S2 IS Teleconverter Comparison - Sony VCL-DH1758 vs. Olympus TCON-17

Started Feb 7, 2006 | Discussions
senoreit Forum Member • Posts: 99
S2 IS Teleconverter Comparison - Sony VCL-DH1758 vs. Olympus TCON-17

Okay, so I got to do some shooting over the past few days using the S2 IS with both the Sony VCL-DH1758 and the Olympus TCON-17. I used the Lensmate 58mm adapter with the VCL and the Lensmate 52mm adapter with 52-55mm step ring with the TCON. As I mentioned in another thread, in my opinion the Sony is a better match for the S2, showing better edge-to-edge sharpness and less color fringing (both lenses showed some color fringing in contrasty shots, but it was less prominent in the Sony).

A few other things I liked about the VCL, apart from image quality which was of course the most important criterion:

1) The front lens glass of the VCL is recessed further back into the teleconverter than on the TCON, which I would think would make it less prone to scratching and also may provide sort of a "lens hood" effect (no evidence to back up the latter assertion, but it makes sense from looking at it).

2) No step ring required.

3) The weight of the VCL is better balanced. The surface area of the front lens on the TCON is slightly larger than the VCL and it is more front-heavy.

Anyway, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves, I have three galleries for your perusal (I will try to add more sample pics. as time goes on, but no guarantees, especially for the TCON-17 as I plan on selling it) :

S2 with VCL-DH1758 Gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/547297476MgcCen

S2 with TCON-17 Gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/547290344aTqVzM

VCL-DH1758 vs. TCON-17 Comparison Gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/547283148JwXwgN

Montana500 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,094
Re: S2 IS Teleconverter Comparison - Sony VCL-DH1758 vs. Olympus TCON-17

Awesome! Thanks alot for doing this!

-- hide signature --

Very interesting results. One thing that seems clear is that most of the shots are not properly focused, which seems to be a fairly common trait of the S2. It just has a hard time "locking in" for photos it seems. Parts of the image will be focused, others not. This of course would be amplified by using a 1.7x tele with no tripod. Still, great shots regardless.

-- hide signature --
OP senoreit Forum Member • Posts: 99

One thing I forgot to mention, for whatever reason, the TCON gave slightly more magnification than the VCL. I wouldn't know how to quantify it in terms of zoom/magnification factor but I'd say it's less than 1x. Certainly not significant enough to sway my decision in light of all the other things the VCL has going for it.

I don't know, I was pretty happy with the sharpness I got out of the VCL, but I know I'm not as tough a critic as many on this forum. In any case, probably nothing that a little unsharp mask wouldn't fix. There is noticable softening in the corners (much worse on the TCON), but as you know that's the nature of a teleconverter.

Montana500 wrote:

Very interesting results. One thing that seems clear is that most
of the shots are not properly focused, which seems to be a fairly
common trait of the S2. It just has a hard time "locking in" for
photos it seems. Parts of the image will be focused, others not.
This of course would be amplified by using a 1.7x tele with no
tripod. Still, great shots regardless.

-- hide signature --
snowline Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: S2 IS Teleconverter Comparison - check this site

Hi.

CK over on the Panasonic site has a great comparison of teleconvertors including the two you mention ( http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ )

I suspect results on the S2IS would be similar to the Panny FZ30.

I use a TCON-17 on my S2 with pretty good results. But my conclusion so far is that it's only worth the hassle for very specific uses where you don't need to be putting it on and taking it off repeatedly. Plus, a tripod is almost mandatory to have image quality greater than the native 12x zoom handheld.

Bob.

roxydog Regular Member • Posts: 166

Thanks Senoreit

A few people have been waiting to see how this lens goes with S2 - i think different model cams with same sort of specs will give different results

as in the place Snowline linked to.Had a look there a while ago and the Tcon did better than the Sony using FZ30.
Good job.
--
Cheers DOM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89372267@N00
Geelong,VIC,Australia

S2,FZ5, OLY770, t-con1.7

I have seen the site to which you refer. No doubt CK does a great job of comparing lenses, but I cannot support your assumption that the results of using certain teleconverters with the S2 would necessarily be similar to the results of using those same teleconverters with the FZ30, what with the difference in resolution, native zoom range, and a host of other factors, I'm sure. CK concluded, and I agree with him based on his examples, that the TCON-17 performed better than the VCL-DH1758 with the FZ30. However, I simply don't believe that a similar conclusion can be supported when it comes to the S2. The pictures speak for themselves, the VCL-DH1758 retained more detail (both in the center and at the edges) than the TCON-17 shot after shot and exhibited less color fringing. Another user on this site reported similar results when testing the two lenses in question with an FZ5 (and I believe the FZ5 has more in common with the S2 than the FZ30 does):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=14803431

ricks pics New Member • Posts: 22

Thanks senoreit for the review

I am definitely buying the sony over the olympus now.I thourt it would be a goer.

mackerty Forum Member • Posts: 73

Off the Subject aliittle. Do you have any thoughts about the Sony wide angle-VCL-DH0758? I thought the Sony wide may be better also?
--
Mack--S2IS,S-70

Man, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea this existed. It's also the same price as the 6600 and I'm sure better quality.
--
2005 Canon S2 photo gallery:
http://www.wilderness-sportsman.com/hits/hits.html

Personally I have no experience with wide converters, so sorry I have no insight.

mackerty Forum Member • Posts: 73
-- hide signature --

I will be ordering the Sony VCL-DH1758 Soon!!! Thanks for the good work
--
Mack--S2IS,S-70

Thuravi Kumaaran Regular Member • Posts: 158

Thanks to senoreit & all.

Please clear my doubts.

Regarding tele converters, I downloaded the pictures from the lensmate site and found that CanonTC-DC58B 1.5x 58mm tele with Canon S2IS is better than any other tele lens including Olympus TCON17 1.7x 55 they have provided. I cut & changed the image size of CanonTC-DC58B 1.5x 58mm's picture to match the other pictures in Photoshop and found that CanonTC-DC58B 1.5x 58mm tele is sharper and clear and thought to purchase it. But yesterday I happened to see about Sony VCL-DH1758 with CanonS2IS.

Now Sony VCL-DH1758 tele or CanonTC-DC58B 1.5x 58mm tele. - Which is the better one?

Can anybody advice me that Sony VCL-DH1758 tele produce better sharp and quality pictures than CanonTC-DC58B 1.5x 58mm tele with Canon S2IS?

Are there any problems in focusing Sony VCL-DH1758 tele with Canon S2IS?

Which adapter you used? Can I use Lensmate 58mm adapter?

Sony VCL-DH1758' Zoomed back to the point at which vignetting begins' with Canon S2IS will cover more area than S2's maximum zoom range of 432mm covering area? Please advice in detail. If possible with pictures.

Regarding wide angle converters for Canon S2IS, I downloaded the pictures from the lensmate site and corrected the barrellel distortion and found that Canon WC-DC58N .7X 58mm gives better result with good corner to corner sharpness quality pictures and covers more area than Canon WC-DC58A .7X 58mm. And Raynox DCR 6600PRO covers more area than Canon WC-DC58N .7X 58mm without barrellel distortion, but with blurred and soft corner/side pictures. I came to this conclusion with the provided pictures only. Experienced persons can advice.

With love,
kumaaran

Thx. It' not even close. The Sony crushes the tcon in color and sharpness.

-- hide signature --
Roy NN7DX Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Sony VCL-DH1758 and my S3is

Thanks for the images with photos from both lenses spliced together... I bought the Sony VCL-DH1758 a few weeks ago for use on my S3is... Very nice...

The many choices can make folks crazy... Your pix allowed me to pick a good TC and get on with taking photos...

-- hide signature --

OK, I admit it... I capture souls with my camera!
Roy NN7DX

suenorm New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Sony VCL-DH1758 and my S3is

Thanks for the photos .I will buy the Sony VCL-DH1758 ...and I want to know if we could put a lenses in front of it. If it the case what it diameter

clthoma New Member • Posts: 1
E18 Error using Lensmate, Sony 0758, and Canon S2

I read your post and I purchased the 58mm Lensmate and a Sony VCLDH 0758 wide angle lens for my Canon S2 camera.

When I use this on my Canon S2 and zoom in, I get an E18 error which is an issue with the lense not being able to extend the full length.

Did you run into this when using this combination? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
clthoma

Re: E18 Error using Lensmate, Sony 0758, and Canon S2

Nope- I've never had that problem, even at full telephoto. I've since upgraded to an S3 and still use the vcl-dh1758, with no problems. By the way, it's a telextender, not a wide angle lens.

bluenoser23
bluenoser23 Senior Member • Posts: 2,032
Re: E18 Error using Lensmate, Sony 0758, and Canon S2

clthoma wrote:

I read your post and I purchased the 58mm Lensmate and a Sony VCLDH
0758 wide angle lens for my Canon S2 camera.

When I use this on my Canon S2 and zoom in, I get an E18 error which
is an issue with the lense not being able to extend the full length.

Did you run into this when using this combination? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
clthoma

Hi there.

This is a known issue in that there is just not quite enough space before the lens bumps the back of the 0758. However you can buy a spacer which will give it that little extra length and elimate the error. See this post at the Sx forum about the same problem: http://www.s3users.com/forum/showthread.php?p=60821&highlight=sony+0758#post60821

PS. the original post was about the 1758 TC not the 0758 WAC. The 1758 TC works beautifully with the Sx series.

-- hide signature --

James
Canon S3, SD800, A95 & Fuji F31

bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D40 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads