e300 test mode iso 50,60,80...

Started Mar 13, 2006 | Discussions
Jelomy55 New Member • Posts: 13
e300 test mode iso 50,60,80...

I'm not sure if accessing this mode is a good thing but I messed with it for about an hour and everything still seems to work fine.

Sorry about the bad pictures, it is 2:30am and i have class at 8:00am oops!

Iso 50:

Iso 100:

Check Exif if you need more convincing**

First you need to get to the diagnostics screens
As others have posted:
1.open CF door
2.press 'play' and 'ok' button at the same time and then release them

3.then on the 4 button keypad press 'up' 'down' 'left' 'right' press the shutter button and then the 'up' button again.

at this point you should see a screen that says "page 1" and a bunch of other stuff.

Now for the fun stuff (a little unscientific aswell):

1.To get to the Test Mode goto page 3 by pressing the 'iso' button, it should now indicate "page 3"

2. Then press random buttons along with the 'ok' button until the "Test" screen pops up. (you'll know it when it does and it will). Once you have gotten the test screen to pop up once all you need to do is press "ok" and you will go back to it.
-------------------------------------

So far I have found that I can get the camera into iso=50, 60, 80, 125, 160, 250, 320, 500, and 640. and when you close the CF door those setting are retained until you change the iso value you can even turn the camera off and it will stay.

To get ISO 50 for example scroll to 'prg 10' and then press 'ok' it will flash on the screen and then shut the CF door and viola usable ISO 50 until you change iso. To get other iso values goto 'prg 10' and then just go over to item and change that value to 1=iso60,2=iso80 and so on.

Obviously this is not what you would want to be doing while out taking pictures but if a situation calls for a very low ISO there ya go:)

There are a lot of other things in there (most do nothing) but there is a complete reset by holding certain buttons but who knows how much of a reset "full reset" is so i wont provide that one.

This goes to show you the the firmware is there from the E-500 as far as iso but deactivated.

Enjoy!

mike.b Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: e300 test mode iso 50,60,80...

2. Then press random buttons along with the 'ok' button until the
"Test" screen pops up. (you'll know it when it does and it will).

Can you be a little more specific?

nick_rx Regular Member • Posts: 137

i got iso 64 hehehe, strange

nick_rx Regular Member • Posts: 137

click the flash, wb, file , delete, info and all the play, menu, + - , af, iso, metering, shutter button and get back to iso button and then press ok.. try this a few times using random combinations... bottom line is that before you press ok you should press the iso button so that you can be on page 3.

cool stuff... thanks to the thread starter.

OP Jelomy55 New Member • Posts: 13

After many button press combos (very boring) I found that I can get to "test mode" by pressing:

1.exposure compensation, then AF, then ISO, and then the shutter and ok button at the same time.
If that doesnt work then try

2. Exposure compensation, metering, then ISO, then shutter and ok buttons at the same time.

My camera seems to switch between these two but one or the other always works. Tried about 30 times without noticing a very good pattern soo but at most it should take 2 tries so that is good enough for me.

Please post your prg/item combos and what they get you if possible.

Jeremy,

dereklam New Member • Posts: 22

is that mean E-500 can not use iso 50?

dereklam's gear list:dereklam's gear list
Sony a7

The e-500 does not have a ISO 50 setting normally but who knows this may work for that camera aswell if someone wants to give it a try.

So far 13 total ISO settings have been found on e300 which is better than the 5 Oly gave us.

Jeremy,

i would give it a try when i get home. how is the image quality for iso 50? is it better than iso 100?

Sony a7
MrForgetable Regular Member • Posts: 259

it works! but i was just wondering if it is native ISO 50/64/etc or is it just like ISO boost except the other way?? because on the canon 1Ds mkII, the image quality suffers slightly and there is less dynamic range than ISO 100.
--
olympus e-300
i use a mac.

Honestly ISO 100 always looks great to me with no visble noise at reasonable levels of zoom however I took the original pictures that i took last night and increased the size equally (400% in Photoshop CS2) and then cropped them.

As you can see there is a significant difference in the transition from the black part of the frame to the black matting with the ISO 100 image compared to the ISO 50 which keeps the black much more natural even at this extreme zoom.

Props to Olympus for giving me ISO 50. I love it so far

Jeremy,

iso 50 look nice to me. really want to go home and give it a try. thanks!

Sony a7

And for those who like side by side:

The quality also held up just fine when I used Photoshop to make the ISO 50 image the same brightness/contrast as the ISO 100.

Jeremy,

BorisK1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Thanks for posting this!

The ISO 50 shot looks underexposed though - at least a stop. What metering mode did you use?

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6
Kleeks13
Kleeks13 Regular Member • Posts: 336

thanks jeremy and all for your posting and technical work. Live in the US Southwest, I am off to take a picture of a building and today's sun is brutal, I could use ISO 50....will post later my experiences.
--
Kleeks

Kleeks13's gear list:Kleeks13's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Re: Thanks for posting this!

For my shots last night center weighted metering was used.

I did some more test shots today which to me look like ISO 50 and 100 are about the same in every way (Dynamic range, color tones...) except RGB noise in which case the ISO 50 has less.

The test shots were taken under these conditions:
-Tiff (thus not posting them)
-f/8.0
-150mm
-Auto WB
-ISO 50/100
-Anti-shock used on both
-ESP
-ISO 50=1/40th
-ISO 100=1/80th
-Manfrotto Tripod

BorisK1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Okay, I looked at EXIF, I see

from it that you used manual mode, right?

The reason I asked, was I was wondering if the camera metering still works in ISO 50 mode. Basically, if you used any mode but "M", would the exposure time be twice as long for ISO 50?

From your tests though, it's apparent that the ISO setting actually changed, not just the number in EXIF (because the ISO 50 shot looks darker).

Thanks again! This is a very good find for things like landscapes.

Boris

Jelomy55 wrote:

For my shots last night center weighted metering was used.
I did some more test shots today which to me look like ISO 50 and
100 are about the same in every way (Dynamic range, color tones...)
except RGB noise in which case the ISO 50 has less.

The test shots were taken under these conditions:
-Tiff (thus not posting them)
-f/8.0
-150mm
-Auto WB
-ISO 50/100
-Anti-shock used on both
-ESP
-ISO 50=1/40th
-ISO 100=1/80th
-Manfrotto Tripod

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6
new8080 Senior Member • Posts: 1,888
Anyone try this on a E-1? - nt
-- hide signature --

One of the B&H 6

PlantNerd Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Anyone try this on a E-1? - nt

Very interesting hack thanks very much to the poster
gives my E300 a new feature that I can use.

Has anyone tried this on E500, E1 or E330?

Thanks again mate for posting this you are a legend
also dont sweat the 8am classes I missed alot with no ill effect.

-- hide signature --

E threehundred Camedia seven seventy

jscott Senior Member • Posts: 2,253
Re: Anyone try this on a E-1? - nt

PlantNerd wrote:

Very interesting hack thanks very much to the poster
gives my E300 a new feature that I can use.

Has anyone tried this on E500, E1 or E330?

Thanks again mate for posting this you are a legend
also dont sweat the 8am classes I missed alot with no ill effect.

The E-1 will go into the diognostic mode by the open the CF door, press playback and OK simultanesously, up, down, left right, shutter release, up proceedure, but I haven't had any luck beyond that.

Regards,
Scott

-- hide signature --

As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free

• Tom Petty

mike.b Regular Member • Posts: 225

Jelomy55 wrote:

2. Exposure compensation, metering, then ISO, then shutter and ok
buttons at the same time.

Just tried that combo on the E500 and got a screen that says "Test" at the top. Then there are two parameters that can be changed: "Prg" and "Item". I'm not going to mess with this screen!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads