Continuous Ink System for Epson

Started Aug 7, 2006 | Discussions
Ron Feldman New Member • Posts: 7
Continuous Ink System for Epson

I recently purchased a Continuous Ink System for my Epson R1800. Here is my review:

I produce about 50+ photo prints of my artwork per week for resale, so a CIS is imperative. I had already purchased a CIS from another company, which arrived defective, and after weeks of e-mails and phone calls, no one responded to my problem. Due to that, I sought a company with better customer service. Hence, I e-mailed a questions to a few companies to find out who was most responsive. I was very impressed when one company responded by telephone. I spoke with them for a while about their different products, felt assured they were a responsible company, and purchased a system. The CIS arrived well-packed and in good time. Its a very sturdy and nice-looking device with indicator lights for when individual ink bottles run low. The lights are important because changing ink before it runs out keeps air from getting into the feed tubes.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: The installation was straight forward and I appreciated the instructional videos on their website. I had a couple of questions though, which were responded to quickly, and I had to run about 6 cleaning cycles to get it going. I made prints using both Photoshop and Picasa, and found the quality to be best when I turned up the Magenta, Cyan, and Yellow to 20 points each on the Advanced Settings tab. Once I did that, the quality appears equivalent to the original Epson inks. However, I have spoke with a couple other users of this CIS and they did not have to alter their color settings. Go figure. I also appreciate the low amount of bronzing of these inks, as compared to Epson's factory photo black.

EXTENDED REVIEW: After over a month of use, I remain pleased with this CIS. I had a problem with the yellow clogging about three weeks into my usage, but it was quickly resolved through their customer service. They told me to make sure there are no kinks in the tube feed and that the CIS should be 2 inches above desk level. Its been working fine ever since. This has been a very easy company to work with and I have recommended them to my other artist friends. I intend to order more ink from them myself.

JohnJ80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: Continuous Ink System for Epson

uh, maybe I missed it - but whose CIS are you reviewing?

Also, the kinks in the tubes are not clogging - I presume you mean that you had missing segments in your print head test pattern. If the segments move around, then it is air bubbles (or poor quantity of ink to the head). If the segments stay missing and don't move around, then it is clogging.

Given that you had to adjust colors in PS, you would be well off if you had profiles made for the papers you use with the ink you are using. There is an extremely low probability that any ink is an EXACT gamut match on a given paper to another.

J.

-- hide signature --

'Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.' -
Mark Twain

(equip in profile)

Alfred Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

hmmm ... there was a similar "hi, I am a first time poster" reviewing the same system a couple of days ago ... a french guy IIRC...

weired desire of first timers to do an unsolicited review (both with pix) of the SAME CIS system for epsons here on the board ...

?-)

OP Ron Feldman New Member • Posts: 7

Yes, it is for the same system. I saw the French guy's review and I think I noticed your post on his site. As I think I mentioned, I hunted around for a CIS for a couple weeks after having a dispute with one company. There were not many reviews available aside from the initial Ebay "I got it on time, everything was in the box" reviews. I hope this posting might help other people with their research. I'm not advertizing for the company and I don't want to give a bad name to the first (some people like them, because their prices are pretty low)- I think my review was pretty objective- but if anyone wants the info, I will tell them where I got my CIS.

Thanks very much for the color settings advice.

Also, you're right, it was clogging as the nozzle check segments were staying in one place. Anyways, once I raised the CIS up a couple inches, the problem went away. I don't know what that has to do with clogging since there were no visible air bubbles in the tubes. But hey, it works!

Oh yeah, and I got the CIS from Efillink.com

Dominic.Chan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168

Ron Feldman wrote:

I'm not advertizing for the company and I don't want to
give a bad name to the first (some people like them, because their
prices are pretty low)

I would be interested in the name of the first company. As long as you are only report factually your own experience, I don't think anyone would accuse you of giving the company a bad name.

photoman47 Forum Member • Posts: 60
*** No SPAM Plz ***

If you look carefully, these guys are actually from the same company that sells cheap chinese-made CIS.

I used one of this system last year, I thought it was fancy. But right after I installed it and printed the first page, I damaged my printer. I tried it on my another printer, it was totally diaster. cheap ink clogged nozzles, and cheap tubes full with clogging ink. that means, no ink flow at all!!!

Again, it is no different from any other chinese CIS sold on ebay. The only different is that fancy box which functions nothing but a simple LED board.

BTW, I bought such system from Australia. Around $25 USD. Totally junk!!!

Dont waste your time and money.

Find some other better CIS.

Bad Australian product

Sorry to hear about your bad Australian product, but you're surprised and angry that you got a piece of junk for $25? Like I said, there are some faulty CIS's out there. I bought one, too from a Canadian company because it was cheap, although my mistake cost me $120. The one I purchased from efillink however seems to work quite well. And yes, their "pro system" isn't much more than a glorified LED board, but it sure is better than the group of bottles I got from the other company strapped together with a rubber band, (I kid you not).

By the way, I am guessing that the reason your printer clogged was either the quality of the ink or the type of ink was incompatable. For example, large pigment particles will not fit through the heads of a dye printer.

My review shouldn't be the end of your research as there are alot of companies out there. if you have had trouble with a particular company or found one that works really well for you, please post it here. So you found an Australian device that sucked, but did you find a good replacement? Aside from Efillink, I have also heard positive things about MIS, although they are more expensive. If anyone has experience with these products or others, please share it because there is very little objective information out there.

again, same junk - absolutely same

I can tell from your picture.
that's exactly same as the junk i bought before.
it is made in China. Cost is less than 10.00 USD.
that box does not anything good at all.

by the way , you can get  the same box from ebay at 25 USD

do a search on ebay.
a lot of people complaining about this device.
crack their printers within few days.

Re: by the way , you can get the same box from ebay at 25 USD

photoman47 wrote:

do a search on ebay.
a lot of people complaining about this device.
crack their printers within few days.

What "cracked their printers" was the ink, not the device. I don't know how you can tell what ink is being used, just by looking at the picture.

Re: Bad Australian product

Ron Feldman wrote:

Aside from Efillink, I have also heard
positive things about MIS, although they are more expensive.

Efillink and MIS use the same ink, from what they told me.

i3c Regular Member • Posts: 261

I can't find anything.
As far as I can see, most ebay sellers have high ratings.
(which, in itself, doesn't sell me.)
could you post an URL to the $25 unit you mention?
and/or of the ebay complaints?

thanks.

I used  the same system I got from ebay last year. that seller is from Australia. when I got that package, it is actually from China.

the ink is bad, obviously. and the tubes are very easy to get clogged. YES, ink clog the poor quality tube.

and the modified cartridge damange the chip reader (that golden part), three chip readers are gone.

totally diaster. I sent printer to Epson, they charged me $250 to repair  chip reader.

from my observation, they use very cheap tubes that do not have enough flexibility to carry ink,

the ink flow is not right either. sometime I could get half picture to print, sometime just 1/3 of picture.
and the colors are missing all over the paper.

BAD INK FLOW!

I tried and tried and tried.... just waste my time, and EXPENSIVE paper!!!!

made in the US

Actually, I believe their ink is made in the U.S.

i3c wrote:

could you post an URL to the $25 unit you mention?

I am not sure if it's the same one, but Print-On-a-Dime has some clearance units going for 9.99 to 14.99.

http://printonadime.com/CLEARANCE.html

They used to sell on eBay has well, but currently don't have any on eBay.

i3c Regular Member • Posts: 261

thanks,
for $14, i may just buy it to take a look at it.
if it seems too flimsy i'll just cannibalize it for parts for a waste ink tank.
i'll report back.

phlai Forum Member • Posts: 97

R2400 is not designed for CIS.

I think most of the CIS for it is made in China but with different package or external appearance.

I also use one bought in Hong Kong. I suffered broken cartidge once and was replaced without fee. (It is common for China product because of poor Q.C.) What I remind you is to buy from company which has responsbility and nearby.

I use the system for one year and it is OK till now. The most difficult thing is the initial setup. You need to measure accurate the placing of sticker and the tubing becuase they will affect the movement of print head and destroy the printer.

I only used the original ink from Epson. Of course it is the 220ml ink for 4800. Using the color profile from Epson, the color is better with the 220ml package. However, I think the profile made from PrintFIX Pro is better but the file made from PFP is smaller then the original Epson's.

It is very happy to print photo withous consider the cost. Although the cost for original Epson 220ml ink is a little bit higher the 3rd party ink, I think it is acceptable when you considering for qualtiy.

Also one more word, even with original small cartidge ink for R2400, it is very easy to block the printhead, I remind you better not to use 3rd party ink.

JeanMarie GERARD New Member • Posts: 14

You should not install those cheaply made system as you said. You should one I use from. The same one Roni Feldman use, except it is for the R2400.

You said Epson 220ml ink block print heads. The ink I bought from inkfillshop is made in the USA, it does not block print heads. The quality is very good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads