Help me: I'm addicted to this Lomo-style look! [8 images]

Started Mar 3, 2006 | Discussions
owenb Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
Help me: I'm addicted to this Lomo-style look! [8 images]

Hi,

I was messing around with some of my favourite processes and actions on Photoshop, trying to come up with a combination that both pleased my eye for oversaturation, and the Lomo-style shots you find in places like Flickr, and after I put together something that really floated my boat, I'm frighteningly hooked. For the last three days all I've done is go through my back-catalogue of shots - some that I'd already processed, some that were not quite technically good enough, some that should have been binned in the first place, and giving them a new lease of life.

Because the process blurs the edges, blows the highlights and the colours and generally messes them up, I've found slightly messy and imperfect framing seems to work really well, although having done around 100 of them now, shots that aren't too busy and have simple focal points work the best.

Here are a few of my favourites: what do you think? I suspect real Lomo/Holga shots aren't quite like this, but I really like the look the effect creates, and at the moment I'm utterly addicted!

Cheers,
Owen

owenb's gear list:owenb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
TartarFan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,139
Re: Help me: I'm addicted to this Lomo-style look! [8 images]

Lomo Anonymous meets Wednesday at Noon..

B.Y.O.Nikon
--
TartarFan
http://www.TARTARFOOTBALL.COM
http://jsimages.smugmug.com

PhotoFly Regular Member • Posts: 105

Those are awesome shots! I see so many of those shots on flickr and have to ask how you did it?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meepfly

jen_83 New Member • Posts: 15

these are some of the most interesting photos i've seen posted on this forum in a while. there's something about the colors in the 6th, with the broken windows, that's really amazing. great job.

jen

randall2 Regular Member • Posts: 255
  1. 1 & #2..... WOW

please teach us how to do this!
--

-randy

KScott Regular Member • Posts: 235

Great work!

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,615
Re: Help you? I want to try some of what you're having!

Owen,

Those are fantastic! I especially like the man crossing the street, and the guy in the pub. I think I tried a Lomo-style action that I downloaded many months ago. It was okay, but didn't punch up the saturation and contrast the way yours does. Yours reminds me of cross-processed film prints. Great work!

If you're willing to share your addiction... er... the action or the steps, I'd be grateful. I can also understand why you'd want to keep such a unique look for yourself as well.

Hmmm...I may go hunting for cross-processing actions. I'm sure there are many actions already out there to mimic that look.

• Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Davesimage Senior Member • Posts: 1,865
Re: Help you? I want to try some of what you're having!

That is tooo funky I see the addiction, how, no ya how.
Just unreall.

Violadeity Senior Member • Posts: 1,139

i love trying to push my mind for creativity by taking out old crappy shots and trying to breathe new life into them

those are absolutely brilliant...and one of my favorite visual stlyes in any medium.

how do you do it? share? pretty please? with a cherry on top? love you long time?

--
http://damn-thats-green.deviantart.com

http://phodeo-online.com

OP owenb Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

Wow, what a response! Cheers, everyone, I'm glad my addiction isn't in vain! It took me several hours to work out a combination of effects that pleased me - the lomo-style actions at Adobe Studio Exchange alone pointed me in the right direction but you're right, none of them alone were quite enough.

I'm running late for work, so here's basics:

Cropped to square.

Create a black layer.

Add Noise on that black layer.

Use Threshold to reduce the noise to a few specks of white.

Use Motion Blur at it's maximum blur setting, and an angle of your choice, to get the scratches across the edge.

Set the black layer to Screen.

Flatten.

Then it's a case of blurring the edges of the photo (leaving the centre slightly in focus), and adding a couple of Gradient Fill Layers, one set to Black-Transparent with the black around the outside so as to get the vignetting effect, the other set to White-Transparent with the White in the centre to blow out the colours and whites. Both these layers set to Overlay or Soft Light. Then increase the contrast and the saturation with a couple of extra adjustment layers.

Then I create the messy black border and I'm done!

Cheers,
Owen
--
http://www.owenbillcliffe.co.uk
http://i-shot.blogspot.com

Fujifilm X-T3
titous09 Regular Member • Posts: 163
Szar Forum Member • Posts: 67
lomo- whats that exactly?

Lomo style? i figured either an artist with Lomo name? or a trend setting carmera? (like the diana toy camera?) could you please explain.
thanks

btw.. your addiction is spreading, i got in the way when you sneezed. so i am hooked too.

paulwilko Contributing Member • Posts: 817
These are great

but how stupid did you look when taking a pic of a shopping basket in the middle of Tescos !!!
They need to restock the bread !!

SebastianJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,893
Re: These are great

Looks great!

-- hide signature --

Equipment in Profile

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,111
Utter rubbish

I've no idea what you see in the first and last images, they have no redeeming features.

However, I rather like the rest, and would say the bridesmaids is my fave. Maybe it is because it takes a well worn subject and adds and interesting dimension. I suspect that one was a nice image anyway.

I looked at the Fujimugs competition this morning on moods and atmosphere - the submissions are some of the least moving images ever posted on that site and I failed to rate 10 in either catagory so haven't voted. Shame that you didn't enter this one into that as had there been a clear winner I'd have made an effort!

This is one of those techniques what either needs just the right image (bridesmaids, man at top of terraces), or to be presented as a set... then again, what type of photography is different in that regard.

Re: Utter rubbish

jkjond wrote:

I've no idea what you see in the first and last images, they have
no redeeming features.

Interesting - I fully believe that photography is a subjective medium, but I think I'd still hold short of classing something as 'utter rubbish with no redeeming features'... I won't hold it against you though, as it's fair enough that you simply didn't like them.

My reasons for liking those two are: the first one for the light, the long shadows, the stark yellow and the framing of the arrow into the picture, as well as the fact that there are no cars parked. Pictures of public areas that aren't populated appeal to me.

The shopping basket: I saw it sitting there as I walked around the supermarket. It isn't my basket. It already had the handle up, and was alone in the aisle while it's owner was shopping elsewhere. I didn't frame up on it; I just walked past, pointed my camera backwards at waist height and took the shot. The barrenness of the shelves and the fullness of the basket appeal to me...

So now you know!

I looked at the Fujimugs competition this morning on moods and
atmosphere - the submissions are some of the least moving images
ever posted on that site and I failed to rate 10 in either catagory
so haven't voted. Shame that you didn't enter this one into that as
had there been a clear winner I'd have made an effort!

I must get back into that site. I've been away from Lensday, Photofriday and Fujimugs for ages...

Cheers for looking!
Owen

Fujifilm X-T3
jkjond

Just sensationalist stirings, I'm sure that there is a least one redeeming feature between those two, and I wouldn't put them in land fill... though the beauty of digital means that I didn't print them out anyway.

It is always fascinating to hear people's personal reasons for liking shots, your reasoning stands well. Respect, and all that. I must say, the shots of mine which I like best become more precious to me as more people dislike them.

paulwilko Contributing Member • Posts: 817

Owen, i hope you didn't think I was being rude when mentioning the Shelves and Basket, i was merely having a bit of sarcastic banter between two (I assume) Brits !!!!

I love the pics and wish i had the guts to take odd, different and strange pics.

Paul

Paul - no absolutely not oeffended at all - your humour came acorss well, mate.

I'm wary of taking photos in supermarkets. I tried it once before at a till, of a shot of all the other tills stretching into the distance - "down the line" if you will. A manager came over to me and told me I needed permission to shoot in the supermarket, and especially of the tills, for security reasons. Sort of fair enough I expect, and it's their property so they can ask me not to shoot at all if they want.

So no, I didn't set that basket up or frame it up. I just walked around with the camera at 18mm and high ISO and pointed it very vaguely behind me at whatever I liked the look of as I walked past. The basket was a lucky shot in terms of the framing!

It doesn't take guts to take odd, different or strange pictures - it takes a visualisation in your head of how you want to them to look later, or an idea of why you're taking it. Random stuff that's just totally random can look a bit naff, but I went around the supermarket knowing that I was looking for a shot that would work well with this technique.
--
http://www.owenbillcliffe.co.uk
http://i-shot.blogspot.com

Fujifilm X-T3
jkjond

It has a flavour of the joys of pinhole photography about it. You never really know what you're going to get till you've got it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads