 1D's AF and AE exposure chip on board as well. No word as
to whether or not it will have the magnesium body, but frankly that
would NOT be a deal breaker for me. The auto focus WOULD. I am
content to get my complete L lens collection under control by
Spring, and then wait to save up enough to be ready for this
awesome camera this time next year.

I agree with you. I am skipping that as well. I probably will get
the 2003 PMA announced camera but not this year's. I am very happy
with my D30 and will be investing in L lenses first before I jump
to the next digital slr body. By then, I hope that I have mastered
the basics of photography.

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +42 more
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,483
Re: Sounds true, ...another quote:

lhsmith wrote:

lhsmith wrote:

Hey Peter,

Larry

Never mind, ...found it.

Here's another quote from the site owner/host:

"By the way, I'm getting one of TWO D60's next month. Only two will
be in the country by then. (An associate) is getting the other one.
We will be using them, so that we can have samples for PMA in
Orlando in February.

I'll be introducing the camera to the public at the WPPI show in
Vegas. Quite a thrill!"

Does this mean that the camera will NOT be "introduced to the
public" at Orlando(PMA)? Is the Vegas show later or earlier than
Orlando?

I'm also left wondering about this remark, by the host:

"I just know that now is the time to pick up what's remaining out
there of the D30's."

Why rush out to snap-up D30's, if a new (and presumably improved)
"replacement" is coming?

Does this say something about the host's opinion of the
replacement? Or about it's price?

Larry

I believe it, I wouldn't rush out and order the D60 just yet. It will have to be some camera and at the right price to topple the D30 from the top of the pile.

I have had mine for a year and am just starting to produce some really good results mainly because I forgot all about the pros and cons of the camera and let go of the idea that the best lens will improve my work and finally went out and started taking pictures again rather than testing!

I don't need a full sized chip( I've come to like the 1.6 magnification actually) but a 6million pixel CMOS of the same size as the D30 would do me nicely sir.

Happy new year

Dave C
--Dave C

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +10 more
Peter Siciliano Regular Member • Posts: 308

Peter Gregg wrote:

One of the pro's I learn from and take classes and lessons from was
hired to demonstrate THE REPLACEMENT FOR THE D30 at the February
show. He is a big name guy.

So, that means there IS a camera - and Canon is calling it a
REPLACEMENT FOR THE D30!!!!! It is in real life and not a fantisy.
He was not told any info like mp size or when it will be available.
I guess they want a high end person to place the camera with.

THE D30 REPLACEMENT - YES!!!!!!! What neat NEAT words.

That's all.

Pete

Ahh, who cares?

After two years of playing around with prosumer-class cameras, I finally took the plunge and bought the camera I knew I've always wanted. I now finally own my own D30!

Let me tell you, I'm not disappointed in the least! God, does it ever feel good to look through a real lens and have real optical manual focus! I feel released and won't be outgrowing this camera anytime soon.

I've got a lot of work to do in mastering the use of my D30, and I look forward to every fun and frustrating minute of the process!

My New Year's resolution for 2002 is to not get caught up by the hype of new and improved products, but rather to make the most of what I'm fortunate enough to own right now!

If I have any regrets with respects to buying my D30 right now, it would be for having missed out on possible price reductions of the cost of the camera by Canon in lieu of an updated version. Oh well, life's to short to wait too long!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Sincerely,

PGS

JC Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: Sounds true, ...another quote:

lhsmith wrote:

lhsmith wrote:

Hey Peter,

Larry

Never mind, ...found it.

And for those who want the URL as well as the content, look at Bob Markey's post above.

BTW, thank you, Peter. I've been waiting for news about Canon's next announcement. And for those who don't want to read about this (whether you consider it news or rumor), the solution is simple -- don't!

JC

JC's gear list:JC's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
JC Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Peter Gregg wrote:

Pete

Pete,

But on the other hand, the 1D started shipping within three months of its announcement in September. Maybe Canon will continue to reduce the wait time.

Do you know what the "WPPI show in Vegas" (to which Mr. Zucker refers) is and when it is? Thanks again.

JC

JC's gear list:JC's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
David Birkin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Re: Pepe, you hit the nail on the head...

Chris Dodkin wrote:

One thing is sure, Canon will continue to bring out new digital
SLRs to suppliment the range.

very true. the body part of the system is very dynamic.

The one constant is the lens system.

i sure hope so.

-- hide signature --

.ICQ Canon EOS activelist 136431230---BreezeBrowser RAW conversion times http://www.davidbirkin.com

David Birkin's gear list:David Birkin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
sarbos Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Thank you Gregg!!!

I belive it's true, but whathever it's true or not, it's a nice story to begin the year with!

Thank you, and forget the criticisms!

Sarbos

btw: Happy new year to you all!

sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads