Canon employee discount Locked

Started Jul 15, 2006 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
landscape lighter Junior Member • Posts: 35
Canon employee discount

I have been told that in December and July canon employees are entitled to a 50% discount on canon merchandise. Is this true?

AUDIOZ Regular Member • Posts: 478
Re: Canon employee discount

Highly doubtful.

Even if it were true - you can bet:

1: They will make staff purchases very strict and restrict what they can purchase.
2: Forget it if your not a Canon employee.
3. Irrelivent unless your a Canon employee who needs a new camera.
--
http://www.jholko.com - JHolko Photography

OP landscape lighter Junior Member • Posts: 35

Is this speculation on your part or the way it is?

AUDIOZ Regular Member • Posts: 478

Neither...It's

Common Sense.
--
http://www.jholko.com - JHolko Photography

Jason L Regular Member • Posts: 248

Nope, no such discount exists. They have specials that the employees can buy, such as refurbed items at highly discounted prices. One year, they had refurbed 70-200 IS for $999. Another year, they had 350XT for $560.

wlai78 Regular Member • Posts: 277
A friend of mine works at Canon's

digital camera (P&S only, not DSLRs) marketing department in NY. She was able to buy the SD700IS and SD630 the moment they were announced in February. I don't know if she paid full price or not, but I do know they can get their hands on cameras before they hit the stores.

Bartek Senior Member • Posts: 1,408
Re: A friend of mine works at Canon's

A friend of mine also works in Canon. He is a manager in business/office (copiers, laser printers) division. When I was looking for a 28-135 IS lens few years ago he was able to get one for me 20% less than european street price. He bought it for himself.

However it was occasionally and he was not able to do it frequently (once every 6 months).

-- hide signature --

Bartek

Bartek's gear list:Bartek's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III
dchao Veteran Member • Posts: 5,170

It depends on their seniority really.

At VP, President, CEO level, I doubt they will have to pay any thing at all. However, if you are only a janitor there, you might not get any discount at all.

landscape lighter wrote:

I have been told that in December and July canon employees are
entitled to a 50% discount on canon merchandise.

dchao's gear list:dchao's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a5100 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
FretNoMore Veteran Member • Posts: 7,729
Not likely

landscape lighter wrote:

I have been told that in December and July canon employees are
entitled to a 50% discount on canon merchandise. Is this true?

Maybe the occasional smaller discount but I doubt there is any general discount at all.

Depending on where you live this would interest the tax authorities. I know such a discount would be viewed as taxable benefits and considered part of your salary here, so there's no use having it.

jim clarke Regular Member • Posts: 419
Yes they have a employee purchase program

I am not sure what the exact % is but they do offer it!

Re: Yes they have a employee purchase program

I was looking for a definitive answer but it looks like I'm not gonna get it. Thanks anyway for your opinion and speculation.

Dennis_Wood Contributing Member • Posts: 985
Re: Yes they have a employee purchase program

landscape lighter wrote:

I was looking for a definitive answer but it looks like I'm not
gonna get it. Thanks anyway for your opinion and speculation.

That's probably because, like so many other endless threads of pointless speculation, NOBODY REALLY KNOWS.

and quite honestly, unless you're a Canon employee, why would you care?

Paul Cheang Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
Canon employee discount 15%
-- hide signature --

PC writes:

I believe most (99%) of the employees of any company most likely receive around 10-15% discount.

Paul

peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,786
could be

But, if so, it's probably 50% off of suggested list price, meaning somewhere around 10-15% below dealer cost. You probably don't even know the suggested list prices of most Canon products because they are rarely quoted. To be honest, I'm not sure Canon even uses them anymore. What you see quoted are "estimated street prices", which are much lower -- generally around 20% over dealer cost. I doubt that Canon employees can buy Canon products for 50% off estimated street, but I suppose it's possible.

When I was a Nikon USA employee in the 1990s, our discount was 50% off of suggested list. Suggested list at that time was 40% over dealer cost (dealer cost being the wholesale price that Nikon USA charged authorized Nikon retailers in the U.S.). Nikon still officially publishes suggested list prices, but they're hard to find, and they are no longer 40% over dealer cost. They're closer to dealer cost. What you see quoted in magazine reviews etc., however, is street price -- again, usually about 20% over dealer cost.

Nikon offered the same deal to employees of Nikon dealers -- i.e. if you worked in a camera store you could buy a Nikon camera for 50% off of suggested list. All the other camera companies worked about the same -- i.e. they offered their own employees discounts that amounted to about 10-20% below dealer cost, and they offered the same basic deal to camera store employees. I'd be surprised if anything has changed since then.

The upshot of all this is that if the street price of, say, an EOS 30D is $1499, then the dealer cost is probably about $1200 and the employee discount price is probably about $1000-$1050.

Please remember these are educated guesses based on my experience in the camera business a few years back. I wouldn't swear to it in court.

Re: could be

Thanks Eamon, that is a good amount of info. I appreciate it. No canon employees in here? or relatives of such?

Camphoneguy New Member • Posts: 7
Gone

It's been a while, but the program for employees of camera stores (if there's any left) is long over- ended late 2010. I got one of the last orders in- for a 60d with the 18-135mm lens. The discount was about 15% or so, maybe a tad higher. No, camera stores don't make 50% of the list price! Not close! My discount was less than the wholesale the boss paid- he'd have sold it to me at cost and I've seen those invoices. The days of that 50% margin from list ended long ago. In fact today, dealers have to kick in a little on the rebates as well- it's really cut throat which is why (one reason) that only the big boys and small town stores still exist. The store I was at closed the end of 2012- I sold the building my lab was in in 2009.

Camphoneguy's gear list:Camphoneguy's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM
Ed Halley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,122
Re: Gone

It's generally bad form to join a forum and then reply to a thread that has been idle for eight years.

-- hide signature --

[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] http://www.halley.cc/pix/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads