Walimex Flashes

Started Feb 17, 2006 | Discussions
rockjano Senior Member • Posts: 2,653
Walimex Flashes

Dear friends

This is my first post here, but I have been a long time regular reader.

Does anybody have any experiences with Walimex studio strobes?

I searched the forum but did not find too much about it. I know some readers have it. I am about to purchase some strobes and I'm a bit worried about the quality, reliability etc...

Could somebody give me some information...

Thanks

jano

rockjano's gear list:rockjano's gear list
Nikon D7200
Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647
Re: Walimex Flashes

Janos,
there are threads here on this forum you may read up on Walimex
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=walimex&forum=1025

Walimex is one of the importers to Europe, the flashes origin from China. In short, they are better than you might expect for those prices. http://www.yinyanflash.com/eindex.html
Where do you get them from?
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.
(English - not my native tongue)

OP rockjano Senior Member • Posts: 2,653

Thanks for the reply Peter

I already read all the threads many-many times, and collected as much information as I could, which is not much. I know all the specifications (which are not bad), and I visited a lot of not too informative websites. (like the yinyan)

What I would need is some user experiences. Some words from people who are really using it.

Are they satisfied, any problems??? Broken parts??? Comparison with more expensive flashes.

Should I dare to spend my hard earned money on this... or collect more and buy a Hensel, or something else...

I am new to studio photography, and a more expensive solution would be unreasonable, I will not use it every day but I am also worried about too cheap Chinese stuff...

If I would live in the US I would probably by AlienBee, but here in Europe thats too far away...

Thanks for anybody how can help me out with some advice...

Kind regards,
jano

(English is also not my native tongue)

Nikon D7200
v_ Senior Member • Posts: 1,931

Jano,

You are better off spending money on a higher quality flashes, if you want something reliable. Service and parts are important, not to mention accessories. I have a Hensel kit, which I love to use. I was able to buy softbox from a different brand (Norman). Most strobe and accessory makers offer adaptors and speedrings for other brands. You can find only the bigger names. You wont find that chinese brand on those lists for sure!

Sok szerencsét! Én inkább gyüjtenék és vennék egy Henselt!

Viktor
'Happy shooting!'

v_'s gear list:v_'s gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +1 more

Thank You Viktor

Köszönöm

Yes you are probably right, only problem is the Hansel cost twice as much, which maybe too much to me.

As for the accessories... Walimex makes rings for other brand (Hensel too), it is maybe an option to buy strobes from Hensel and light boxes etc... from a cheaper brand. I just don't know.

I am not a professional, now I use Nikon creative lightening system, using Nikon D70, SB 800, SB 600.

It is a good setup, but I would like to step up from that, modeling light, more power etc...

I seriously doubt that a Hensel investment would be reasonably for me right know.

Do you know anybody how is using these chinese stuff regularly???

I would need user experiences...

Thanks
jano

Nikon D7200

rockjano wrote:

Yes you are probably right, only problem is the Hansel cost twice
as much, which maybe too much to me.

twice..? E.g. a 250Ws unit- Euro 140 or Euro 500, that's the equation.

Do you know anybody how is using these chinese stuff regularly???

I can report from 5 users - formerly assistants / students - which are absolutely satisfyed, no complains of any sort.
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.

Yes... maybe in Germany

But if I buy it in Hungary from the Hungarian distributor I pay about 30% more than if I would by it in Germany.

I just don't know if I dare to by it from abroad... what about invoice, WAT, guaranty etc...

What is the best source of Walimex in Germany?

Here the price is just about the half of the Hensel, the strobes and softboxes, everything.

But anyway what you wrote about experiences is very encouraging

Thanks Peter

Nikon D7200

rockjano wrote:

I just don't know if I dare to by it from abroad... what about
invoice, WAT, guaranty etc...

What is the best source of Walimex in Germany?

Jano,

just talked to a German distributor ( http://www.studioexpress.de ) who explained that there are no problems shipping to H as it' s inside the EU. Seems (from what he told me) that some Hungarian buyers use a German address for delivery, others who are self employed get the invoice free of VAT.

I assume in the latter case you have to ask your tax consultant about the process regarding the difference in 16% (German) to 25% (Hungary). I expect you'd have to pay such.

You also may enquire (Michael Krause speaks / writes English) about the shipping cost for a decent kit. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Peter B.

Mikrosat ?

Btw, do you know Mikrosat / Budapest? They offer the AURORA (Korea) strobes, also a good choice.

http://mamiya.hu/shop/index.php?currency=EUR&manufacturers_id=18&osCsid=0fdf5b7d1d608690a85fe5b797f8ce2e

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Peter B.

Peter

I really have to thank you, for your great help. I was not expecting such generous people in this forum.

I will write a mail to them, and check their prices.

Thanks a lot for the info

jano

Nikon D7200
Re: Mikrosat ?

I checked their site and there is nothing about AURORA, but I will call them also.

They have strobes called "Microsat"

Is AURORA similar to Walimex?? Better - worst??

They are at least in Budapest, closer to me.

Thanks for the great help

jano

Nikon D7200

rockjano wrote:

I really have to thank you, for your great help. I was not
expecting such generous people in this forum.

You're welcome I agree, this IS a friendly place to visit.

Here's the link to Aurora, under 'distributors' you'll find the Hungarian rep. I think it's worth the enquiery.
http://www.alb.co.kr/html/eng/sub_flash.htm
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.

Thanks

Yehh, I was talking to them.

Mikroset are selling their own version of aurora, slightly modified, under their own name.

They are about 20-25% more expensive than walimex but seems to be better quality.

I will pay a visit to them, and I will check it out myself.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, great help...

janó

Nikon D7200
Varjohaltia
Varjohaltia Regular Member • Posts: 123
Cheap Flashes

I got one (JTL?) brand monolight off Ebay, and have been pretty pleased with it. Reasonable power, metal housing, though the packing was pretty bad and the manual was totally useless.

However, having come back from the halls of PMA, there were many Chinese and Korean companies that offered pretty decent looking monolights -- does anyone have experiences with these "unusual" brands, and are there any real distributors for these which would still allow amateurs to save a bundle vis a vis the established western brands?

Varjohaltia's gear list:Varjohaltia's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads