Hidden 30D page is probably a D30 page

Started Feb 18, 2006 | Discussions
pblock Regular Member • Posts: 370
Hidden 30D page is probably a D30 page

I posted the following under the “Hidden 30D page on Canon Europe Site,” but it’s buried way down at the bottom, so I’ve started a new thread. The original thread pointed to:

http://www.canon-europe.com/Search/index.asp

and had us searching on 30D to find a hidden document that may be about the new Canon camera. I believe it may simply be a document for the D30. Here’s my message buried in the other thread:

I think I stumbled on what's really happening here. It isn't the 30D that's coming up but a document for the D30. I was testing some other letters, such as 30A, 30B, etc. When I came to 30S, I found 12 hits, but only 6 documents showed. They were for the Powershot S30. Canon built 30S into the index so that folks who mistype 30S would get the proper S30. So I started looking at results for D30 and found a number of hits that don't display the document. This would explain why DIGIC works but not DIGIC II (or even II alone).
I suspect we're all having fun searching a D30 page that doesn't display.

Paul

Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/paulblock

OP pblock Regular Member • Posts: 370
Re: Hidden 30D page is probably a D30 page

I am not saying this is definitely so, but I am no longer convinced that finding a hidden page on a 30D search is all that significant. I've found lots of other pages that don't display, and a number seem to be for pages that have 30S instead of S30 and other hidden pages for D30. I will now sit back quietly and away the real announcement.

Paul

seanmcr6
seanmcr6 Senior Member • Posts: 1,614
Search for D20 doens't yeild a 20D page though...

in fact, the only thing it brings up is a camcorder page that has D20 on it.

sean

I may just disagree with myself

I still think the jury is out on whether or not there is a 30D page. However, I did try searching D30 AND 30D and got nothing. I'd think if 30D was just an alternate spelling in the index, this would produce a result. So the 30D page may indeed be real.

Paul

RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,838
Patience is a virtue. A couple of days won't hurt. (nt)
n/t
 RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Jun2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
This thing is not reliable.

I try 30D and 12---1 hit

30D and 10,2---1 hit

30D and 8,2--- 1 hit

It can not be 8.2M, 10.2M and 12M at the same time. Hope 30D is for real.

Jun

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
The commas don't work

The commas don't appear to work and are simply disregarded when they are in numbers. A few of us discovered this behavior on the other thread. 10.2 does indeed work (periods seem to be OK). 8,2 is the same as 82. The comma is disregarded.

Paul

Jun2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: The commas don't work

But 12 is also working

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Re: The commas don't work

Yes, but 12 could refer to most anything. Same with 10.2 and 10.4, but at least they seem like megapixel amounts.

Paul

mattr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531
Why all the 5D specs on a D30 page?

pblock wrote:

I suspect we're all having fun searching a D30 page that doesn't
display.

The page seems to include very detailed specifications that are in part identical to the 5D (see the old thread). Why would that be on a D30 page?

pjay New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Hidden 30D page is probably a D30 page

Not saying that the search page means anything but I tried this search search string for fun and it seem to work. [ 30D AND 10.2 AND 12 AND AF AND 10 AND JPEG AND RAW AND Magnesium AND EF/EF-S AND E-TTL-III ]

Re: Why all the 5D specs on a D30 page?

It's very likely this is not a D30 page. After the original post above, I did further posts, and I discovered that if you search 30D AND D30, it doesn't work. I'd think if it ws a D30 page that had 30D in the index, then that search would work. I increasingly lean toward the belief the page is for real and is for a 10 megapixel camera. But there are lots of hidden pages on that site, so who knows what this one might be. It could be a page that has a tone of comparison specs, and maybe 30D refers to something completely different. But I must say that at least this has been fun ... much better than the usual rumors that have been floating around here. It appeals to the "detective" side of me.

Paul

Dieter Nuyens Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: I may just disagree with myself

Indeed, if it was an old D30 page, it should work using 'D30 AND 30D'...
This is the funniest thread I've seen on dpreview for a long time.

I also like it that there are almost no leaks on this product yet a few days before the official announcement. This never happened before as far as I know.

You have to be carefull with those numbers... the search machine disregards ',' and it's likely that ISO numbers are listed on that page, so concluding that the ting costs 1600euro's may be dangerous...

DigPho New Member • Posts: 4
The hidden page seems to be in german

30D AND 2,5 AND objektiv AND neu AND produkt --> TRUE

30D AND 2,5 AND neu AND produkt AND software AND qualität --> TRUE

Camera Dog Senior Member • Posts: 1,851
then why is there no content that it links to?

interesting theory - but then it should also link to the D30 content.

mattr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531
100 points for you!

DigPho wrote:

30D AND 2,5 AND objektiv AND neu AND produkt --> TRUE

30D AND 2,5 AND neu AND produkt AND software AND qualität --> TRUE

This is finally some progress in the detective story... I should have figured it out myself (because I'm German). I was worried that terms like "new" and "release" were not on the page. But this can still be the old announcement in German of the 5D...

David Martin Forum Pro • Posts: 17,056
Nothing works now!

They must have noticed what we are up to!
I tried some of the things which were working, and they have stopped.

pblock wrote:

It's very likely this is not a D30 page. After the original post
above, I did further posts, and I discovered that if you search 30D
AND D30, it doesn't work. I'd think if it ws a D30 page that had
30D in the index, then that search would work. I increasingly lean
toward the belief the page is for real and is for a 10 megapixel
camera. But there are lots of hidden pages on that site, so who
knows what this one might be. It could be a page that has a tone of
comparison specs, and maybe 30D refers to something completely
different. But I must say that at least this has been fun ... much
better than the usual rumors that have been floating around here.
It appeals to the "detective" side of me.

Paul

-- hide signature --

Regards,
DaveMart

'I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending I'm deaf'

Please see profile for equipment

Mr Steve Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Re: The hidden page seems to be in german

how do you spell "banding" in German? Keep up the research.

David Martin Forum Pro • Posts: 17,056
Correction - it works on the normal search function

But not if you search on the error page!

The search engine there ( which comes up if Canon can't find what you are looking for) won't even find the 30D
--

Regards,
DaveMart

'I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending I'm deaf'

Please see profile for equipment

Dieter Nuyens Junior Member • Posts: 45
30D AND Schnellrücklaufspiegel WORKS (NT)

no text

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads