what do you charge ($$$) for photography??

Started Feb 16, 2006 | Discussions
liustephen Regular Member • Posts: 305
what do you charge ($$$) for photography??

hi all,

VERY VERY VERY open question, which i know has a tremendous number of variables. just looking for some ranges.

i'm an amateur - i shoot because i love it. but, i'm finding folks asking for rates, and would like some direction.
-if anyone out there charges an hourly, approximately what is it?
-how about per project? (like an all day event?)
-or event photography (evening event)
-for set photography (movie filming/set work)?
-per CD of prints?
-per photo? 4x6s, 5x7s, 8x10s, 11x14s

thanks in advance to those who share. and yes, again, i know this is a very open question.
thank you,

stephen
http://stephenliuphoto.blogspot.com

Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,361
Your best bet ...

... is to search on the web for photogs IN YOUR AREA, who do what you do. I'm pretty cheap on my 'boiler plate' pet photography (but I charge a lot to do catalog work, which is NOT listed on my website.)
Ken
--

http://www.ahomls.com/photo.htm
Voted Best of the City 2004 by Cincinnati Magazine
I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in f/8!

paul1631 Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: what do you charge ($$$) for photography??

I really think the only real answer is, "as much as someone is willing to pay you." There are no rules or guidlines. To give you a starting idea look at how much other photogs of similar skill and location to yourself charge.

nblaney
nblaney Contributing Member • Posts: 663

I charge on a project basis depending upon what the client comes to me asking for - its ALWAYS different!

I do have a minimum though. You should really pick up the most recent PDN magazine which profiles a photographer in each of the 50 states and discusses thier market and how much they bill. Interesting stuff.

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 22,695

I was awakend this morning, about an hour after i should have arisen, by a stranger on the telephone asking if I did business portraints.

I said yes.

She said her publisher topld her to get a portrait, and, "What do youI charge," she asked.

In the process of waking up, I said,"$300.

We had a very short discussion about copyright, and whether I would go to her office, she come to mine, or she come to the other studio to which I have access.

She's scheduled to be here tomorrow afternoon at 2. We'll see what we shall see.

BAK

centralcoastmagazine Veteran Member • Posts: 5,153
Here are some general ideas

i'm an amateur - i shoot because i love it. but, i'm finding folks
asking for rates, and would like some direction.
-if anyone out there charges an hourly, approximately what is it?

Freelance rates for pros might be 3-5 times the living wage in your area
for skilled craft. If a skilled craftsman is $30 per your in your area, then
a skilled craft with equipment/studio space would be that ratio above a
labor only wage. A pro has overhead of insurance, rent, equipment etc
to maintain plus there is built in time for post processing etc that is hard
to charge per hour but much be in a 'sitting fee' as one example.

-how about per project? (like an all day event?)

These are subject to day or half day rates. Day rates are a combo of hourly

plus time and materials extra to the job. Travel, hotels, assistants, or any other
cost has to be added into the charge.

-or event photography (evening event)
-for set photography (movie filming/set work)?

See above....

-per CD of prints?
-per photo? 4x6s, 5x7s, 8x10s, 11x14s

Search local prices in your town. This is an easy search.

shutterRelease Forum Member • Posts: 85
mine

I charge between $800 - $1200 creative fee (no third party sales, no advertising beyond regional, a time limit 3-5 yrs.) the usage, job, & client determine what I charge in my creative fee.

In addition there are digital expenses to make it easy to explain to the client I really have tried to knock this down to one or two fees.

A digital processing fee: $65 per view (this includes digital capture, RAW conversion, and minor RGB color correction-never CMYK)

An hourly PS retouching fee: $125 whack

CD burn $25

8x10 print $25

Assistant $250

If others think I'm out of whack please I would love to hear your opinions.

shutterRelease Forum Member • Posts: 85
Sorry just re-read OP

My work focuses around architecture and manufactures.

For event work you'll digital charges need to follow the quantity creating catalogs, websites for reviews, etc. For that type of pricing I would look at:
http://www.johnharrington.com/

John has been very adamant about teaching & getting other photographers up to speed on recapturing our digital expenses. You might try editorial photographers to see if he's giving a presentation in your area. If not his site has a lot of info on it.

Tommy Huynh Regular Member • Posts: 272
As usual, the answer depends

For travel assignments, it's $600-$900/day depending on the assignment,terms and conditions, client, etc..

For weddings, I charge by package ~ $6000 for a weekend of shooting which includes post production work.

For portraits, it's ~ $300/afternoon

Product photography varies greatly.

I generally steer clear from nickel and diming over service fees. I'm not going to charge $40 to burn a CD on a $10,000 assignment or $100 to show up 30 minutes earlier to a wedding. If I wanted to nickel and dime clients, I would have become a lawyer.

-- hide signature --
Creature Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Here are some general ideas

centralcoastmagazine wrote:

If a skilled craftsman is $30 per hour in your area, then
a skilled craft with equipment/studio space would be that ratio above a
labor only wage. A pro has overhead of insurance, rent, equipment etc
to maintain plus there is built in time for post processing etc
that is hard to charge per hour but much be in a 'sitting fee'
as one example.

I'm not sure I get your analogy. Are you suggesting that a self-employed carpenter or mechanic doesn't have overhead of insurance, rent, equipment etc.? (OK, maybe a carpenter doesn't have rent, but still...) But I will give you that a very talented photographer is a different breed than a skilled mechanic or carpenter.

hatidua Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Re: As usual, the answer depends

$3K/day + expenses for one-year non-exclusive use (industry protected for one year), the images hit my stock agent within 30 days of the date of shoot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads