Is it worth the extra money 20D vs 30D ?

Started Mar 8, 2006 | Discussions
Wirelezz Regular Member • Posts: 289
Is it worth the extra money 20D vs 30D ?

i'm just in the process buying an Canon and i now can get a 20D or wait till next wek sometime for a 30D ?

I'm not wurried about 2.5" display, I'm more concerned about speed of shutter and life time on shutter, or focusing isues.
Ill be using prime F1.4 lenses.
any advice?

-- hide signature --
Juli Valley Forum Pro • Posts: 54,432
Get the new one.

I think it has enough pluses to make it a nice upgrade.
--
Juli
http://www.pbase.com/julivalley/galleries
Canon FiveDee, 2oD, Canon Gee3, and Canon S7o.

Vance Zachary Veteran Member • Posts: 5,168
In your situation...

with 30D being available in a week or so, I would get the 30D.

20D (I have used one now for a year and a half) is one fine camera but 30D shows promise to be even better.

30D has some very nice refinements that should make your photographing even more enjoyable. Spot metering, iso in viewfinder, ISO in 1/3 stop incrememnts, probably refinements to the AF system, and on and on.

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
Re: Is it worth the extra money 20D vs 30D ?

Just my opinion but the 20D (which I don't own) is a lot of camera for the money. If the "additional" features associated with the 30D doesn't turn you on then by all means save your money and get a 20D.

From the standpoint of static focus accuracy, the probability of getting a perfect 20D is just as likely for a 30D. Now, from the standpoint of AI servo it is highly probable the 30D will outperform the 20D. You (and only you) must decide what performance parameters are important.

BTW, the reason I didn't get a 20D is because it did not represent enough of an upgrade from the 10D to gain my interest. I have a 10D and the AF is perfect (well, better than 1/3 DOF); in fact I prayed my 1DmkII's AF accuracy would be as good as the 10D (and it was).

Another factor for you to consider, new 10D bodies are available from B&H Photo; they only cost $800. Compared to the 20D, at ISO 100 the 10D has lower noise, equal noise at ISO 200, and at higher ISOs the 20D beats the 10D. The 10D at $800 is a LOT of bang for the buck.

Again, it boils down to listing your priorities and then deciding what camera best supports the majority of the "important" requirements. For example, if shooting wildlife is VERY high on your priority list a 1DmkII may the camera you need. If group photography is your thing then a 5D or 1DsII may be the camera you need. More than likely, depending on the lenses in your bag, the 20D (or 30D) will suffice for 95 percent of the photo opportunities you encounter.

I don't understand your "prime f/1.4 lenses"; there is only one that I'm aware of. FWIW, the 17-40 on the 10D/20D/30D is one heck of a performer for landscape photography.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian, Pbase Supporter

http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Wm. Bates Veteran Member • Posts: 4,351
Here is another vote for the 30D

I really think the 20D is a great camera. I have only briefly played with a 30D and it is even a greater camera. The 30D is even more refined. The few added features really do make your photography easier and therefore better. Spot metering, 1/3 stop ISO adjustment, RGB Histogram alone are worth the extra dollars. Toss in the much more usable and higher resolution LCD screen, higher shutter life and the bigger buffer and you have pretty much a no brainier.

Go with the 30D.
--
Bill
Taking It One Day At a Time

http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill
'The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.' Unknown
'Every man dies; but, not every man lives' Braveheart
'Sometime the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't' Little Big Man

murraypaul Regular Member • Posts: 181

Wirelezz wrote:

i'm just in the process buying an Canon and i now can get a 20D or
wait till next wek sometime for a 30D ?
I'm not wurried about 2.5" display, I'm more concerned about speed
of shutter and life time on shutter, or focusing isues.
any advice?

It really depends on what the price difference is, and what that money is worth to you. At the moment in the UK the 30D hasn't arrived yet, and the pre-order prices are £1000 compared to getting a 20D now for £750. Hard to justify that price difference.

misha Forum Pro • Posts: 18,768

J A K wrote:

I don't understand your "prime f/1.4 lenses

Well, there's the 50/1.4, 35/1.4L, 24/1.4L, and the APS Sigma 30/1.4.

I'm a bit surprised by your assessment of the focus on your 10D (better than 1/3 DOF). Canon claims as an improvement in the 20D 1/3 DOF - but only with 2.8 and faster and only the central high-sensitivity AF point. Does it mean that the 20D only has better AF on average, while individual copies of the 10D can outperform the standard for the 20D?
--
Misha

RLJSlick
RLJSlick Contributing Member • Posts: 628

I say if you have the money, go with what's new! Sure the 10D and the 20D are great cameras, I have the 10D and it's great, but the 30D does have some great new features that I can't wait to get my hands on. I know you said the 2.5" diplay isn't important to you, but I had a hard time making out anything in that tiny display. I'm also looking forward to the ability to use the new EF-S lens, that 1.6 muliplyer has always felt like a crunch to me and being able to use a lens that is design for that 1.6 is gonna be big for me, since I do a lot of wide angle shots.

The 30D has that new 100,000 cycle shutter durability, so that should be big for you. You won't regret it. I personally can't wait.

Wirelezz wrote:

i'm just in the process buying an Canon and i now can get a 20D or
wait till next wek sometime for a 30D ?
I'm not wurried about 2.5" display, I'm more concerned about speed
of shutter and life time on shutter, or focusing isues.
any advice?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 10D, Elan II, EOS 3, G1, EOS IX, 30D(on order)
Promaster SystemPro 1 Tripod, Canon i9100 Printer
http://www.pbase.com/rljslick

DMakogon Regular Member • Posts: 291

Looks like the majority of replies here are from people already owning a Canon body. For a slightly different perspective, I am just acquiing my first one (a 30D), moving from a Sony F717 that has served me very well over the past 3.5 years. I think the 20D would have been more than enough for me to learn with. However, because of a very nice CSR at Amazon who felt the need to apologize for the 30D+lens order confusion, I received $150 off the body, for a $1249 cost. For the $130 difference, I thought it would be worth it. If it were $1399, I would have gone with the 20D (it's a hobby for me, and the hobby budget takes a backseat to my computer equipment expenses).

Another thought: Canon typically runs rebates in April and October, if you're into the rebate thing. If the 30D is on the rebate list this time, and they do another triple rebate thing, you should be able to get up to $300 off (that's what the 20D rebate was in October). They may or may not offer the rebate on the 20D, since that's a phased-out model. All things considered, that would give you a 30D for as little as $1100 if bundled with 2 accessories, vs. about $1120 for the 20D.

David

caveman_lee Regular Member • Posts: 215
Wait and get the 30D (nt)

Wait and get the 30D (nt)

Joe Buster Contributing Member • Posts: 617

yes it is IMO
not that much difference in price

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,163
I would

If I didn't already have the 20D, and was upgrading from another digicam, I would definitely get the 30D. The only reason to get the 20D would be if you're really intent on saving money, and you're able to buy a used one at a very good price.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
Bakul Vyas Senior Member • Posts: 1,717
Let me put it this way...

I had D Rebel for two years and at present I do not have any camera. So I am in market, ready to buy a camera, just like you.

If, I knew specs of 30D, six months back, I would have bought 20d at that time. But now, since it is a mater of few weeks only, I will buy 30D.

-- hide signature --

Bakul Vyas

OP Wirelezz Regular Member • Posts: 289
I did it !!

Thanx for all the replies.
Well the 20D is now avaible and 30D is not.
I had to go with the 20D.

I have 21 days to excanhge so if it shows up here in 21 days i will exchange to 30D. I paid 1440$ canadian and i think the 30D is 200 more.
We will see what happens.
I also got the 50MM F1.4 and the 70-200 F2.8 L ,both usm.
I sold all my Nikon d70 stuff and find this pretty darn solid.
As you can see i went from 10D to D70 to Mistaking Sony R1 now 20D.

My conern is that when i shutter at 30 seconds i noticed NO redpixels.
But at ISO 1600 at 15 seconds i also did not see any dots on the black picture.

But when i zoom in my photo program i can see them when its 80% zoomed bigger then original. But they are very small, also my battery was not fully charged,

I mainly take snap shots here and there but overall Kids pictures in the Gym playing basket ball.

No for taking kids playing basket ball in the gym , i hope my 20d is good enough.
I'm not wurried about outer LCd, my main thing is NoiZ@ hi iso or something.

-- hide signature --

Going to buy a 20D or 30D Returning my SONY DSC-R1.
http://www.pbase.com/canon___10d
http://www.pbase.com/canon__10d

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,163
Re: I did it !!

Wirelezz wrote:

Thanx for all the replies.
Well the 20D is now avaible and 30D is not.
I had to go with the 20D.
I have 21 days to excanhge so if it shows up here in 21 days i will
exchange to 30D. I paid 1440$ canadian and i think the 30D is 200
more.

It's your decision, but if it took only C$200 to could trade my 20D on a 30D, I would not hesitate for even a moment. I've just checked with the store where I have a "special relationship" and get the best price, and it would cost me C$725+tax on top of the trade to get the 30D. That's too much for what I think is the likely improvement, but C$200 is a no-brainer.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II

misha wrote:

J A K wrote:

I don't understand your "prime f/1.4 lenses

Well, there's the 50/1.4, 35/1.4L, 24/1.4L, and the APS Sigma 30/1.4.
I'm a bit surprised by your assessment of the focus on your 10D
(better than 1/3 DOF). Canon claims as an improvement in the 20D
1/3 DOF - but only with 2.8 and faster and only the central
high-sensitivity AF point. Does it mean that the 20D only has
better AF on average, while individual copies of the 10D can
outperform the standard for the 20D?
--
Misha

Misha, thanks for the wake-up call on the f/1.4 lenses, I forgot about the 35 and 24 mm lenses.

My individual copy of the 10D is superb. At the time I bought the 10D there were so much speculation about AF problems that I bought three bodies and tested them all. Of the three bodies I tested one was off by a full DOF (well almost up to one DOF), the second body was around .5 DOF to .6 DOF in error and the third one, the one I kept was so close to zero it was hard to measure. I would come in from both near and far focus and the "good" body was always on the money (i.e. less than 1/3 DOF error). Anyway, I kept the best performing body from the standpoint of AF even though it had a "hot pixel" (which I remove on the rare occasion when it can be seen). Right or wrong I felt good AF was more important than a "hot pixel" and I've never considered having Canon mapping out the "hot pixel".

Regards,

Congratulations and have fun with the 20D. (NT)

"NT" means no text.

mamajek Regular Member • Posts: 159

When you look at the list of new features you can see many have made their way down from the EOS-1 series or 5D.

2.5" LCD
Picture Style
4-Step Battery Level
Spot Metering
ISO settings in 1/3 stop increments
ISO in viewfinder
Improved Shutter Release
Single-Shot AE/AF lock retained for subsequent shots
Semi Pro-Quality Shutter, 100,000 cycles
Switchable high/low speed continuous shooting
Improved folder management with up to 9,999 images in each folder
Switchable RGB/Brightness Histogram
Display AF frame and File sizes on info screen
Auto noise reduction for long exposures
Magnified view Custom Function
Separate FE icon in the viewfinder
Direct Printing
Display for image transfer failure using the WFT-E1A

First and Currently Only for the 30D
Fastest startup time 0.15 seconds
Software-Only Auto Rotate
Error Code readout on back screen with countermeasures help
Direct Image Transfer using PTP

Better From 20D
New Xenon tube Flash for increase service life
AF precision has been fine tuned from the 20D
30 Frame Large/Fine JPEG burst, up from 23 frames
11 RAW frame burst, up from 6
Improved recovery from Auto Power Off, Shutter, and now Playback button,
Menu Button, or AE Lock Button
Lower introductory price than 20D

-- hide signature --

Cal Dawson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
For a couple of hundred more...

trade it in get the 30D...
--
Cal

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity....

http://funshots.smugmug.com/

ed rader Veteran Member • Posts: 8,158
i bought the 20d yesterday............

for $1091, which is probably $300 cheaper than the debut price of the 30d.

if all things were equal, sure, i would prefer the 30d. but they aren't.

i have never been one to buy a product when it first hits the market and the 20d has had the bugs worked out of it.

i am upgrading from the 300d and as far as the 30d is concerned i don't know what i will be missing :).

ed rader

-- hide signature --

'One often has mixed feelings about relatives, but few people could identify serious problems in their relationships with dogs.'

-- Anonymous

ed rader's gear list:ed rader's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads