which fast zoom to get? help me

Started Mar 17, 2006 | Discussions
Raoul Oscar Regular Member • Posts: 189
which fast zoom to get? help me

I don't understand many things about constant aperture lenses, so far I've only used slow superzooms

I like Tamron, here are the considerations:

SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

I would love more zoom, but for Tamron's I only found these.

Thanks
--
Ko-ni-ca Mi-nol-ta Dy-nax 5-D
Ca-non Re-bel X-T

Many threads/replies stopped after my reply!

Darwun D Solus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,664
Re: which fast zoom to get? help me

Raoul,
What lens do you use now and what is the purpose of the new "fast" zoom lens?
Do you want it to compliment your existing lens or is it for a spacific purpose?

I think many in the forum will be willing to help but a little more information may be necessary.
Darwin

OP Raoul Oscar Regular Member • Posts: 189
more information here

Hi, thanks!

Ok, right now I have the kit lens, Tamron 18-200 lens, and Tamron 70-300mm lens (the 18-200mm created huge redundancy )

I need the fast aperture for low light, not for creating shallow DOF. Like shooting indoor parties, sports (I can get close), etc.

And price is also a big factor between the choices. I wouuld be more than happy to get the cheapest wide or semi=wide zoom with f/2.8. I don't mind a little stepping back and forth to get the frame.

But a 50mm 1/7 is too difficult for my use, it has very narrow FOV, and the f/1.7 is very difficult to focus too. I prefer zoom for flexibility, and f/2.8 is fast enough, I don't mind using ISO3200

-- hide signature --

Ca-non Re-bel X-T

bossie Contributing Member • Posts: 602
it's not a tamron ...
 bossie's gear list:bossie's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +4 more
Craig Gillette Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Re: Buy both

Then you'd have more redundancy. No way we can help with this - you have to know what portion of the range you need most and cover it. The 28-75 could potentially be used on a full frame camera but that's not likely a valid consideration. then again, I'm not sure why you are having such trouble with the 50mm.

Adam Benn Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Buy both

If it were me I'd definately get the wide zoom one you listed.

However, I use my 50 1.7 all the time and have no problems with focusing. Perhaps try setting to spot focusing instead of wide or multi-segment. Then, when shooting spot focus first, and then re-frame if required.

Last week I had a chance to put a 24mm f2.8 Minolta on my 5d, and really liked it. Going to keep mt eye out for one.

Adam Benn's gear list:Adam Benn's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
OP Raoul Oscar Regular Member • Posts: 189
problem with 50mm:

inever tried the minolta one.

But on my Canon, f1.8 has very shallow DOF, so it's hard to reframe after focus lock. I also take many pictures in narrow space, so I cannot step back most of the time.

I'm just considering to get these zooms to complement my collection, as I currently don't have any fast lens.

I used to have a 50mm Canon, but now I sold all my canon gear.
--
Ca-non Re-bel X-T

Craig Gillette Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Re: problem with 50mm:

The depth of field would be the same although I suppose one could get someone to crunch the actual numbers comparing a 1.7 on a 1.5 crop factor versus a 1.8 on a 1.6 crop factor, etc. It really does come down to which part of the range you'd need most. Is the new 17-50 even available yet?

If it were me, I'm in a situation where my 28-105 isn't as good as it could be but I don't have anything wider, so I'd probably go to the 17-50 first - if it performs as well as the others. The 17-35 isn't constant aperture which is less an issue for me than the zoom range itself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads