REALLY love the 105 Micro VR, but...

Started Apr 26, 2006 | Discussions
LuckyJacques Regular Member • Posts: 344
REALLY love the 105 Micro VR, but...

...I obviously need some practice with this. It always amazes me to see some of the great macro work done by Tod (tao.design) and others here. I guess I have a long way to go before I can even begin to come away with the compeling images I have seen from the likes of Todd, et al. Still, I am going to have a lot of fun working at it. Here are a few samples from today, though only one is could really be considered "macro":

One:
1/200 sec, f/3.3, ISO 100

Two:
1/320 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100

Three:
1/80 sec, f/5, ISO 100

Jon H Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: REALLY love the 105 Micro VR, but...

VERY Nice! I particularly like the composition and the "texture" of the second (non-macro) image of the junker cars.

Jon
--
Jon H.
Southern California, USA
---
Favorite hummingbird photos: http://www.bandhhorsecenter.com/hummingbirds
Growing pbase gallery at: http://pbase.com/onekcrane

Sven Hedlund Senior Member • Posts: 1,729
If you get the chance to return...

...to the junk car and compose carefully, I think you could get a few compelling macros of the flakes of rust and paint.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --
Joe Mondello Veteran Member • Posts: 3,615
Isn't this a terrific lens?

I am still getting the hang of mine, but have to say that I love the FOV and the fact that I can stop down and still get beautiful bokeh at macro distances.

Love the first pic! And the second one shows why this lens is so useful beyond the macro range.

Have fun!
--
Cheers,
Joe

Joe Mondello's gear list:Joe Mondello's gear list
Sony RX100
OP LuckyJacques Regular Member • Posts: 344
Good point, Sven...

I will go back there today. The sky was also overcast, so the lighting was nice and even. I had taken two pics of that car: one with matrix metering, shot aperture priority and one with spot (metered the rust), shot manual. The one you see here is the spot metered one, which was so much better than the matrix metered one. Only problem is that the gate into the yard was locked. Maybe I will throw on the TC 1.7 II E and shoot through the fence.

Best regards;
Jacques

Sven Hedlund wrote:

...to the junk car and compose carefully, I think you could get a
few compelling macros of the flakes of rust and paint.

Best regards,

Thanks, Jon...

My wife liked that one a lot as well. She even thought it worth having printed and framed. We'll see about that.

Best;
Jacques

It is INDEED awesome Joe...

...and I am planning to go out after work to shoot with it a bit more today.

Cheers;
Jacques

Joe Mondello wrote:

I am still getting the hang of mine, but have to say that I love
the FOV and the fact that I can stop down and still get beautiful
bokeh at macro distances.

Love the first pic! And the second one shows why this lens is so
useful beyond the macro range.

Have fun!
--
Cheers,
Joe

tao.design Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
hey Jacques

Hey Jacques,

I really enjoy the tone of this first one. The color and contrast is very pleasing, and the overall character is great. It reminds me of fireworks.

As it happens, I just picked up this lens. Hopefully I'll get a chance to give it a workout this weekend. I'm just through my first week of evaluation, but it seems like a great lens.

Any new samples from the lens?

Todd

Dennis_Josiah Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: hey Jacques

I have the 105 non VR.

I read in one of the forums that you have to switch off the VR for Macro work --is that true?

Then what's the worth of the lens over the non VR's?
--
Dennis
http://www.dchimages.com
'Seeing with the light of the world.' Gen 1:4 - Matt 5:14

tyoung Veteran Member • Posts: 8,375
Re: hey Jacques

Dennis_Josiah wrote:

I have the 105 non VR.

I read in one of the forums that you have to switch off the VR for
Macro work --is that true?

Then what's the worth of the lens over the non VR's?

It isn't necessary to switch off VR for macro subjects unless the camera is mounted on a tripod but VR will become less effective as the magnification increases.

-- hide signature --
 tyoung's gear list:tyoung's gear list
Nikon D200
tao.design Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
No, VR works for close up photography

I read in one of the forums that you have to switch off the VR for
Macro work --is that true?

No, that is not true. VR continues to work right to lifesize magnfication -- the catch is that the effectiveness declines as magnification ratio increases.

Todd

Windypundit Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: No, VR works for close up photography

Here's what I heard: VR works against small changes in the direction the lens is pointed, but does nothing about changes of the location of the camera. So, if you twist the camera a fraction of a degree during the exposure, VR has you covered, but if you jolt the entire camera up a fraction of a millimeter, you're on your own.

A change in camera location is photographically equivalent to an equal sized movement of the subject in the opposite direction. If you're shooting at some distance---landscapes, architecture, or even events---the equivalent of a millimeter or less of subject motion won't be noticable. But when you're shooting bugs and flowers, even a fraction of a millimeter causes blur.

At least that's what I've been told.

-- hide signature --

-- Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads