A neat F10 Bird photo - anyone else birding?

Started Feb 20, 2006 | Discussions
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,920
A neat F10 Bird photo - anyone else birding?

Does anyone else photo birds using an F10 or F11 on here?

Here is one of my first bird shots taken with the F10 about 6 weeks ago.

Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
Poochdp Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: A neat F10 Bird photo - anyone else birding?

Super nice photo, I assume you blurred the background in post? The only thing I can add is I dont like the tail going over the frame, maybe I live in to many boxes, LOL!
--
Gallery; http://www.pbase.com/poochdp

tbaugh Forum Member • Posts: 59

It's beek looks broken or something. I would really like to see more bird shots with the F10 or F11. I am thinking about getting my husband one for me to use
--
Small Town Girl Takin' Pictures in a Big Time World
http://mywork.corel.shutterfly.com/action/

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,441
Very sharp ... how was the background done?
-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +27 more
Adrian Harris
OP Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,920
Blurred background and broken beak

Yes I took a few photos of thgis bird over a few days - and was concerned about its beak also, but it has many feeding options home here

Re blurring the background: No I didn't need to, I took the photo through a pair of binoculars focused on the bird. Therefore the depth of field was very small, leaving the background totally out of focus.

For those interested in trying the technique, the binoculars were made by Mead and seem really nice - but were only £10 in Makro!

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
the mighty boosh Contributing Member • Posts: 711

I took these with my F610 and a high quality terrestrial telescope.

I asked your question before on this forum as I expected the F10 should make this type of photography (digiscoping) easier, but no luck on the responses.

No pic pp'd

The quality of this first pic is not brilliant, but thats what happens when its about 100 meters away. I calculated that the magnification was 130x

You can see a lot of difference in this second shot which is only about 8 meters distance.

and here's the classic herron shot again quite a distance off

This technique can be quite a saving on very large SLR lenses, but its more difficult for sure, although not impossible. Hope these are of interest. I will certianly look to refine this in future. Its just an extra aspect to photography which can yield some good results, and is fun on a good day out with good light.

buckshot
buckshot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,959
Nice shot

Great detail in the bird and nice bg color to go with it. I too do not like the tail in the border. I am not much for borders thats what frames are for and it seems everyone likes a differant frame. How close were you to the bird?

-- hide signature --

JB
I am not a photographer, I’m just a guy that takes pictures.
http://www.buckshot.BuckshotsPhotos.photoshare.co.nz

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 45,322

Adrian Harris wrote:

Does anyone else photo birds using an F10 or F11 on here?

Here is one of my first bird shots taken with the F10 about 6 weeks
ago.

That looks pretty neat man. You are one of the many peopel that prove that ironically it's the FUJI- non slr pro forum at dpreview the one making the photographs.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
e-volt 300, and some Zuiko lenses. Fuji F710, Panasonic FZ20
Tools/Gui Programmer - vid games industry

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,441
Worked very well ...

You don't find the technique cumbersome?
--
My gallery: http://letkeman.net/Photos

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +27 more
stdr Regular Member • Posts: 100
What about some level adjustment...

to get the bird's real color?

gjc41 Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: What about some level adjustment...

I have to compliment you on your shot.

I'll have to try your binocular technique. Hmmmm, S5100 at 10x zoom + TCON 1.7 + binoculars... might be interesting, might get mush.

Worth a try anyway. If I catch anything interesting, I'll post it.

Any tips on how to keep everything stable? Juggling cam, binos and trying to catch quick moving birds... there must be a technique.

Cheers

Graham
S5100

Adrian Harris
Thanks Guys - A few answers...

Yes your right about the tail in the border - sadly I was happy until you pointed it out!! (Note: I must improve my cropping)

Is the technique cumbersome - now I have built a home made bracket for the job, it is probably far l;ess cumbersome than an SLR with an enormous 500+ mm lens. Shooting is slightly slower though.

(Oh and I can get so much closer than most SLR systems - with the F10 at half zoom - which works best - and a 30x magnifier - which is mild for scope users - we are talking an optical zoom limit of 1500mm!!!)

How close was I to this bird - about 45ft (15metres).

Sorry I cant remeber the name of the other bird poster here - this forum wont let me re check it without losing this message - but, your bird pics are a pretty good start. I would like to make a few comments on them - if I remember correctly: The first one looks as if the focus may have been a bit on the short side, and also I think you are using to slow a shutter speed - as their is motion blur on the bird. The other 2 are fairly sharp, but looking at the head of the Heron photo I think there is blur there to - use a faster shutter speed or higher ISO. Lastly the close up, Yes when they are this close you can only focus on one bit, thats why the tail and head are a bit blurred, I had many shots like this. The solution is to use less magnification or a smaller aperrture try F8.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the compliments guys - Adrian

leertracy Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Thanks Guys - A few answers...

I'd love to see a photo of the setup you've constructed to do this. Or perhaps you need to start up a little side business and sell them. It's very cool, and like you say, cuts through the "party line" that you have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on huge lenses to do bird photography. Sure, you can't use this technique to get birds on the wing, but most folks don't even try that anyway.

Adrian Harris
Re: I'd love to see a photo of the setup...

Ok i'll take a few snaps of the different systems I have knocked up and post them shortly.

Nick Green Junior Member • Posts: 29

Adrian,

Hi, I think I've seen yor digiscoped picture before on Birdforum and I appreciate you trying to spread the word on this camera for digiscoping. It seems you are the only one out there trying it out and because this camera has such good iso performance you'd expect alot more being shouted about it in the the digiscoping world!

Thanks for posting. I'm looking to get this camera to replace a nikon coolpix for digiscoping.The pics you've posted do look quite 'grainy'. I'd love to see some 100% crops of your dunnock just to see if it really is keeping the detail at 400 iso.

Thanks for posting, you need to think of yourself as a brave pioneer!

Nick

Adrian Harris

As requested here are a few quick photos of some of my 'hack' telephoto birding setups:

This is the first quick tryout using a simple piece of aluminium plate with a few holes drilled - so I could literally zip tie the old borowed yashica binoculars onto it. The silver stuff is duct taped thin rubber (cut up push bike inner tube), this was to stop the binoculars slipping about!

I complicated it with a swing out bracket, as I though i would need this to move the camera out the way to focus the binoculars. In practise this isnt needed, as it is easy to focus using the big F10 LCD screen.

1st setup - borrowed binoculars and metal plate:

I then tried an even simpler more portable - fit in my pocket easy setup using a £11 toy shop monocular, but sadly the optics were awful. It would have worked great with a better monocular, but they are over £100.

In use the monocular was held on the bracket with a rubber band.

2nd setup - Toy shop monocular:

As realy good monoculars were around £200 - and our local macro store was selling fairly high quality Mead binoculars for under £10, guess what I bought ?

Yes The £10 meads - and sawed them in half !!!

This assembly looks more complicated and was a bit tricky to make - but I did it this way for many reasons.

1. Its lighter than binos and easy to carry about, especially for a 10x magnifier lens - giving great results up to a combined practical total of nearly 1000mm !!

2. I modified it to focus much closer than was intended by the manufacturers. It will now focus down to nearly 3metres for great macros of butterflies etc.

3. I wanted the swing out bracket so I could quickly still use the 'Half-binocular' for looking through !!

Most recent setup - Mead binoculars sawn in half:

I hope this will give some of you some great ideas to start experimenting.

If anyone has any more questions, I'll be glad to try and help.

Adrian

Adrian Harris
Just one more photo -

Just one more photo - this was taken with the last Half-Bino setup - this was hand held and quickly snapped.

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410

Very cool, I have tried to take pics through binoculars before but was simply holding them together. I like the work you did with cutting the binoculars in half, quite cool and much lighter.
Nice job, Ted

djprov
djprov Veteran Member • Posts: 4,961
Wonderful capture...

I also like the detail achieved but do not like the tail in the border.
dp

-- hide signature --

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'
Friedrich Welhelm Nietzche

http://www.pbase.com/djprov

Poochdp Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: Wonderful capture...

Very creative! Bravo man!
--
Gallery; http://www.pbase.com/poochdp

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads