Train Tracks Portrait - D50 / 18-55 Kit Lens

Started Jul 16, 2006 | Discussions
phuddle Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Train Tracks Portrait - D50 / 18-55 Kit Lens

I really don't think this lens is all that bad. I am going to start using it more.

TheronFamily Forum Pro • Posts: 19,983
strong pic

strong message.
well done.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin
.photoholic. - incurable -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
some pics: http://www.rootminus1.com/freepics/index.php?cat=10032

TheronFamily's gear list:TheronFamily's gear list
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Brooks P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: Train Tracks Portrait - D50 / 18-55 Kit Lens

I’m not into B&W, so I’m not a very good person to be giving a C&C. But it looks pretty good to me, maybe a little darker or more contrast? Like I said I’m not into B&W, so don’t take me too seriously. I’m not sure the angle works 100% for me, I find myself tilting my head trying to get the tracks level. I also like to see more info given, like ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, maybe how you converted to B&W.

As for the 18-55 “kit” lens, I have not had any major complaints with IQ, my only complaint so far is that it is somewhat slow. I found a very good review on that lens here, http://www.camerahobby.com/Review_18-55_55-200.htm

-- hide signature --

Brooks

http://www.bmiddleton.smugmug.com

I daresay one profits more by the mistakes one makes off one's own bat than by doing the right thing on somebody's else advice.
— W. Somerset Maugham

bluescreen484 Contributing Member • Posts: 909
very nice (nt)

cheers,

John

Aristide Contributing Member • Posts: 588
What train tracks? (nt)
-- hide signature --

Aris!

OP phuddle Contributing Member • Posts: 562

To me things are more interesting when they are not level. I tend to shoot things that are a bit askew, just like my mind.

jsw513 Contributing Member • Posts: 670

phuddle, great shot. I love the angle, and the angel Any lighting used? Could you share techniques and/or exif?
--

Jeff

'The lights in the sky keep calling my name, I think they're coming for me' - Les Claypool

Edge767
Edge767 Contributing Member • Posts: 654

Well done.. I like the angle, the model, her pose, even the straps on the dress off her shoulders... the only thing I'd change is to add a bit more contrast to bring some of the blacks out... and darked just a tad.

GREAT WORK!
--

Edge767's gear list:Edge767's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Nikon D200 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
comoxbrit Contributing Member • Posts: 835

Good angle and good pose. Add more contrast and burn in the top of the picture, the train tracks take your eye right up to the bright hole and out of the picture. Then the model will get all our attention!.

nuteshack Senior Member • Posts: 2,626

comoxbrit wrote:

Good angle and good pose. Add more contrast and burn in the top of
the picture, the train tracks take your eye right up to the bright
hole and out of the picture. Then the model will get all our
attention!.

very well done. makes me wana see more (taking down the straps just kill me, beautiful women gotta be some of God's best work) and althought i'm an idiot on pp i aggree with this guy on the enhancements. thanks for sharing.

Blacklumix Regular Member • Posts: 474

I might have shot from lower to the left. That might put your human subject in a more prominent position while still picking up the distance of the tracks. Or might have played w/ fstop to have tracks blur in the distance. Otherwise pretty nice image.

Blacklumix's gear list:Blacklumix's gear list
Leica T
Slugo Regular Member • Posts: 178
Outstanding B&W photo >>

IMHO everything is perfect about that picture. BTW, I prefer the 18-55DX over the more expensive, over-weight, over-rated and not as sharp 18-70DX. I also really like the angle or skew of the picture. Very nice work...

-- hide signature --

Slugo

Thanks all for the C&C!

Lighting was a SB800 on a bracket TTL-BL turned to face her.

I specifically chose the aperture to keep the detail of the tracks, I really wanted to see it go to infinity. I also like the girl in the bottom left of the image. I like the fact she is not seeking the center of the frame. Says more to me than if she was.

Marc Acheson New Member • Posts: 24

Did you take one with large aperture/shallow DoF? If so, I'd like to see it for comparison (although I think your shot's excellent!). Also, I think it would be interesting if only one strap was hanging off the shoulder. Can I borrow your model and try it myself

No, sure didn't. I shot with the specific intention of keeping everything in focus, did not even consider opening it up. I will shoot there again soon, I will try it both ways.

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Linked this and the ...

... flower portrait at :> http://nikond50.dpnotes.com/portraits-at-a-train-track-and-on-a-train

Very nice pics - I enjoyed viewing them!

Do you have a website which I can give proper credits to in the blog post? Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

David Chin
Regards, David Chin
(D.7.0. & C.P.4.5.0.0.)
Links to all my other sites at :> http://www.flickr.com/people/davidchinphoto

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads