Problem with Aperture Blades in New 105VR Lens

Started Apr 20, 2006 | Discussions
PhotoGearJunkie Regular Member • Posts: 212
Problem with Aperture Blades in New 105VR Lens

I just got my new 105VR Lens, S/N 200841. When I was checking it out, I noticed that one of the aperture blades is a bit off. When the blades are fully closed, and at f32 and f22, the aperture doesn't quite make a circle shape. It looks more like a diamond shape, since on of the aperture blades doesn't seem to close the correct amount. It isn't a total diamond shape, but it isn't a round circle either, it's kind of in between.

The lens appears to be very sharp, though not as sharp as the 70-200mm VR Lens from about 6ft to 20ft (I didn't test beyond this distance.)

Should I be concerned about this? I haven't had much luck lately with my new lenses

Thanks for your help!

PhotoGearJunkie's gear list:PhotoGearJunkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Goyne Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Problem with Aperture Blades in New 105VR Lens

Hi,

doesn't quite make a circle shape. It looks more like a diamond
shape

Mine looks the same

The lens appears to be very sharp

That's the main thing

Should I be concerned about this?

No

I haven't had much luck lately with my new lenses

It's a pity to hear that, but don't worry about your new lens, just enjoy it.

Regards
--
------------------------------------------
apologies for my poor english

OP PhotoGearJunkie Regular Member • Posts: 212
Can other 105VR Lens Owners Please Confirm This...

1. Are there any other 105VR owners that can confirm the fact that the aperture blades don't make a perfectly round circle, and that it's more of a diamond shape?

2. Also, shouldn't this lens be noticably sharper than the 70-200mm VR Lens?

3. Lastly, has anyone else had problems with the IS not setting properly? About 1 in 5 times, the IS didn't set correctly, and I'd have a blurry top and bottom, or blurry sides. (This blurriness is very slight, but when images are viewed at 100%, it's obvious.)

Thanks again!

PhotoGearJunkie's gear list:PhotoGearJunkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: Can other 105VR Lens Owners Please Confirm This...

PhotoGearJunkie wrote:

2. Also, shouldn't this lens be noticably sharper than the
70-200mm VR Lens?

No, look at the MTF charts of both lenses, they are fairly similar. Close enough to where I would not expect one to be "noticeably" sharper (and I assume you are talking about accutance not something more ethereal).

70- 200

3. Lastly, has anyone else had problems with the IS not setting
properly? About 1 in 5 times, the IS didn't set correctly, and I'd
have a blurry top and bottom, or blurry sides. (This blurriness is
very slight, but when images are viewed at 100%, it's obvious.)

Don't expect VR (remember, this is Nikon land) to work perfectly all of the time. You don't state explicitly what shutter speed you are using - obviously the faster the shutter speed, the better chance you have obtaining a motion free image, with or without VR.

-- hide signature --
 rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Oh, and one other thing

The MTF chart for the 70-200 is for 70 mm, the one at 200 is slightly worse. So I expect both lenses to be pretty similar at 100 mm.

-- hide signature --
 rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
quickclick Regular Member • Posts: 167
Mine is not perfectly round either...

But, all the blades seem to move to the same relative position. There are very small corners at the junction of each pair of adjacent blades; so, I can not say the shape is perfectly round.

I am very happy with the lens sharpness, colors, and bokeh. The bokeh is very much like my 70-200 VR. Maybe a little less wispy and/or ethereal.

Cheers,
--
Visionary Imagery, inc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads