Best way to remove creases from canvas...

Started May 25, 2006 | Discussions
Richard Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,318
Best way to remove creases from canvas...

I have always used paper or muslin backgrounds but, I just received a painted canvas background that was shipped to me folded.

What is the best way to remove the creases that resuted from the folds? I have the background hanging from my background stand right now but, think that I will need to do more to remove the creases.

I have been thinking about steaming - but which side should I apply the steam to? The raw side or the painted side?

Any other ways you have solved this problem.

It is simple with muslin - I just toss the BG in the dryer with a damp towel and a couple of fabric softener sheets.
--

Retired Navy Master Chief Photographer's Mate - 30 years service. Combat Cameraman, Motion Picture Director and Naval Aircrewman. I have done considerable comercial photography including advertising, weddings and portraiture.

Lawrence Keeney
Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820
Re: Best way to remove creases from canvas...

I just received my first canvas background and I have the same problem, only mine is worse as my background is paiinted on both sides.

I would also like to find out how to store a paiinted canvas background. I think in my case, rolling it is out of the question because I have no good place to store a 10' liong roll.
--
http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Models/index.html

http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Photography/index.html

-- hide signature --

Lawrence

Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
p-phpto Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Simple!

Here's what I did & it works great.
Use a good steaming Iron.
The background should mounted(standing). Put the iron on the hotest setting
filled with water, & steam away. 2 or 3 steam bursts in 1 area removes
the creases fast.

DancePhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
A dedicated steamer helps

Although you could use an iron, it will take a long time and your arm will get very tired. The steam output of even the best iron pales compared to a steamer. I have 2 of them. One stays in the studio and the other is a ligh weight one that can go on the road.

Stay about 4-6" away from the painted side as you steam. You want to add just a little dampness to the cloth. If you get too close, you will wet the cloth. Start from the top and the weight of the fabric will help you pull the wrinkles out.

If you live in a humid climate, all you have to do is hang them for a day or two.

I store all of my muslins in matching sports bags that I picked up on sale at Wal-Mart. I shot a picture of each muslin and printed it at 2x3. I laminated the picture and attached it with a luggage tag strap to the outside of the bag. To find a specific BG, all I have to do it thumb through the tags while the bags are still sitting on the rack. Makes finding the right one very easy, especially for the ones that you don't use a lot.

PAR1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Thanks!
-- hide signature --

Paul
Save $5 at Smugmug with code JbAQETgNJFHts

OP Richard Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,318
Thanks for the advice - I purchased a travel steamer...

I figure I can also use this for my muslin backgrounds... There seem to be two varieties of steamers. Full size ones which cost $100-125 and travel steamers which are much less expensive. I opted for this travel steamer at $14 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4464702797&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
--

Retired Navy Master Chief Photographer's Mate - 30 years service. Combat Cameraman, Motion Picture Director and Naval Aircrewman. I have done considerable comercial photography including advertising, weddings and portraiture.

OP Richard Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,318
Supplier's recommendation

I asked Photooutlet, from whom I purchased the background, ho best to eliminate the creases. This was their reply.

"The best and easiest way to remove the creases is to roll up the canvas on a rod tightly and let it sit for a little while and then unroll it. It will take out all the creases from the shipping."

I am not neccessarily recommending it but, I will certainly try it first.
--

DancePhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Re: Supplier's recommendation

That might work if you live in a humid climate. If you live where it is dry, it's amazing how long canvas can keep in wrinkles.

Once you have the wrinkles out, storing them on a rod or tube will prevent almost all unsightly wrinkles. If you wad them up or fold them, like I do, you are stuck getting very good with a steamer.

j4m3z Regular Member • Posts: 107

One thing I was thinking of that I was wondering if anyone has tried it a wallpaper remover, they're like a steam but generally less expensive, $50 as apposed to $100. Any thoughts? Anyone try it?

-James
http://www.aaaarrrgggggg.com

Steven Lott Contributing Member • Posts: 638

even more simple is shallow DOF

and place the subject far enough from the background so the background is soft

-- hide signature --

Steven Lott
http://www.LottsPhoto.com/ProTips.htm

Sign-up for our FREE ProTips for Photographers News letter
http://www.lottsphoto.com/newsletter.html

Need a FREE color printer ???????
http://www.LottsPhoto.com/freeprinter.htm

Brian Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

I asked the manufacturer that made my backdrop the same question, and they told me to take my backdrop outdoors on a sunny day, hang it, and spritz the unpainted side with a spritz bottle filled with water...by the time it dries, the wrinkles will disappear. If not, re-spritz until they do which shouldn't take to long.

Haven't tried that since my neighbor is a seamstress, she lets me borrow her steamer. She makes drapery for windows.
--
If it's not broke, hit it again....

Shoot From The Hip New Member • Posts: 2

Now, THERE is a good idea!  wallpaper steamer for painted canvas folds.

KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,121

A zillion year old thread.  Try mixing 1:4 fabric softener and water and spray in on generously (unpainted side) while hanging at full weight.  I do this on muslins and the wrinkles fade almost instantly.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
woodyggg Contributing Member • Posts: 856
No one can answer that...

unless you tell us what type of paint was used.

woodyggg's gear list:woodyggg's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads