GX8 purple haze - anyone else

Started Feb 3, 2006 | Discussions
etagimbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,121
GX8 purple haze - anyone else

I bought a Rixoh GX8 last monday. So far it's a mixed bag (I think I will write a mini-review soon).

While I can live with the overall noise level of the camera (with a little help of Neat Image), I notice an uneven distribution of "purple" noise on the left side of the picture which I cannot get rid of with Neat Image. This purple edge gets visible with ISO > = 400. The only work-around for me now is to use ISO400 for Black and White only.

Here are two examples (ISO400 - I brightened the pictures up to make the problem more visible:

Now I would like to know wether it's a bug or a feature, as I found other pictures online which show the same problem. Here at ISO1600 for example :
http://it.nikkei.co.jp/photo/camera/ricoh/gx8/sample/29t.html

Anyone with a Ricoh GX8 NOT having this problem? I am wondering whether I have to accept this or whether there is a chance to get it fixed by Ricoh.

Regards
Etagimbo

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,002
Re: GX8 purple haze - anyone else

Can post an image of a blank white wall? It would be easier to see any unevenness.

Does this problem happen only in high-ISO?

Prog.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +10 more
OP etagimbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

Prognathous wrote:

Can post an image of a blank white wall? It would be easier to see
any unevenness.

Does this problem happen only in high-ISO?

If I brighten up the photo and look very, very closely I can see it even at ISO100. But it is really disturbing beginning with ISO400.

I took photos of a white wall with negative EC (to get the noise I would get in the shadows and midtones) and brightened up the photos in postprocessing to make the problem slightly more visible:

ISO 100:

ISO 200:

ISO 400:

ISO 800:

ISO 1600:

Can you see it? I think it's also easier to notice on a TFT monitor than on a CRT.

Yes, I can see it now. I don't have a GX8, but this does look like some kind of defect. It's a bit similar to the "Italian Flag" syndrome of certain Kodak full-frame DSLRs (search the Kodak DSLR forum for more details).

I'd wait for some other owners of the camera to chime in, and start considering to send it back for repair.

Prog.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +10 more
smecrow Forum Member • Posts: 59

Hi,

I have just checked with my GX8 - and yes, I see the same effect. At ISO 100 there is no apparent probvlem, but at 800 and 1600 there is definately a purple tint on the left hand of the image.

I'm afraid I have no idea why that should be the case - any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Steve

smecrow's gear list:smecrow's gear list
Panasonic G85

The GX8 is still a current model, so I think it would be a good idea to report this bug to Ricoh as soon as possible. Who knows, they may still fix it with a firmware update.

Prog.

OP etagimbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

smecrow wrote:

Hi,

I have just checked with my GX8 - and yes, I see the same effect.
At ISO 100 there is no apparent probvlem, but at 800 and 1600 there
is definately a purple tint on the left hand of the image.

I'm afraid I have no idea why that should be the case - any ideas?

Thank you. I think I will print some examples to see whether the problem is still visible in prints. If yes, I will send them to Ricoh with the camera to fix the problem.

The GX8 has a lot of quirks, like very unreliable autofocus in low light (switching to macro mode helps a bit - what's really bad is, that AF often shows lock while it is completely off), untolerable flash recharge times, which makes both, flash and self-timer simply unusable.

But still I like it very much because it is perfect for what I use it for, street photography.

Re: GX8 purple haze - does the GRD have the same problem?

I wonder if the GRD exhibits the same problem?
--
Steve

Panasonic G85
ctlai Regular Member • Posts: 189

after read stuff from the net, I only use IS0 200 and below to do my shots

( http://ctlai.blogspots.com )

I also use external flash and tripod to help in the low light and nite shots.

Gx8 is not an all- arounder DC. its AF is very very slow and not often correct.

cannot do sport shoot (sport shoot is hopeless, but good for people with sharke hand.)

it optical zoom is limited (the tele side)

however, it is compact and can do nice shoots (at less my wife is happy) if you set it rite

practice practice

ctlai's gear list:ctlai's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +2 more
Re: GX8 purple haze

I have been experimenting with different settings - and the problem is very significantly reduced when using manual mode and with a shutter speed greater than 1 second - I tried ISO 1600, 2sec @f8.

I suspect that this is due to the camera's long-exposure noise reduction system being activated, where by it takes a "blank" image and subtacts the resulting noise from the original real image.

Perhaps a "fix" to the problem would be for Ricoh to enable this feature for all shutter speeds - at least for ISO settings of 400 and above - as a firmware upgrade?
--
Steve

Panasonic G85
Joe0Bloggs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391

Gx8 is not an all- arounder DC. its AF is very very slow and not
often correct.

What is this about GX8 and slow AF? My old GX has OK AF speed when you half press and lightning fast AF if you full press (don't wait on the half-press)

Perhaps your finger is blocking the external phase AF sensor, or that phase AF sensor is defective.

AF is slow when doing fast moving shot, like running object.

Ricoh Caplio GX8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +2 more

Well I think your GX8 is defective, or you are blocking the external AF sensor with your hand when you're holding the camera...

And did you try to full press without waiting for focus confirmation during half-press?

I know!

You left your camera in macro mode?

ctlai wrote:

AF is slow when doing fast moving shot, like running object.

Pavel Kudrys Senior Member • Posts: 2,694

I just found this old discussion about purple haze in hi-ISO shots. Any news regarding this from Ricoh? Unfortunately, I just realized that my new camera is also affected by this phenomenon. Here you can see some examples..

ISO 1600:

ISO 800:

ISO 400:

Although the problem is not so visible in resized ISO 400 shot, it's here as well. BTW, see also the different color reproduction between the ISO400 and ISO800/1600 shots! All of them were taken with the same settings, the only difference is ISO. I tried several different shots and the result is still the same. The problem is visible also on "black" shots with fully covered lens or daylight landscape shots taken with hi-ISO.

Simply, the purple haze is there, no matter what you do. It's also in low-ISO shots, but it become pretty visible from ISO400 and above.

Pavel Kudrys's gear list:Pavel Kudrys's gear list
Ricoh GR

So I did some more tests and here are the results. I shot a serie of black photos (taken in dark room with attached lens cap). The shots then were resized and placed on completely black background. As you can see, the purple haze is noticeable also on ISO 200 shot. You can't see the problem at ISO 100 and 64. I tried to shot the same serie with F2.5 and F8. There are some differences but they are small and practically unnoticeable.

Here you can see the comparative shots..

Although the problem appears to be small in these resized shots, the problem is well visible in real photos..

Ricoh GR

like the nikon d200 branding probelm, 'dont use iso higher than 100'.

I did not notice that much with my gx8, may be I only shoot at

now I start shooting with 400 but with an external flash as well.

Thanks for comments ctlai! Of course, not using iso above 200 is a good workaround, but not the solution I purchased this camera to be able to shot also at higher ISO. And because I'm not worried about the higher noise, ISO 800 and even highly grained ISO 1600 is not a problem for me. But the purple haze at one side of the photos is a serious problem for me

I just sent the email to Ricoh as well as seller of this camera and we will see what will happen. Ricoh suggested me to register the camera and fill out their "repair request" on their web so then I will get a RMA code to be able to send the camera to repair. I'm now waiting for seller's response and then I will ship the camera back to seller or directly to Ricoh. We will see what happens. As this problem appears to be a design or technological flaw, I'm really curious if they will fix it for me and what will be their response about this issue

Ricoh GR

Following an extensive email exchange with Ricoh earlier this year I reached the same stage. I did update the firmware to the latest version and that seemed to reduce, but certainly not eliminate, the purple haze.

As this seems to be a generic GX8 problem I decided not to return my camera and wait and see if a future firmware update would solve the problem - as far as I can see, the only practical posibility for Ricoh to address the problem. I'm still waiting!

I suspect that as the camera has been on the market for over 1 year, Ricoh will be reluctant to invest in new firmware development - so I doubt if the problem will ever be solved! A pity, because in other respects the camera performs very well.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Panasonic G85

I also doubt there will be any new firmware for GX8 You know, September is behind the door and then I'm sure Ricoh will announce something new instead of GX8. But as for me, the purple haze is a serious problem and although I'm hate the idea to few next weeks or months without my new camera, I'm about to sending it back to Ricoh.

They should fix it or return my money. I can understand there is a noise at ISO 800/1600 and I'm really not complaining about it. But this gradient color degradation of one side of image is simply a camera fault, which is not mentioned anywhere in manual, marketing materials or Ricoh web page. So I'm really interested about their answer to this.

Ricoh GR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads