A big THANK YOU and Shirokiya experience

Started Jan 19, 2006 | Discussions
Will91 Forum Member • Posts: 97
A big THANK YOU and Shirokiya experience

Greetings:

First of all, I wanted to let everyone know that I went ahead with my purchase of the F11. I wanted to offer my sincere thanks to all the incredible people here that were so generous and THOROUGH in the information they provided to help me with this decision. Many members like Kim, packy and poochdp even took the time to post pictures in their posts to further enhance their answers (sorry if I forgot anyone here). Kim searched his F11 manual for me late one night to answer questions regarding manual modes! Although I knew relatively litte when I first found this forum, everyone has been so patient with my numerous questions and at the same time explaining things at exactly the level I need right now. I was continually amazed at how quickly people would post answers to questions or to give additional clarification. In fact, this forum was certainly one of the motivating factors in buying the F11 since I will need lots of continued support as I begin to use my first digital camera. Many times I was amazed at how quickly someone would respond to my questions. Thank you dpreview.com for providing camera reviews and these forums!

Secondly, I wanted to relate my experience with Shirokiya and FujiFilm Hawaii. HawaiiGeek has done us a big favor by alerting us to this source for the F11. THANKS Hawaii-geek!!! I contacted both FujiFilm Hawaii and Shirokiya about the F11. A very helpful and knowledgeable customer service representative at FujiFilm Hawaii answered many of my questions and I have obtained their permission to share with the forum what I have learned...

1) FujiFilm manufactures a wide range of digital camera models and it is up
to the different FujiFilm offices whether they bring in a model to their
area or not. FujiFilm USA is different from FujiFilm Hawaii and FujiFilm
Hawaii DID bring in this model in late December.

2) F11's bought from Shirokiya (a top retailer of digital cameras for FujiFilm Hawaii), come with a USA factory warranty. They are the only ones that can make this claim. The camera will be repaired for one year at FujiFilm Hawaii in Honolulu. The reason the warranty card indicates repairs can also be made in NJ is because often times FujiFilm Hawaii brings in cameras that are also marketed by FujiFilm USA - but this is not the case with the F11. Warranty cards are to be returned to Hawaii and in fact I was told the office there is the best qualified for any repairs since, afterall, they market this camera.

3) The manual, LCD menus, etc. are in English and the firmware is the most recent offered.
4) The camera is made in Tokyo, Japan - NOTE: NOT China.

5) The cameras come directly from Japan equipped with USA based power cords, etc.
6) The camera will use either regular xd, xd M or xd H memory cards

7) The representative I communicated with at FujiFilm Hawaii welcomes any further questions at customerservice@fujifilmhawaii.com. Any questions directed to this address will be answered by the same representative I communicated with.

Now, regarding my experience with Shirokiya - it was superb:

1) As Hawaii-geek told us, Jay Inatsuka is the floor manager at Shirokiya and is well known at FujiFilm Hawaii.

2) The purchase was very smooth. Just call Jay to order the camera. (808) 973-9111 or (808) 973-9196 direct). He is a very busy man and the only one there that can process the order, so you may have to leave your number for him to call you. Credit card purchases are fine. He also promptly responds to e-mail at jayi@shirokiya.com.

3) The camera was factory sealed, made in Japan, and contained all parts including the Fuji memory card.

4) The camera was fully cushioned on all sides within the secondary box and the packaging was some of the best I have ever seen including an exterior wrapping of thick brown Kraft paper. It was sent by US Postal Service registered mail. Someone will have to be home to sign for the camera. (You may be able to have a trustworthy neighbor sign if you leave a note - I'm not sure of this so please confirm on your own).

Finally, I think Kim mentioned about credit card extended warranties. I checked into this and my credit card doubles the warranty on digital cameras and I do not have to use a third party repair center. This means I can send the F11 back to Hawaii for a full TWO years for full parts and labor coverage.

Again, thanks to everyone for such an excellent forum. I'll let everyone know how everything works once I get the batteries charged, etc. this weekend.

Poochdp Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: A big THANK YOU and Shirokiya experience

Congradulations! I went out on a limb and kept beating there drum, here and in other forums, when certain people here in this forum had some closed minded fun of putting down this small Hawaii retailer; inferring they were gray market cameras. I thought Hawaii Geek was legit because two months earlier someone posted that Shirokiya was going to be offering them, at which time I established email contact with Shirkiya, instead of blowing out of my backside! I just got tired of waiting and went with time2envy.

Post some pics when you get on handle on its functions!

Lamont New Member • Posts: 18

Thanks for sharing your experience! I too have found this forum invaluable in helping me to decide to go with the F11, and for providing me with a way to get one that is a US model with a US warranty! I'm really looking forward to receiving my camera from Shirokiya.

On that note, can you give me any idea how long it took your camera to arrive after you ordered it from them?

OP Will91 Forum Member • Posts: 97

Thanks poochdp! I'm looking forward to learning how to use the F11.

Lamont, you will be very pleased with your purchase from Shirokiya. I ordered my F11 on a Friday and it came yesterday, Wednesday. They shipped it by US mail with signature confirmation so you or someone else will need to be home to sign for it - although like I said, you might be able to leave a note for the mail carrier to deliver it to a neighbor but you should call your post office and see if that is possible. Jay will send you a tracking number but all this really does is tell you when it leaves Honolulu and when it is delivered to your house. It dosen't tell you where it is along the way so you can get an idea of when to be home. Let us know how it works out!

FrontRow New Member • Posts: 9

Well, I just placed my order with Mr. Inatsuka as well. He's a very pleasant guy and he mentioned that he's aware of the notices here on dpreview. That's partly why he's gotta wait for the next delivery of F11s to fill my order. I can't wait!

My thanks also to all on the Fujifilm forums--As Yogi said, you can observe a lot just by watching. I know I'll have fun learning more once I have my new camera, but at least I know where to turn when I need guidance.

Lamont New Member • Posts: 18
Arrived today!

Well the postman showed up today with a lovely package for me from Hawaii. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to open up the package.

A few comments on what I received to backup Will91's experience:

The box arrived via USPS Registered mail, wrapped in brown craft paper as Will91 described. inside this outer box was nestled the F11 box in a thick bed of packing peanuts. The camera box itself appeared to be fresh from the factory, all items inside the box were still factory sealed. The outside of the box has a factory label attached directly beneath the UPC code with the part number: F FX-F11-US, made in Japan.

Everything that was in the box:

F11 camera
sealed Fuji brand 16MB xD card
NP120 battery
hand strap
A/V cable
Terminal adapter
USB cable
power supply with US cord (no issue with cord fitting power supply by the way)
USA warranty card with return address of Waipahu, Hawaii
battery carrying sleeve
safety instructions, quick start card, FujiFilm Hawaii digital print order form
full English manual
FinePix CD-ROM

My new baby is charging now and I can't wait to start learning this remarkable camera. Thanks to all who helped me with my camera search by posting so much info here, and special thanks to Hawaii-geek for letting us all know about Shirokiya.

vii New Member • Posts: 14

Many thanks for detailed information.

I have read many posts regarding buying F11 in the USA. After all now I am thinking about buying F11 at SHIROKYA.COM. But I have never bought any electronics online so I still have some questions.

1. As far as I understand the camera will not have real USA warranty. They offer only 2 service centers (Hawaii & Edison, NJ) but for any repairs camera must be shipped to Hawaii.I live 25 ml to Edison, NJ. Do I have to send camera for warranty repair to Hawaii or I can ship it to NJ? And who will pay for the shipping?

2. Why do people call to Shirokiya store or email them instead of buying the camera online at shirokiya.com?

3. If I pay for the camera by my credit card will it double the warranty automatically or I have to do any additional steps?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Vii:

Here are the answers to your questions. Do not hesitate to purchase from Shirokiya. There are a top notch outfit. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. As far as I understand the camera will not have real USA
warranty. They offer only 2 service centers (Hawaii & Edison, NJ)
but for any repairs camera must be shipped to Hawaii.I live 25 ml
to Edison, NJ. Do I have to send camera for warranty repair to
Hawaii or I can ship it to NJ? And who will pay for the shipping?

I clarified this with FujFilmHawaii before I purchased my F11. Although the warranty card does have the Edison, NJ location as an option for repair, because the camera was brought to the Hawaii market by FujiFilmHawaii (which is different from FujiFilmUSA), your warranty card is to be mailed back to Hawaii and any repairs will be handled by FujiFilmHawaii in Honolulu. This IS a real USA warranty. In fact, as FujiFilmHawaii pointed out to me, this really makes sense. FujiFilmUSA does not market any F11's to the mainland so their Edison, NJ location has NO experience in repairing F11 cameras. Although Edison, NJ has experiences with the F10, there are unique differences between the F10 and F11. Again, as FujiFilmHawaii pointed out to me, their office is the best suited for any F11 repairs as they have experience with this camera.

I believe you would have to pay for shipping the camera - at least one way. I don't think this is any different than repairs on any sort of electronics.

2. Why do people call to Shirokiya store or email them instead of
buying the camera online at shirokiya.com?

The Shirokiya website is not set up for on-line purchases. You must call Jay Inatsuka directly or send him an e-mail. As I mentioned, he is a very busy person so I found it best to leave him a call back number and he will call you. He is the only one at the store who is authorized to place the purchase for you.

3. If I pay for the camera by my credit card will it double the
warranty automatically or I have to do any additional steps?

This is something you need to check out with your credit card. Kim had reminded me of this feature and I verified that at least with my credit card, this is true. With my crediit card, my warranty was extended from one to two years of full parts and labor coverage and I don't have to use any third party repair centers - I can send it directly back to FujiFilmHawaii.

I hope this answers your questions. Please post back any other info you might need.

Thank you

The Shirokiya website is not set up for on-line purchases.

I just visited the website and ordered F11. After pressing Checkout it asked me for my credit card. So I think it is working.

Kim
had reminded me of this feature and I verified that at least with
my credit card, this is true.

How did pay by CC if you did not purchased the item online?

Thank you

The Shirokiya website is not set up for on-line purchases.

I just visited the website and ordered F11. After pressing Checkout it asked me for my credit card. So I think it is working.

Kim
had reminded me of this feature and I verified that at least with
my credit card, this is true.

How did you pay by CC if you did not purchased the item online?
Did you give the CC number by phone?

I just visited the website and ordered F11. After pressing Checkout
it asked me for my credit card. So I think it is working.

Interesting. They must have just added this feature.

How did you pay by CC if you did not purchased the item online?
Did you give the CC number by phone?

Yes, I gave Jay Inatsuka my credit card number.

Also, regarding credit cards and extended warranty, I got to thinking about your question. You should probably realize that this is not an "automatic" warranty as you might think. In other words, IF your credit card offers this feature, you will probably have to pay for the repairs during the second year and then submit a claim to your credit card for reimbursement. This is the way it works with my credit card. Just be sure to keep all your documentation - invoice from Shirokiya, credit card statement, copy of the warranty card you will mail to Honolulu.

Let us know how it works out!

FrontRow New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Arrived today!

My F11 arrived today...I had exactly the same experience as Will91. I was amazed at the package that Jay shipped it in--awesome job all around. This purchase was a top-rate experience from start to finish.

I cannot wait for the baby to charge so I can start exploring.

Thanks again to all for educating me on the state-of-the-art/science in digicams, for turning me on to the F11 and to Jay at Shirokiya.

Re: Arrived today!

Hi FrontRow:

I'm glad you had a great experience with the purchase. I wish they were listed on resellerratings.com so that we post our experiences there as well.

I received a message from Jay yesterday thanking me for my purchase and letting me know he is there for his customers and stands behind every purchase. Wow, that's a nice finishing touch!

John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,394
Re: F11 availability

Thanks for the updates. I noticed today that B&H, my usual supplier, is no longer listing the F10 on its site, so maybe the way is clear for the F11 to come to the states. Waiting for PMA show to see what is new...

Pitfall New Member • Posts: 22

Another satisfied Shirokiya customer....ordered on-line without any difficulties and received confirmation e-mail from Jay soon after. Thanks you everyone here who helped that happen!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads