5D for sports/children

Started Jul 27, 2006 | Discussions
jerryk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,625
Re: 5D for sports/children

If there are budgetary issues remember that the 5D will magnify any flaws you have on your lenses. So be sure to factor in the cost of high end lenses, L's and primes.

-- hide signature --

jerryk.smugmug.com

Fotoj Forum Member • Posts: 50

In my studio we use the 30D for all youth sports. This includes action and the posed team/ individual pictures. It does a wonderful job. I use my 5D for in the studio and outdoors for senior portraits etc. I have a 1dMkIIN that I use on certain occastions when I want the extra fast motor drive or am going to be in bad weather conditions.

You will like the 30D and the cost is reasonable.

Oh and the 30D does a nice job as a portrait camera.

Cal Dawson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
Strange...

I have photos up to a couple of feet wide hanging on my wall and they look great actually better than my 35mm photos. They were from the old 10D (remember that one) between 8 and 12 mp is not a great difference for photos to the size described the 8 will still look great....
--
Cal

Put a Canon to your head, You deserve it....

http://funshots.smugmug.com/

Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
It's also strange.....

......to hear that my Lexus isn't as good a car as a MB. Those Dr Z commercials must be working.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Tim in upstate NY
Good advice

Rlee wrote:

Any chance you can try out/rent or whatever, the cameras you are
interested in?

I used the Rebel XT, had the opportunity to try out the 30D(nice
camera but to me an XT with more bells and whistles), even shot
with a Nikon D1H and then came the 5D.

Even though the 5D was twice the money of the 30D I tried, the full
frame 5D won me over hands down and I bought it. I still use our
the 30D and D1H occassionally, but will always prefer the 5D, in
all shooting situations.

I wouldn't have known that the 5D would be my choice without trying
different cameras, despite tons of on-line advice to the
contrary....folks recommended the 30D to me...nice camera... but
I'm glad I bought the 5D.

Perhaps you can get a chance to try them out? Maybe then you can
decide for yourself? Based on experience, not advice.

.............The 5D's viewfinder alone will make him start wanting it. You can actually follow the plays on a football field through it without lowering the camera to see what's happening. 3 fps with a large buffer is plenty for most game situations short of college and the pros and was all that was available not that long ago anyway.

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Axlbg66 Contributing Member • Posts: 597
The devil's advocate...

Is there any real reason to choose Canon? If not, would you consider the Nikon D200. I know this is a Canon forum and I have only Canon, but if you have not invested in glass already, Nikon may be an alternative. Certainly from what I have seen so far, the high ISO performance is not as good as the 5D but if you shoot with fast lenses and in good light, this may not be an issue. More over, in only one month there will be a whole bunch of new and improved cameras out there. Can you wait that long?

Now I will take a deep breath and prepare for the grilling.....
--
carpe diem, or just don't ..... but shoot, shoot, shoot

Axlbg66's gear list:Axlbg66's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Sheldon Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Lexus ...

Actually, I've got two Lexus, and while they are fine cars, I think it would be a stretch to call them great cars.

Agreed Cal but ....

I figured if I suggested that you could blow them to kingdom come and the 30D would still look great, I'd be setting off a fire storm with the 5D folk who hold firm to the idea that it's when you blow 'em up the 5D really shines --- I think it shines with higher ISO.

Cheers, Sheldon

OP DM1DM Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: The devil's advocate...

WOW!!! Great advice from everyone!

I have considered the Nikon D200 but have crossed it off the list for two reasons. First, some of my children's activities are indoors where lighting is poor. The high ISO requirment in this sports situation on the D200 appears as though it will yield relatively poor quality, high noise photos. Secondly, my wife will be using the camera and actually wants more of a point and shoot feel. I like the manual stuff but she doesn't. I don't believe the D200 has any style or preset modes (but I could be wrong.). I understand the 30D and D5 do.

Right now I believe you've convinced me to go with the 30D for price image quality reasons. I will explore the possibility of trying the 5D and 30D locally. The few stores I've been in have not had any 5D's or many lens choices, but I'll recheck.

As excited as I am to get the new gear, there's no reason I can't wait a while to purchase if something better is expected to come out and is worth my wait!

Thanks again everyone!

Tim in upstate NY
Re: Lexus ...

.......Do you have a LS400 or LS430? I was able to drive 1100 miles non-stop except for gasoline stops in my LS400 a few months ago.........in 13 1/2 hours. Cruise control was set at 80+ most of the way and that 4 liter V8 still got 24 mpg. My wife's Maxima would have worn me out about half way.......Handling? I can take a 25 mph ramp at 50 mph without any lateral drift or tire squeal in that 3800 lb. sedan. The Bridgestone Touranzas might be the reason for that though.

I love that car.....It's like a 5D on wheels!

Cal Dawson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
Re: Agreed Cal but ....

Both are good cameras and very capable of exceding the capabilities of 95% of the people on this forum (Myself included). Unfortunately so many people buy into the Idea that MP is the be all end all. I see so many people spend ungodly amounts on Lenses and change bodies as soon as the next model comes out then complain about how the old model was no good.

Sheldon Bowles wrote:

I figured if I suggested that you could blow them to kingdom come
and the 30D would still look great, I'd be setting off a fire storm
with the 5D folk who hold firm to the idea that it's when you blow
'em up the 5D really shines --- I think it shines with higher ISO.

Cheers, Sheldon

-- hide signature --

Cal

Put a Canon to your head, You deserve it....

http://funshots.smugmug.com/

Hi Tim

That's exactly why I love to have two of them (mine is the LS400) --- the ride and the handling. The 400 is a joy just to be in. However, these cars also have some engineering and design issues that if they were GM cars, people would be yelling about and dumping all over "North American" cars! It is painful to admit, after spending so much on them, but my 2000 Chevy half ton truck while not riding so well, or so beautifully appointed inside, is better built, more reliable, and (ouch!) the service at the dealership is even better. Will I buy another Lexus? Very likely. As you say, they are an incredible experience.

Now, to drag all this back onto topic, if only so slightly, I see you live in upstate New York. I have a friend/business partner, who has a cottage on the finger lakes. And I've spent some time around Buffalo. A beautiful part of the world --- a man would need a 5D full frame to do it justice!

Happy motoring, and shooting, Sheldon

The choir says, "Amen!" (nt)

Sheldon

Tim in upstate NY
Re: Hi Tim

Sheldon Bowles wrote:

That's exactly why I love to have two of them (mine is the LS400)
--- the ride and the handling. The 400 is a joy just to be in.
However, these cars also have some engineering and design issues
that if they were GM cars, people would be yelling about and
dumping all over "North American" cars! It is painful to admit,
after spending so much on them, but my 2000 Chevy half ton truck
while not riding so well, or so beautifully appointed inside, is
better built, more reliable, and (ouch!) the service at the
dealership is even better. Will I buy another Lexus? Very likely.
As you say, they are an incredible experience.

.........Sorry to hear that you've had some reliability issues with yours. In the past few years, mine has snapped the rear sway bar and the power steering pump went out. I did both repairs myself which saved a ton of money compared to what a dealer would've charged. My most persistent problem though is that the nearest dealer is 100 miles away and the local Toyota dealers won't even open the hood and do any diagnostics for me. They could do it if they wanted to but won't.........must be some corporate policy.

Now, to drag all this back onto topic, if only so slightly, I see
you live in upstate New York. I have a friend/business partner,
who has a cottage on the finger lakes. And I've spent some time
around Buffalo. A beautiful part of the world --- a man would
need a 5D full frame to do it justice!

.............I'm in the Binghamton area and yes there is some terrific scenery throughout this region for photography.

blinky led Contributing Member • Posts: 718
-- hide signature --

I shoot with the 5D and love it, but I personally think the 30D would be a better choice for what you describe (sports & kids). The 30D IQ would be more than adequate and for sports the 1.6x crop would come in handy with the tele lens. That and it shoots faster and it's a lighter more compact body so you'll likely take it more often than the digicam. The only exception is if you have previous experience shooting with film SLR and really miss the large viewfinder, which was my case. The 5D viewfinder is very nice compared to all the crop cameras. That is enough to keep me with FF body.

For the price of 5D, you can get a 30D and a very nice lens. That would be my choice.

Good luck.

Claude Jodoin Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Ideally he should keep his old camera

I have owned 45 digital cameras in the last 12 years because they keep improving and I have made money with all of them.

I had 2 1D Mk II's which were terrific, except of the Jepeg color, which over saturated the reds in a bad way. My 10d (probably the best JPG color ever from Canon) and 20d's had superrior color also. So I sold both of them and got the latest, smaller bodies

I now have 2 30D's and on 5D. If you are talking about image QUALITY, there is no difference, really. They both have the same color quality, Zero noise at 100-200, VERY low noise at 1600, and useable at 3200. The few extra megapixels of the 5D give you higher resolution, but not as much as you think.

I still have a 1D (CCD) that I paid $5,500 for and it doesn't have as low noise as the 30D, but it does do 8 fps, which, even that isn't fast enought for some sports.

The best sports camera for the buck is the 30D. You don't NEED more than 8 Megapixels to earn a living in a general purpose camera. The ONLY reason I got a 5D is for doing inerior photographs for builders and marble suppliers....with the full view of a 14mm lens. For sports and portraits, you need lenses longer than 50mm.

Image quality these days is most dependent on skill and techniique of the photographer. I have over a million images to prove it and still counting.

Claude Jodoin
Technical Editor Rangefinder Mag.
Working Photographer http://www.claudejodoin.com
--
Claude

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads