Another Photographer Arrested

Started Jul 27, 2006 | Discussions
marcuson Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Another Photographer Arrested

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia family said they are outraged over the arrest of one of their family members.

The family of Neftaly Cruz said police had no right to come onto their property and arrest their 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera. They told their story to Harry Hairston and the NBC 10 Investigators...

Cruz said that when he heard a commotion, he walked out of his back door with his cell phone to see what was happening. He said that when he saw the street lined with police cars, he decided to take a picture of the scene...

"They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding an investigation, obstruction of a investigation. … They said, 'You were impeding this investigation.' (I asked,) "By doing what?' (The officer said,) 'By taking a picture of the police officers with a camera phone,'" Cruz said...

The NBC 10 Investigators asked the ACLU union how they viewed the incident.

"There is no law that prevents people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street," said Larry Frankel of the American Civil Liberties Union. "I think it's rather scary that in this country you could actually be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street."

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

Welcome to the Police State!

-- hide signature --

No lie can live forever. They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.

Gerald Massey

RMbA Regular Member • Posts: 291
Re: Another Photographer Arrested

Outrageous and mind-boggling--seemingly the logical outcome of using the genuine threats of terrorism in a post-9/11 world to expand police powers indiscriminately and correspondingly constrain civil liberties.

The worst of it is that, on balance, the net effect--from what we're told about the specific vulnerability of rail systems, chemical plants, harbors, etc.--is that our overall vulnerability to terrorism is, for the most part, undiminished.

The irony, of course, is that photojournalism and amateur photography offer some means of documenting and controlling otherwise unchecked police malpractice.

MagicNikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,445

Mr. Cruz and family will likely settle out of court for a nice sum. The cops were out of line.
--
If you like what I can do with cards, wait til you see what I do with the limes.

Stephen Schwartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,985

First they came for the photographers, and then they came for me.
--
Stephen M Schwartz
SeattleJew.blogspot.com

Roger Krueger Senior Member • Posts: 2,785
Another Pennsylvania case, guy eventually got money.

Here's a story from last fall where a Pennsylvania guy very belatedly got money for a pair of arrests for videotaping officers.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/541.asp

henryhscheng Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: Another Pennsylvania case, guy eventually got money.

No matter, there are tons of lawyer willing to sue that PD's pants off and then every penny they have on the family's behalf.

-- hide signature --

UMAX AstraCam, Nikon 21OO, 54OO, 84OO, Canon A51O, Sony Ericsson P91Oi's O.3MP, Panasonic FZ2OK, Fujifilm F7OO

Northerner Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Another Pennsylvania case, guy eventually got money.

obviously the police were beating a suspect and didnt want to have any evidence of it to be used against them!

harrygilbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,799

Before everyone launches into a post-9/11 Bush-bashing frenzy, please consider that this type of Gestapo behavior has long been a characteristic of Philadelphia cops. I grew up in Philly, and left in digust over the corruption in government and the police. Remember, this was the police force that firebombed 61 houses about 20 years ago.

http://newsmine.org/archive/security/police-militarization/city-bombs-philadelphia-homes/philadelphia-firebombing-victims-win-in-court.txt

While I have great respect for police who take the "protect and serve" oath seriously, all too many have inflated egos and are hyper-sensitive to anything that they perceive as infringing on their status and prerogatives.

And, especially since the photographed and televised instances of cops beating suspects, police are very sensitive to photographers recording their activities.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
mjwood0 Regular Member • Posts: 154

Really makes you wonder what the police had to hide?!
--
As always, just my $0.02.

mjwood0's gear list:mjwood0's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +3 more
OP marcuson Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

harrygilbert wrote:

Before everyone launches into a post-9/11 Bush-bashing frenzy,

please consider that this type of Gestapo behavior has long been a
characteristic of Philadelphia cops. I grew up in Philly, and left
in digust over the corruption in government and the police.
Remember, this was the police force that firebombed 61 houses about
20 years ago.

Hmmm. Interesting. You are correct. Worth considering.

While I have great respect for police who take the "protect and
serve" oath seriously, all too many have inflated egos and are
hyper-sensitive to anything that they perceive as infringing on
their status and prerogatives.

There are god cops and bad cops. Problem is, most of the bad ones gravitate towards the higher positions in the force.

And, especially since the photographed and televised instances of
cops beating suspects, police are very sensitive to photographers
recording their activities.

The maxim, If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, should be turned around and directed at them.

-- hide signature --

No lie can live forever. They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.

Gerald Massey

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,513

There's always people who overreact. Incidents like this are rare and it doesn't mean we have a police state.
--
Tom

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
tbcass

Very true. This type of stuff was going on long before 9/11.
--
Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,566

Sorry, not my country, maybe I shouldn't opinion, but you're getting there if you (the people) don't do anything to stop this. Too bad too many fellows call this sillyness. Tomorrow it will be called madness. Hitler did it bit by bit. The siege didn't happen overnight.

It all started whith senior. (ex-spies are not supposed to become presidents, statemen are)

It would be a real pity that the great democracy of the XX century ends up as the first police state of the XXI.

Good luck (to mankind)

Eduardo

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
tbcass

Trust me. It's rare, not new and will be delt with.
--
Tom

Bob Blount Veteran Member • Posts: 7,458

Stephen Schwartz,
????????????????
--
Bob,
'There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.' Ansel Adams
Great Pro1
Casio Z750

Bob Blount's gear list:Bob Blount's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
slipe Senior Member • Posts: 1,885

Leave it to the political geniuses to bring national leadership into the situation.

The Philadelphia police don’t want people taking photos of their activities. I can see where things are often taken out of context. People often miss the violent resistance of the person being arrested and get only the police reaction.

I think the public good is overall served better by the police knowing that anything they do can be photographed and filmed. That knowledge probably restricts overreaction.

If the ACLU rep who commented is correct then the law will likely be overturned by the courts as being unconstitutional. If it can’t be overturned on those grounds then it is up to the voters of Philadelphia to let it be known that the law is unreasonable. A few more cases of bystanders being hauled off as criminals because they snapped a picture is likely to cause a groundswell of indignation.

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,013
Re: It's Philadelphia

I think a close look at the political history of the city will show that left to themselves, local Democrats don't seem to need Washington's help to bumble and stumble yet don't have much trouble with elections either.

Of course we could consider this another link in the chain forged by Reagan and the first President Bush (VP at the time) when the local cops dropped a bomb on a row house. Wilson Goode was re-elected after and inspite of that.

Goode followed the notable Democrat Frank Rizzo.

Just guessing, but doubt that Mayor Street would choose to blame the President for this but I suppose he could try. The people of Philadelphia have themselves to blame for their local police force, not anyone else.

Brian Forum Pro • Posts: 21,760
Re: It's Philadelphia

I don't know. Does Detroit have Philidephia beat with kwame kilpatrick?

In Detroit, once in office, you are in office as long as you want and can do whatever you want because unless all the people are dead, they'll still vote for you. Now if you were in Chicago, not even death would prevent you from voting.

Craig Gillette wrote:

I think a close look at the political history of the city will show
that left to themselves, local Democrats don't seem to need
Washington's help to bumble and stumble yet don't have much trouble
with elections either.

Of course we could consider this another link in the chain forged
by Reagan and the first President Bush (VP at the time) when the
local cops dropped a bomb on a row house. Wilson Goode was
re-elected after and inspite of that.

Goode followed the notable Democrat Frank Rizzo.

Just guessing, but doubt that Mayor Street would choose to blame
the President for this but I suppose he could try. The people of
Philadelphia have themselves to blame for their local police force,
not anyone else.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Stephen Schwartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,985
As liberty erodes fascism grows

I was quoting a Nazi era comment by a man who went along with the Nazi's until his onw people were targetted.

This even, on it sonw merits, is very little. But, as part of the American slide toward acceptance of fascism, it is worrisome,
--
Stephen M Schwartz
SeattleJew.blogspot.com

kellert Senior Member • Posts: 2,620
Big Deal

With today's "instant" access to communications, information and media we are only going to see/hear more of this.

it doesn't mean that it's epedemic or getting worse.

i would have been more concerned about my rights as a photographer 40, 30, or even 20 years ago.

marcuson wrote:

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia family said they are outraged over
the arrest of one of their family members.

The family of Neftaly Cruz said police had no right to come onto
their property and arrest their 21-year-old son simply because he
was using his cell phone's camera. They told their story to Harry
Hairston and the NBC 10 Investigators...

Cruz said that when he heard a commotion, he walked out of his back
door with his cell phone to see what was happening. He said that
when he saw the street lined with police cars, he decided to take a
picture of the scene...

"They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding an
investigation, obstruction of a investigation. … They said, 'You
were impeding this investigation.' (I asked,) "By doing what?' (The
officer said,) 'By taking a picture of the police officers with a
camera phone,'" Cruz said...

The NBC 10 Investigators asked the ACLU union how they viewed the
incident.

"There is no law that prevents people from taking pictures of what