D30 Serial numbers??

Started Dec 11, 2001 | Discussions
Steve R Contributing Member • Posts: 540
D30 Serial numbers??

Does anyone know why some D30s have all numbers, and others start with a number but then have a letter?

My first D30 (last week) had a serial number of all numbers. I had to exchange it today for a new one, and this one has a number, then a letter(B), then numbers. Both of these are USA cameras, both from Canoga Cameras, a week apart.

Does anyone know the significance of the numbering scheme?

Thanks in advance. -Steve
--
Steven R

-- hide signature --

Steven R

Noldar Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: D30 Serial numbers??

The D30 serial numbering scheme is a combination of 4 hexadecimal prefix and 5 decimal numbers. The first four hex digits could range from 0000 to FFFF, hence the letters

If Canon could incorporate the serial numbering into the file numbering scheme of the D30 (thru a firmware upgrade) then duplicate file names would be avoided! It seems the 1D uses this file numbering system, and also takes into account the camera's serial number, so the numbering is different from one 1D to another 1D...!
-Arnold

Steve R wrote:

Does anyone know why some D30s have all numbers, and others start
with a number but then have a letter?

OP Steve R Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: D30 Serial numbers??

Arnold wrote:

The D30 serial numbering scheme is a combination of 4 hexadecimal
prefix and 5 decimal numbers. The first four hex digits could range
from 0000 to FFFF, hence the letters

Arnold

Thanks for the info, do you know what the first "4 hexadecimal prefix" stand for? From what I can I tell there is only a few D30s with a "b" in the second place?? the whole number is 1b280xxxx whereas my first one was 17280xxxx? So what does the "b" mean? anyone? Thanks! -Steven

If Canon could incorporate the serial numbering into the file
numbering scheme of the D30 (thru a firmware upgrade) then
duplicate file names would be avoided! It seems the 1D uses this
file numbering system, and also takes into account the camera's
serial number, so the numbering is different from one 1D to another
1D...!
-Arnold

Steve R wrote:

Does anyone know why some D30s have all numbers, and others start
with a number but then have a letter?

-- hide signature --

Steven R

Noldar Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: D30 Serial numbers??

I think the "B" doesn't really mean anything...it's just an increment! I've seen serials like these:

1235xxx, 1335xxx, 1425xxx, 1426xxx, 1536xxx, 1Axxx, 1Bxxx...so I think 1B is the latest in the series!!
-Arnold

Steve R wrote:

Thanks for the info, do you know what the first "4 hexadecimal
prefix" stand for? From what I can I tell there is only a few D30s
with a "b" in the second place?? the whole number is 1b280xxxx
whereas my first one was 17280xxxx? So what does the "b" mean?
anyone

flanker Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: D30 Serial numbers??

Arnold wrote:

I think the "B" doesn't really mean anything...it's just an
increment! I've seen serials like these:

That's right. In hexadecimal the count goes like that: 0123456789ABCDEF. Then it starts with 0 again incrementing the next position to the left in the same manner ... and so on. That's why you get different combinations of digits (0-9) and letters (A-F) in a serial number.

flanker

OP Steve R Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: D30 Serial numbers??

Thanks Arnold and Flanker for the info.-Steven
--Steven R

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads