Close-Up DIY

Started May 18, 2006 | Discussions
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Close-Up DIY

I had a very special occasion today in order to do a number of close-up shots quickly without any help from my studio equipment. So, I did it in 10 minutes to setup my shooting "environment." The subjects to be photographed are about 2 to 3 cm wide, which make my effort much easier. Here is what I did:

(1) Camera used: FZ-30 with 5T, 6T or both. A PL may also be used to reduce flash light intensity.

(2) Two cheap manual flashes, Sunpak DS-20 and Sunpak Digital Flash. Both have GN approximately 20.
(3) Some flash cables connect from my FZ-30 and the two Sunpak flashes.

(4) To setup a "softbox," I picked up a white plastic bag and added a white printer paper inside.

(5) To make sure I would have sufficient space for the subject being photographed, two mini tripods were added to the bottom of the plastic bag, and two shampoo bottles served as the front columns.

Here is the setup from its front side:

This is the top view:

Then, the flashes were placed to each side of the bag at an angle about 30 degree with the subjects (because some of them are reflective). A few quick shots were needed to determine exposure. The FZ-30, of course, was in the M mode. The following shows some results. Note that the color cast in some photos came from the non-pure white plastic bag.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
Dave In LA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,057
Re: Close-Up DIY

pretty nice for a quick improvised set up CK
--
Dave in NW Louisiana
‹(•¿•)›
FZee30, Tizzy 1,
Nikon TC-E17ED & 4T,
Elpro 2 &4, Sunpak 3eight3
http://www.iciclelanding.com/avidphil

LaRee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,944
Thank you C.K. (m)

I love seeing simple ingenuity at work. Actually the more simple the better I like it. The results from your set up are impressive. Just goes to show how far a little ingenuity will go. Thanks for sharing.
--
LaRee

LaRee's gear list:LaRee's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K20D Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +29 more
AmanitaM Veteran Member • Posts: 5,686

Hmm, just think what could be accomplished with a "tall kitchen garbage bag"! Low-tech solutions are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

tchuanye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,896

Nicely done CK.

Good use of day to day things! Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --
 tchuanye's gear list:tchuanye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 +10 more
linuxworks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,937

"quick, I need materials for a lightbox. what's within 10 feet of us and can be used? now, man, NOW!"

good post. flash still drives me nuts since I can't see it during setup like you can with constant-on lights. some people really swear by flash and get good results. but its a LOT easier with always-on (continuous) lights.

the down side with continuous lights was the cost and heat. but with fluorescents and smaller bases and sizes, AND manual white-bal, you can have cool running white-ish light that you can really use DURING composition and not only at exposure time. but I agree, its a luxury to have that, and 'in the rough' it seems flash modules can get you by, too

-- hide signature --
Ching-Kuang Shene
OP Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359

Bryan,

the down side with continuous lights was the cost and heat. but
with fluorescents and smaller bases and sizes, AND manual
white-bal, you can have cool running white-ish light that you can
really use DURING composition and not only at exposure time.

Continuous light, hot or cold, is good for soft shadow shots. It normally lacks the "flashy" touch of high intensity flash light. High key images are also a little difficult for continuous light. On the other hand, high intensity flash light may force the aperture to be f/16 or even smaller which exceeds the capacity of a consumer level digital camera's lens.

its a luxury to have that, and 'in the rough' it seems flash
modules can get you by, too

There are some good and low cost continuous light systems that are suitable for consumer digital cameras. These systems may consist of two hot light tubes each of which has a medium softbox mounted on a light stand. I guess the price is about $200 to $300. Its light intensity is low due to the size of the softboxes. In general, aperture can be around f/8 with shutter speed around 1/8 sec. The key problem is that if the bulbs do not have the same color temperature, white balance can be a big headache (e.g., one side white while the other greenish).

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
Revision Contributing Member • Posts: 828
The camera in the picture is a Nikon CP 4500...

connected to a SC 17 via an AS-E900

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads