Is this price to good to be true?

Started Feb 18, 2006 | Discussions
balafre New Member • Posts: 3
Is this price to good to be true?

A small company called MobileInc, [URL] http://mobileinc.co.uk/items.php?id=7139451[/URL] based in the UK is selling the Digital rebel XT (350D) at 499$US and they pay for the shipping. Apparently they have so low prices because they sell goods by retail for the producers wholesale prices.

They say the camera comes with Carrying Strap, Charger, PC Connection Cable. My question is this price to good to be true? is it possible that they actually send you the bare camera without the software and user guide at this price? Thanks

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,051
probably, but

balafre wrote:

A small company called MobileInc,
[URL] http://mobileinc.co.uk/items.php?id=7139451[/URL] based in the
UK is selling the Digital rebel XT (350D) at 499$US and they pay
for the shipping.

In Japan, the going rate at the online shops is now a bit over 70,000yen... so with the current exchange rates it isn't TOO far off. For the UK though, that price is really odd.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +30 more
iancrowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Re: Is this price to good to be true?

Probably

Their domain was registered in Germany on 12th Feb.

They say they ship direct from South Korea so they avoid paying sales tax and duty. In the UK, at least, the recipient of goods sent from abroad is responsible for duty and VAT and has to pay before they recieve the goods.

They list a number of "intresting" clauses in there terms and conditions. See the ones regarding testing and arbitration!!

They only accept Western Union payment from the US not credit cards.

Would you realy be happy wireing money to a company set up just six days ago for goods priced at 40% of the UK retail price?

All the best

Ian

Smeegles Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Is this price to good to be true? SCAM

Well I made up a fake order up to where I should pay
Surprise surprise they only accept Western Union to Australia
this is the guy you pay
First name: Rokas
Last name: Kuznecovas
City: London

If it were a company would you not pay a company rather than some Eastern European sounding guy?
Scam anyone?

-- hide signature --

Look beyond your reflection in the window.

ledittmar Veteran Member • Posts: 3,495

He loses $500.00 on each order, but makes it up with volumn!

Larry Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,106

balafre wrote:

A small company called MobileInc,
[URL] http://mobileinc.co.uk/items.php?id=7139451[/URL] based in the
UK is selling the Digital rebel XT (350D) at 499$US and they pay
for the shipping. Apparently they have so low prices because they
sell goods by retail for the producers wholesale prices.

They say the camera comes with Carrying Strap, Charger, PC
Connection Cable. My question is this price to good to be true? is
it possible that they actually send you the bare camera without the
software and user guide at this price? Thanks

RULE OF THUMB FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Nobody, but nobody anywhere, any time will ask for Western Union payment, unless they are trying to ROB you..

Other mailing cash, it is the simplest way to steal from you, and you have NO RECOURSE WHAT EVER!
--
L.L.
Mystic, Ct.

Richard Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,318
If it seems too good to be true....

If it seems too good to be true.... it probably is.

Indicators of Internet scams are: prices well below market value, not accepting payment by credit card or PayPal and demanding payment by money order, moneygram or other ways in which you have no recourse if you have paid and not received the item. Ebay indicators are very few or no feedbacks and seller belonging to ebay for a short time.

At the risk of seeming prejudiced (which I will admit to in this case); there may be a few legitimate Eastern European Internet sellers - but they are few are far between.

I will admit that this is a more creative scam ad than usual... showing you that not all crooks are dumb, just that all are dishonest.

I did a google search for this company and got no hits. That makes me believe that the company is ficticious and that the name has not been around long enough to have folks complain about them.... YET!

Retired Navy Master Chief Photographer's Mate - 30 years service. Combat Cameraman, Motion Picture Director and Naval Aircrewman. I have done considerable comercial photography including weddings. I have paraphrased equipment names so forum searches will not hit on my equipment.
Bodies: Canon Three-Fifty-D and CanonTen-D.

Zoom-Lenses: Canon 17 to 40 Millimeter f/4L; 24 to 70 Millimeter f/2.8L; 28 to 135 millimeter IS; 70 to 200 millimeter f/4L

Prime Lenses: Sigma twenty-eight mm f/1.8; fifty mm f/1.8 MK-I; Tamron 90 Millimeter f/2.8 Macro; and Tokina 400 Millimeter f/5.6 ATX SD.
Also Canon 1.4 x teleconverter and 420 ex flash.

Eric Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Super Fake

All of their store "certifications" are fake. The images don't link to anywhere, including the VeriSign "Click here to verify" image. They also indicate that they accept Visa + Mastercard, which apparently they don't.

Jim Coffey Contributing Member • Posts: 864

Smeegles wrote:

Well I made up a fake order up to where I should pay
Surprise surprise they only accept Western Union to Australia

If I recall correctly, all you need is the Money Order number (and possibly not even that) and a "government issued photo ID" to collect cash; so the person could be anywhere in the world.

Western Union has a consumer fraud page that has some good infromation.

OP balafre New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks a lot guy!!! I was actually contemplating the idea of taking a chance but now I know better. I also notice like Eric and Richard that it was kind of odd that the Cnet logo is not the real one (along with the other ones) and that a google search came out empty.

hoirju Regular Member • Posts: 193
quite an experience :)

try going thru the buy process (doesn't matter what you buy). you get this payment request, in the end of the online buying process. don't even think about it :)...

Thank You For Your Business

Once we check up your payment with Western Union, we will ship your order. This may not happen until the business day after you pay Western Union. If we do not receive funds within 4 business days the order will be canceled.

The purchased item's would be shipped out from warehouse within the 12-24 hours after we confirm the payment.

You will need to provide the below information to Western Union to ensure the money is routed correctly and we can ship your order.

Visit http://westernunion.com to find the location nearest you.

If you have any questions, Contact Us

Have a nice day

-- hide signature --

Western Union Payment To Our Sales Manager:

First name: Rokas
Last name: Kuznecovas
City: London

Total Amount: $499.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the payment is completed, please provide the Western Union
Money Transfer Control Number by email: sales@mobileinc.co.uk

benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284

I came across a really interesting story the other day about tax & duty. One guy complained to the police that he was the victim of a fraud and wanted to complain following a computer transaction that went wrong.

But, since he had tried to avoid tax & duty costs, he has been told that if he wanted to pursue his claim, he was the one going to prison for trying not to pay taxes and duty...

So, he lost his money, and could go to prison for not having paid tax and duty. He was offered to widthdraw his claim in exchange to be not prosecuted...

So, whatever the price of this cam is, if you don't pay tax and duty, you will not have a recourse against the law if something ever goes wrong. This law applies to Canada and some Europeans countries, so I'm certain that it applies to UK.

Forget about them and go to a local retailer. This is wat I would do.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Benjilafouine

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284
Re: If it seems too good to be true....

Could also be stolen goods (if you ever get it...).

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Benjilafouine

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Eric Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: quite an experience :)

They do appear to take credit cards from UK customers... I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to accept credit cards from any customer worldwide with a valid card. Do you?

• Eric

OP balafre New Member • Posts: 3

benjilafouine wrote:

I came across a really interesting story the other day about tax &
duty. One guy complained to the police that he was the victim of a
fraud and wanted to complain following a computer transaction that
went wrong.

But, since he had tried to avoid tax & duty costs, he has been told
that if he wanted to pursue his claim, he was the one going to
prison for trying not to pay taxes and duty...

So, he lost his money, and could go to prison for not having paid
tax and duty. He was offered to widthdraw his claim in exchange to
be not prosecuted...

So, whatever the price of this cam is, if you don't pay tax and
duty, you will not have a recourse against the law if something
ever goes wrong. This law applies to Canada and some Europeans
countries, so I'm certain that it applies to UK.

Forget about them and go to a local retailer. This is wat I would do.

Really interresting indeed. It just goes to show you that often when you try to save money you end up paying more at the end!!! I think that I will actually do what you suggest.

Thank you so much again guys.

iancrowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Re: quite an experience :)

Eric wrote:

They do appear to take credit cards from UK customers... I have no
idea why they wouldn't be able to accept credit cards from any
customer worldwide with a valid card. Do you?

• Eric

Hmmm..

1) Possibly to make it look a little more legitimate.

2) Allows them to weed out UK customers and invent excuses not to do buisness with them. Therefore any fraud is perpitrated against overseas customers only, meaning there is a chance of the scam running longer and not bringing in the local law enforcement, making it more difficult to shut it down.

I expect there will be a rash of complaints in about two to three weeks time frome people who have sent money via Western Union and haven't received any goods. Or if they are really cruel they send a box labeled with the expected contents which gets hung up in customs, the punter pays the required duty and VAT and then gets a box full of junk. By which time all trace of the scammers has vanished. If my experience with UK customs is anything to go by it takes about three weeks to get an item cleared if your not set up for it. Say four weeks before the customer knows they've been hit, well.. you can get al lot of hits in four weeks before anyone starts to complain. Say an average of 500 hits per week at say £300 per order thats 500 x 300 x 4 = £600,000 before anyone starts to moan, and if they can pick the money up elsewhere other than the UK it won't flag the money laundering checks which are in place in the UK. Then they are away scot free.

It would be interesting to know where they are getting their live webcam feeds from, probably piggybacking off somebodys genuine feed, also the reviews, I wonder who's websit they have plundered them from.

All in all quite ingeneous and I suspect a number of people are going to get stung :-

Anyone in the London area fancy going to have a look at the London Business Center, 203 Edgware Road tomorrow.

I suspect it will turn out to be a mail forwarding agency.

All the best.

Keep your eyes open and your brain turned on!!!

Ian

Richard Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,318
It might be problematic

I have heard that it is sometimes problematic to your computer to click on some links. Especially when you know the links come from a bogus ad or web page. I am no computer expert but, I tend not to open those links.
--

Retired Navy Master Chief Photographer's Mate - 30 years service. Combat Cameraman, Motion Picture Director and Naval Aircrewman. I have done considerable comercial photography including weddings. I have paraphrased equipment names so forum searches will not hit on my equipment.
Bodies: Canon Three-Fifty-D and CanonTen-D.

Zoom-Lenses: Canon 17 to 40 Millimeter f/4L; 24 to 70 Millimeter f/2.8L; 28 to 135 millimeter IS; 70 to 200 millimeter f/4L

Prime Lenses: Sigma twenty-eight mm f/1.8; fifty mm f/1.8 MK-I; Tamron 90 Millimeter f/2.8 Macro; and Tokina 400 Millimeter f/5.6 ATX SD.
Also Canon 1.4 x teleconverter and 420 ex flash.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Hmmmm...

I think the policeman were just triyng to pull his/her leg and to not to do their job...

1.) In most civilized countries, not declaring imported single goods does not lead to criminal prosecution.

Not complying with customs regulations is a contravention (not a crime) that leads to specific monetary penalties and, in some very specific cases, to civil charges.

It is the case in the UK, for instance:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_MIG_009994

(Like in most European countries, Her Majesty reserves criminal charges for something really serious like organized smuggling rings importing illegal or dangerous goods.)

2.) By your description, since the transaction was really not taken to its term, the police had no means to prove that a proper Customs declaration would not be presented when the goods finally arrived.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(Pbase Supporter)

robbar Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Hmmmm...

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1
10.3MP, 3888x2592, 5x Opt, MS/CF/Pro/Microdrive

Rating: (2 Reviews)
$489.00

He is selling this 900$ sony R1 for 490$ . - scam

there is no way he gets this new camera for this prices. In HK the price is 860$ . if he is not manufacturing the R! in his basment there is no way he can get this cameraes for this price

Also all the links (outside) don't work .

only stupid will give one dollar to this idiot.

-- hide signature --

have sony R1 + new born baby and love all of them
Was part of canon people (300D + 350D) and was happy there

dovbaer Regular Member • Posts: 168

RULE OF THUMB FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Nobody, but nobody anywhere, any time will ask for Western Union
payment, unless they are trying to ROB you..

...and that includes your brother, Melvin!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads