Possible Fake EBay SanDisk Ultra II

Started May 26, 2006 | Discussions
Gary Allen Cambs UK Regular Member • Posts: 122
Possible Fake EBay SanDisk Ultra II

I may have just got the too good to be true bargin off ebay...

2GB SanDisk Ultra II (NEW) - Delivered for £28.99 (not buy it now) so had to wait until the last few seconds and place a bid - seller has 1900+ rating.

It arrived very quickly - next day - packaging looks real - card looks real until you compare it with a real one...

The performance under windows seem close - but It does not work in a Canon Ixus, Nikon D70 or D200

here are some pictures for you to compare the two

http://gwdesigns.smugmug.com/gallery/1495921/1/71682554

It could just be a faulty device - but I really suspect its fake..

If the seller does not reply by Tuesday I will post his address and Ebay ID on here as well as contacting SanDisk UK and Trading Standards.

Beware of Gift Horses...

Regards

Gary Allen

-- hide signature --

Gary Allen
GWDesigns

Walt Jennings Contributing Member • Posts: 983
Re: Possible Fake EBay SanDisk Ultra II

Fake Sandisk CF and SD cards for sale on eBay are a well known fact.

ferret Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Possible Fake SanDisk Ultra II

On your pictures it looks (to me) like there is another label under the 'fake'
card, or is it just the angle of pic.
Ferret

James Grove Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

Gary Allen Cambs UK wrote:

I may have just got the too good to be true bargin off ebay...

2GB SanDisk Ultra II (NEW) - Delivered for £28.99 (not buy it now)
so had to wait until the last few seconds and place a bid - seller
has 1900+ rating.

It arrived very quickly - next day - packaging looks real - card
looks real until you compare it with a real one...

SanDisk cards all have edge stamps, all are made in China, but the edge stamps are missing on the one card so to me that means a fake.

-- hide signature --
Dan FOx Forum Member • Posts: 92
Mine is fake too

Received my 2GB SanDisk today and did a quick test (continuous shooting with my D70). It was nowhere near as fast as my 1GB SanDisk.

I have just phoned SanDisk USA and they told me that they don't put a hologram label on their disks. Also, without a serial number on the side it is 100% fake.

Shutterfish New Member • Posts: 1
Lots of fake Sandisk cards on eBay at the moment

Yes there are fake Sandisk Ultra II cards being sold on eBay at the moment. It seems pretty rife.

I ordered two Sandisk 2GB Ultra IIs from two different UK suppliers on eBay. Both had very good feedback ratings and one was even a limited company. The items arrived promptly and the packaging looked very convincing. But on closer inspection it was clear both cards were fake. they looked similar to the ones posted here - the differences between these fakes and genuine Sandisk cards are subtle but you can tell if you look at the real thing alongside. Transfer speeds aren't what they should be and, most importantly, the lack of a serial number is a complete giveaway.

I returned both cards and got a full refund from the suppliers. I should have known better, the price was too good to be true and f course in such cases it usually is.

There's a lot of these knocking around on eBay at the moment it would seem, so buyer beware. Whether the sellers are knowingly selling fakes or got duped by their own suppliers, who knows. But steer clear.

Eugene Powers Forum Pro • Posts: 10,108
Re: Mine is fake too

2gb cards are slower than 1 gb cards of the same type and 4gb cards are slower than 2gb and so on. One of the sites on the net has tests on it.

-- hide signature --

Eugene

The only time a smaller sensor with the same pixel count is superior to a larger sensor (aka higher pixel density) is when you are focal-length limited.

Lee Jay

va1erian Regular Member • Posts: 117
Register your SanDisk !

Try to register your SanDisk card on the SanDisk website. Iff it has a real serial number, it will be registered. If you cannot register it, then it is probably a fake.

stealth pete Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Register your SanDisk !

ive just purchased one too:-( however what is going to be the real differance in the two they all must come from the same factory??
--

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=peterlea

hulla Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Register your SanDisk !

Nearly all the sandisk ultra cards on ebay are fake. If it has to be shipped from China, then it is almost certainly fake.

I bought a 128mb sd card from ebay a long time ago and it recently went bad. When I emailed Sandisk they asked me what the serial number was on the card. I gave them a number printed on the card but they said it wasn't the right number. They sent me a new card anyway (lifetime warranty) after I sent mine in.

Now that I think about it. I bet the card was not really Sandisk and I am surprised they sent me a new one. I guess 128mb cards are nearly worthless nowadays anyway.

OP Gary Allen Cambs UK Regular Member • Posts: 122

Well getting a full refund...

But I have found REAL Trancend 2GB (120x) which are faster in the D200 anyway for £37.00 from http://www.emartbuy.com/

They also have the 4GB and 8GB versions

I won't be buying anymore CF's from Ebay - don't normally have an issue with most things on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Gary Allen
GWDesigns

MegaHurtz New Member • Posts: 16

Don't feel bad, I recently bought 3 of the fake 2gb Ultra II cards off eBay. I just recently discovered they were fakes and I am trying to start the ball rolling on a refund. I ended up going to the local store and buying the real things instead, for an additional couple hundred dollars over what I paid on eBay, but at least I am getting the real thing and can trust the cards.

The tipoff for me was when I was timing the write speeds and comparing to my standard Sandisk 1gb, which ended up being significantly faster than all of the fakes. I was also getting some extremely noisy images, seemingly at random, and I suspect that this is why.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads