how to make the 350D show up as a drive rather than camera wizard

Started Jan 27, 2006 | Discussions
Terje Marthinussen New Member • Posts: 19
how to make the 350D show up as a drive rather than camera wizard

Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable the annoying windows XP camera wizard and make a 350D show up as if it was a normal USB drive instead?

Regards,
Terje

weirmg Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Use a CF card reader (nt)

(nt)

HairForceOne Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: how to make the 350D show up as a drive rather than camera wizard

in the manual it says that the camera should only be used via the pc driver u have installed prior to connecting~ which means it will be recognized as a a camera and that's the best way anyway in my opinion.
--
HairForceOne, may the force be with you

SNGX1327 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186

if you go to "my computer" it's listed as a USB device

however, at least with the G2, you can't do anything from this menu except copy and delete files

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,066
good question

Wish I knew the answer, it's very annoying. You can't copy RAW views w/o Canon software, the wizard is just annoying. I just closed the entire mess and then open a real explorer window to copy.

All my other cameras show up just as drives. Since I didn't install the Canon software, how does Windows know to treat the Canon any differently.

Jurc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,541
Re: good question

the answer is: you can't. Canon cameras do not support USB Mass Storage Device standards. they will never show up as a hard drive, even with the drivers installed.

you have to use a card reader.

tko wrote:

Wish I knew the answer, it's very annoying. You can't copy RAW
views w/o Canon software, the wizard is just annoying. I just
closed the entire mess and then open a real explorer window to copy.

All my other cameras show up just as drives. Since I didn't install
the Canon software, how does Windows know to treat the Canon any
differently.

-- hide signature --

Nekdo je moral Josefa K. o'crniti, zakaj ne da bi bil storil kaj slabega, so ga nekega jutra prijeli.

PhilM oz Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

If you have the latest WIA driver from Canon (v5.6), you can disable the Windows 'Camera Wizard' popup as follows:

• Open 'My Computer'

• Right click on 'EOS Kiss_N REBEL_XT 350D' and select 'Properties'

• Select the 'Events' tab.

• For the 'Device Connected' event select the 'Take No Action' action.

Note that if you run the Canon CameraWindow program it will overwrite this setting and set itself as the device connected action.

Unfortunately the current drivers don't allow the camera to appear as a generic storage device. You can open the 'EOS Kiss_N REBEL_XT 350D' folder in 'My Computer' and do some limited things like copy images and delete all images; but it's biggest drawback, IMO, is that it won't show RAW files, only JPGs.

As suggested by others a CF reader is the simplest (and fastest) solution.

Regards,
Phil.

Geoff_UK Regular Member • Posts: 116

If you change the communication setting in the camera to "Print/PTP" it WILL show up as a device in "My Computer".

You double click on it as normal and copy the files onto the PC.

I do this when I'm working away from home and want to back photo's up onto my works laptop. I don't have admin rights on the laptop and can't install drivers or software and this works perfectly.

-- hide signature --

God, this is hard work!!
------------------------------------------------------
Canon 350D - black body
EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
Sigma 18-125mm
Canon 50mm f1.8 mkII
Canon 70-200mm f4 L (at last)

Geoff_UK's gear list:Geoff_UK's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
PhilM oz Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

As you say, if you set it to Print / PTP it will also show as a device - however in the manual Canon say not to do this, and only use the PC Connection mode when connected to a computer.

It still isn't accessed as a true storage device, or assigned a drive letter. You can't browse the folders and manage the files as you would a normal device. For example there is no 'cut' option to move files in one operation, you have to 'copy' them and then go back and delete them from the camera.

And, although you can see and copy the RAW files there is a 'feature' in the driver that shows if you shoot RAW+JPEG mode. When shooting RAW+JPEG, instead of getting a .CR2 and a .JPG file for each image, you get two .JPG files with the same name!

Regards,
Phil.

b0rdslide Junior Member • Posts: 30

Like Geoff_UK I also use the Print/PTP setting when connecting to my computers. Your comp will detect it as a camera but will allow you to browse the files, copy, delete etc. Just go into My Computer and it's listed as a device in there.

The only time Print/PTP cannot be used is when you are actually trying to use a PC Connection, for example when you are doing remote shooting etc.

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,066
that can't be write - oops I meant right :~)

If I cancel the annoying pop up, and then open an Explorer window normally, the 350D opens as a normal drive, along with all my other drives. I can see all files, and copy them to my hard drive just fine. I can also delete the files on the camera through Explorer.

So, if Explorer opens the files in the 350D, moves them, and deletes them, I'd say that's pretty compliant

Of course I don't think I can see or copy the RAW files, so something isn't right.

OP Terje Marthinussen New Member • Posts: 19

As Phill somewhat is getting into is that what shows up in "My Computer" is not the same as you get from most other cameras as a USB drive.

From what I understand, it is simply the "advanced" version of the camera wizard.

I would like this to just show up as a normal drive. That way I don't have to wait 2 minutes for the camera to scan all the 500 images on a 2GB flash to build one large list of everything and I could copy raw files without much fuss as well as keep the original folder structure.

Terje

Jurc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,541
Re: that can't be write - oops I meant right :~)

you can't see it as a hard drive - you can't copy files to it, you don't see RAWs, etc. all because the proper USB Mass storage device standard is not at play here.

if it would show up as a HDD, you would have full access to each and every sector and to the FAT table. meaning you could do read and write operations without ANY regard to the filename, etc.

it's obvious that a Canon driver is in between, and preventing you access to RAW files. therefore it is not a regular HDD.

tko wrote:

If I cancel the annoying pop up, and then open an Explorer window
normally, the 350D opens as a normal drive, along with all my other
drives. I can see all files, and copy them to my hard drive just
fine. I can also delete the files on the camera through Explorer.

So, if Explorer opens the files in the 350D, moves them, and
deletes them, I'd say that's pretty compliant

Of course I don't think I can see or copy the RAW files, so
something isn't right.

-- hide signature --

Nekdo je moral Josefa K. o'crniti, zakaj ne da bi bil storil kaj slabega, so ga nekega jutra prijeli.

Omnicolor Regular Member • Posts: 490
PICASA

tko wrote:

Wish I knew the answer, it's very annoying. You can't copy RAW
views w/o Canon software, the wizard is just annoying. I just
closed the entire mess and then open a real explorer window to copy.

Picasa also copies RAW-files. Very handy as importer-organizer before pp in photoshop.

And it's free.

http://picasa.google.com/

-- hide signature --
docfxit New Member • Posts: 1
Re: PICASA

Corel makes a program called Corel Photo Album 6 Deluxe Edition The new Corel Photo Downloader automatically appears to download your photos and makes it easy to organize them into folders. Photo Album doesn't receive the highest marks in editing pictures but it is my favorite for getting pictures out of the camera, into folders and on the web for the family to see right away. I'm not into huge complicated editing software. This is easy and gets my job done quickly. There are lots of features some of which you can read about here:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200509/ai_n15326600

Docfxit

I am just a happy user.

pyrie Regular Member • Posts: 254
350 as a drive

I think you've missed a fundamental point

the camera is only a camera with a Mass storage device INSIDE.. like a laptop or PC as a storage device..

your expecting XP to recognise a camera as a MSD - when its the card (CF/Microdrive) thats the device...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads