HOW TO SET UP- Hummingbird photography

Started Jun 24, 2006 | Discussions
OP Keith Rankin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,400
most welcome Scott :) (nt)
Thanks Steve, I know you

would have done it for me ;^ ) LOL.............hope you had a great long weekend!

Keith

Steve Bingham wrote:

Extremely well done - and time consuming. Take a bow.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com

jkbrophy New Member • Posts: 6
Re: HOW TO SET UP- Hummingbird photography

Keith, I really love your photos and appreciate the setup information you have posted. Thanks very much.

You have inspired me to start a series of photo sessions with the little jewels myself, so I have a couple of quick follow-up questions for you.

Background: I currently have a D200 and SB-600 Speedlight

as well as an older SB-24. I intend to use the SB-600 as the main strobe and purchase a few additional speedlights and hope to control them via aftermarket slave units.

1a Any recommendations on strobes that provide best bang for the buck for use as background lights/uplights/etc?
1b Any opinion on which slaves work best?

1c Some speedlights go down to 1/128 power in manual mode (vs the more typical 1/64). Do you think this would be useful in stopping hummer wing motion?

2) I noticed that you appeared to be using some sort of diffuser on some of the strobes. Which do you like and do you use them primarily on the Main light?

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble!

John

Mike Worley
Mike Worley Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
Now THIS thread . . .

. . . needs to be revived every once in a while.

Mike

StillLearning
StillLearning Veteran Member • Posts: 4,381
Re: Now THIS thread . . .

I used the technique Keith advised to catch this hummer in flight. Camera in manual mode at 1/250 and sb-800 flash set between 1/8 and 1/16 in manual mode with a 70-200 with 1.4E set at 105. During a thunderstorm. This is only the first of many to come. Thanks Keith.

StillLearning's gear list:StillLearning's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +11 more
StillLearning
Re: Yes, Tucson is a great place for HB's

Sierra Vista is even better. Miller Canyon unreal. I'm going back this Friday armed with some of the knowledge I've picked up from here. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more great shots to share.

jkbrophy

Man I thought this thread was dead long ago, LOL............ I will try to answer your questions the best I can

1a Any recommendations on strobes that provide best bang for the
buck for use as background lights/uplights/etc?

I really like the SB-26's, you can find them cheap, ebay is a good place to find or FM. approx $80 and they are a workhorse and dependable. They have the slave built it.

1b Any opinion on which slaves work best? SB-26's as stated have the slaves built in, so save some dollars

1c Some speedlights go down to 1/128 power in manual mode (vs the
more typical 1/64). Do you think this would be useful in stopping
hummer wing motion?

1/16th power stops them perfectly, and times I like a little blur and will shoot 1/8th to change things up

2) I noticed that you appeared to be using some sort of diffuser on
some of the strobes. Which do you like and do you use them
primarily on the Main light?

I dont use them very often but at times willhelp to difuse so i dont blow out the whites on their necks. I just move the lights in our out to nail the proper exposure..

Any time, hope that helps!

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble!

John

Your too kind Mike LOL!!!

Mike Worley wrote:

Mike

great progress there Gary, lookin good!!!!!

StillLearning wrote:

I used the technique Keith advised to catch this hummer in flight.
Camera in manual mode at 1/250 and sb-800 flash set between 1/8 and
1/16 in manual mode with a 70-200 with 1.4E set at 105. During a
thunderstorm. This is only the first of many to come. Thanks Keith.

Rajesh Gupta
Rajesh Gupta Regular Member • Posts: 186

Amazing work .......

Rajesh Gupta's gear list:Rajesh Gupta's gear list
Nikon D700
John_I Veteran Member • Posts: 6,364

Great advice Keith and, as I remarked in another msg, absolutely stunning images! You say addictive and I can now understand why. They are fascinating birds ... and to capture them as you have is a treasure! Still learning with D200, on board flash and D600 ... and now trying remote auto trigger when infrared beam is crossed! But, set up all done and waiting and the hummers are missing ... I guess that's the "patience" part A few recent ones at my blog. Thanks and Best Wishes!
John in Thunder Bay (Toronto)
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.blogspot.com

Yves P. Forum Pro • Posts: 18,664
I am quite impressed by this setup

How come I have missed this back in june ...

-- hide signature --

Yves P.
Share the Knowledge

PBASE Supporter

Some pictures I like:
http://www.pbase.com/yp8/root

Yves P.'s gear list:Yves P.'s gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,469
Nice! How many have you blinded?

hmmm

Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6
StillLearning
Re: Nice! How many have you blinded?

I haven't seen any flying into things or carrying a cane or wearing shades.;)
I only use low output 1/4 or lower.
--
http://www.pbase.com/stilllearning/inbox

dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Mike Worley wrote:

Mike

Yes it does even seven years later.

k2guy Regular Member • Posts: 439

Just found this thread and just started interest in Humming Birds. We put up a feeder a couple of days ago and have taken a couple of shots. Handheld using D7000 with Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. Shot in RAW (then cropped and converted to JPG) at f/7.1, 1/250 shutter speed and ISO100. Used a SB-800 camera mounted flash in TTL mode. I think this is a female Anna's humming bird. Please feel free to comment. I am anxious to try some of Keith's suggestions.

k2guy's gear list:k2guy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Canon PowerShot A580 Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +21 more
StillLearning

k2guy wrote:

Just found this thread and just started interest in Humming Birds. We put up a feeder a couple of days ago and have taken a couple of shots. Handheld using D7000 with Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. Shot in RAW (then cropped and converted to JPG) at f/7.1, 1/250 shutter speed and ISO100. Used a SB-800 camera mounted flash in TTL mode. I think this is a female Anna's humming bird. Please feel free to comment. I am anxious to try some of Keith's suggestions.

Very good start.  Keith really helped my brother and I back then.  Though I wearied after many pictures of the 2 species.  Looking to start up again using PB Einstein 640's and light modifiers like umbrellas or soft boxes.  Right now we are doing butterflies.  Here is some from the past.  I did still take some occasionally to make sure I didn't forget how.

dad_of_four Veteran Member • Posts: 8,474
Speedlight vs. Flash

lovEU wrote:

One stupid question left due to my Enlish skills - is there any difference between a "flash" and a "speedlight"? Any intention to point out something by using both the terms?

A flash is a generic term for any type of artificial electronic light as opposed to the ambient light or a continous light source.

Speedlight is the term used for the electronic flashes designed to fit into the hot-shoe of a camera. They are sometimes called flash guns.

Studio strobes are often shortened to Strobes.

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D5000 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads