105 mm f/2.8 vs 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Started Apr 30, 2006 | Discussions
ellakari New Member • Posts: 7
105 mm f/2.8 vs 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Thinking to buy one of those to macros:

Nikon Telephoto AF Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D or
Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Is the VR worth the money? Anyone knows if there are any other differences between those two lenses, other then price ofcourse?
Would be grateful to see some samples.
Also heard alot about the 60mm lens, great sharpness etc. which could
be an alternative.
My dilemma is that I cant decide what to buy....anyone has any suggestions?
Havent got any other lens then 50mm in my bag so far....

Thanks guys for advicing!

Ella

Dave Chambers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,700
Re: 105 mm f/2.8 vs 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

ellakari wrote:

Thinking to buy one of those to macros:

Nikon Telephoto AF Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D or
Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Is the VR worth the money? Anyone knows if there are any other
differences between those two lenses, other then price ofcourse?
Would be grateful to see some samples.

Hi Ella. I was about to buy the original 105 micro when Nikon announced the new VR version, so I waited to get the new one and I've not been disappointed. Apart from the obvious VR, the other major difference is in the use of the newly developed Nano-crystal coating on the back element to cut down on internal reflections from the sensor.

I have posted these before, but in case you didn't see them, here are a few shots from the new VR version of the lens ...

-- hide signature --

Dave (Sgt. Pepper), Epsom, England.
http://www.pbase.com/davecq

DamirM Regular Member • Posts: 245

I posted in another thread, got no response: what's the "feel" like on the focus ring on the new 105? Does it at all feel like a manual focus lens? Because I played with the 60mm yesterday and was surprised how nice the manual focus felt on it.

DamirM wrote:

I posted in another thread, got no response: what's the "feel" like
on the focus ring on the new 105? Does it at all feel like a manual
focus lens? Because I played with the 60mm yesterday and was
surprised how nice the manual focus felt on it.

I have the good fortune to own both Damir, and I would say that the feel of the manual focus ring is much the same on both. Both very smooth and precise.

The 105 is a much wider barrel of course, and at a full 3/4 of a turn from infinity to closest focus, the feel is very precise and the perception is that you have more control than the 60. The other difference is that the 105 has internal focusing, whereas the 60's barrel extends as you focus.

Personally, I love both lenses, but appreciate the extra distance from the subject that the 105 provides.
--

James Shum Contributing Member • Posts: 611

I don't have the new VR version yet. I had the experience with the old AF 105 2.8D. It was good in small things but really not so good on distance subject. I sold it 2 years ago and now using a Tamron 180. I am considering the new 105VR now.
James

James Shum's gear list:James Shum's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Sony RX10 III Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +15 more
OP ellakari New Member • Posts: 7

Great photos! Hm...very tempting to purchase that lens...the question is hows the 105mm vs 105 mm VR to work with and other differences like image quality? Thought to save some bugs not getting the VR but maybe its not worth it. About 300 dollars difference thou....

Vu Ho Regular Member • Posts: 143

I used to own the 60mm micro and it's a great length, but I found it to be on the short side. I currently own the 105mm VR micro and I think it's a great lens. The colors, contrast, sharpness and bokeh are wonderful. If you want it to be longer, add a teleconverter.

-- hide signature --
Digital UW Regular Member • Posts: 266
Any side-by-side comparisons?

Are there any side-by-side comparisons of these two lenses? I am especially interested in non-macro shots, as I think the old 105 is excellent for macro, but a bit soft on portraits and far subjects.

ellakari wrote:

Great photos! Hm...very tempting to purchase that lens...the
question is hows the 105mm vs 105 mm VR to work with and other
differences like image quality? Thought to save some bugs not
getting the VR but maybe its not worth it. About 300 dollars
difference thou....

I'm puzzled by that comment. Here in the UK, on the Nikon website, the old 105 is listed with a RRP of £780 whereas the new 105 VR is listed with a RRP of £600, so the new lens is actually cheaper.
--

OP ellakari New Member • Posts: 7

Well I know, checked the prices in Sweden (where I'm from) same as in England there the non VR is more expensive, but B&H lists the VR for $ 829.95 and the non VR lens for $ 539.95. So thats getting 290 $ less....dont know why the prices are so different from country to country at least for those lenses.

AlbieSky Veteran Member • Posts: 3,338
105 vr

I have it and like it. If you have the money, you will not be disappointed and no buyer's remorse.
--
D 7 0 + 1 8 - 7 0, 5 0 f 1.4, 1 0 5 mm V R, S B 6 0 0
P S E 4, N C 4.4, N V, 1 8 - 2 0 0 V R

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
WingHo Shum Regular Member • Posts: 330

by the way, the non vr one is discontinued.

Ho

Bill McClung
Bill McClung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,364

You will LOVE the Nikon 105mm AFS VR lens! I have had more fun with that lens than any other I have ever owned. Don't let anyone tell you the VR doesn't work for macro shots. I have hand-held some down to 1/10 second. If you would like to see some photos results from the 105mm VR, please visit my pbase gallery dedicated to that lens:

http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill/nikon_105mm_afs_vr_lens

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads